• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Rhode Island February (1 Viewer)

jort

Farnborough GU14
Hi,

I am planning on visiting RI 4-11th February and (weather permitting) would like to do some birdwatching. I will be based in Providence and intend to hire a car for a few days.

Could anyone point me in the right direction on best places to go to see typically American species (never been to the USA before)?? Or maybe I could hook up with some local birders?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks - Jort

Norman Bird Sanctuary in Middletown is pretty good. I've heard good things about their weekly guided tour (good if your short on time, local knowledge and experience with US birds).

Block Island is good birding any time of year

I've been to Beavertail State Park in summer, not in winter, but have heard it's pretty good in winter. Right now it has Common Loons, Horned Grebe, Red-necked Grebe,Common Eider, Harlequin Ducks, Surf Scoters, Black Scoters, Long-tailed Duck,
Red-breasted Mergansers, Northern Harrier, razorbills and Snow Buntings (according to birding on the net).

If you have a car available to you, there are some excellent smaller spots around Charlestown and Warwick (south of Providence). You can easily hit four or five of those in a couple of hours time. Keep an eye on birdingonthe.net for the latest.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back