• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fieldfares (1 Viewer)

Not very good at reading then, are you? Andy clearly stated.
But if it's geese, which ones split between Norfolk and Scotland? The vast majority of Britain's geese come from Iceland and Svalbard so go nowhere near Russia at all; only a very small number of albifrons Whitefronts visit Britain reliably (and they're scattered along the length of the east coast of England, hardly any in Scotland) and a tiny few rossicus Tundra Beans (again, scattered on the English east coast, very rare in Scotland). The Taiga Beans southeast of Glasgow breed in Sweden, so don't go anywhere near St Petersburg either; not sure where the Suffolk Taiga Beans breed, but I'd suspect also Sweden. So I fear, with geese, the question is a non-starter. And ditto for swans; virtually all of Britain's Whoopers are Icelandic, a tiny few Scandinavian; while Bewick's only do southern England, it's a mega in Scotland.

So that leaves Yellow-broweds . . . :-O

If the question was beyond your comprehension abilities, so be it. Me thinks more a case, as usual, of you preferring to make smart arse comments.

If the question was beyond your comprehension abilities, so be it. Me thinks more a case, as usual, of you preferring to make smart arse comments.
No, not at all. How about you explain it, then? None - or virtually none - of the geese wintering in Britain (and particularly not those wintering in Scotland) come over St Petersburg, so there cannot be a divergence point there relevant to Britain. So what is the question, then?

I think Andy's question was clearly stated and any normal person reading it would understand perfectly. So he made a mistake regarding where the geese winter, so what? You pretend to not understand to pop some typical smart comment, how predictable.

Last edited:
Back on topic ...

Hips and haws seem abundant locally here in Hampshire, and two weeks ago my wife and I found some huge sloes! We picked a few for the annul sloe gin making!

Hoping to do the same tomorrow :t:

(Pick sloes, that is, for Sloe Gin, although will be the first time for us)

No, not at all. How about you explain it, then? None - or virtually none - of the geese wintering in Britain (and particularly not those wintering in Scotland) come over St Petersburg, so there cannot be a divergence point there relevant to Britain. So what is the question, then?

Well you could have answered the question I asked then, three or four posts ago!

Back on topic ...

Hoping to do the same tomorrow :t:

(Pick sloes, that is, for Sloe Gin, although will be the first time for us)

There is an almost complete absence of Rowan berries this year here so could be a big Waxwing year for the UK and who who knows, maybe a Pine Grosser, that should have featured in the 'never again' thread?

Fieldfares still here but in greatly reduced numbers, just a couple (or the same) flock of 6-7 seen.

For some reason, I rarely see Redwings?

The lack of Rowan berries almost certainly means that no Thrushes will overwinter this year. If there are abundant berries, we do have some Fieldfares and Blackbirds that stay.

Ha, a lot of migration here, but still in butterfly season too - unprecedented for mid-October, temperature 19 C today and glorious sun. Been fabulous weather near non stop for 6 months - top year for butterflies, managed 108 species in Lithuania this year. 12 species flying this week, never had this in October before.

I've noticed huge numbers of Redwing migrating overhead the last week or so in Uppsala. Saw my first Waxwings of the year too today. Earliest record for me in 7 autumns in Uppsala. Not many berries around here - the summer draught was worse here than in the UK. Although the apples have been amazing and there are good amounts of rosehips, so I expect some stuff will hang around for a few months.

Obviously few left here, just a couple of Fieldfares yesterday, I've heard Redwing flying over in the dark but we rarery, actually see them here for some reason?

The vast majority of Britain's geese come from Iceland and Svalbard so go nowhere near Russia at all; only a very small number of albifrons Whitefronts visit Britain reliably (and they're scattered along the length of the east coast of England, hardly any in Scotland)

I had always thought that Russian Whitefronts wintered in Slimbridge and East Anglia? Pretty sure they're not Greenland birds which winter in Scotland and on the Dyfi in Wales (and Ireland).

I had always thought that Russian Whitefronts wintered in Slimbridge and East Anglia? Pretty sure they're not Greenland birds which winter in Scotland and on the Dyfi in Wales (and Ireland).
Yep. But not many left there now - with overall warming winters, most are short-stopping in Germany and Netherlands, or coming on brief visits to the English east coast during the odd cold snaps when it freezes badly there.

Current Slimbridge info is only 500 wintering, compared to 7,000 in the past (and out of a European wintering population of 1,000,000).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back