• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Carbon Footprint (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

I thought I would calculate my carbon footprint using http://www.safeclimate.net/calculator/index.php

My household results for the past year break down as follows:

Transport

My car (15000 miles/yr @ 62mpg) - 3012kg CO2
My wife's car (20,700 miles/yr @ 50 mpg) - 4344kg CO2
One return flight to London - 252 kg CO2

Electricity

6000 kWh/yr - 2664 kg CO2

Heating

3500 litres LPG/yr - 5376 kg CO2

Annual Footprint

15.6 tonnes CO2 for the household

5.2 tonnes CO2 per person

Transport 49%, Heating 34%, Electricity 17%

Does anyone know what the national average is? I've seen a figure of 11 tonnes per person quoted, but that is for the primary and secondary footprint, whereas I have just calculated the primary footprint.

Edit: because the website is American I think it uses US gallons for the mpg calculations, so I converted my fuel economy into km/l (multiply mpg by 0.354) and used that instead.

Last edited:
turkish van said:
Is that carbon or CO2?

Plenty of scope for confusion here. All of the figures I have quoted are for CO2, so technically I suppose I should have said CO2 footprint rather than Carbon footprint.

I live alone and mine primary footprint came to 7,360, horrific, and I only do 5,000 a year in a 1.3 car and use only a small amount of gas and electricity.
:stuck: |=(|

speckled wood said:
I live alone and mine primary footprint came to 7,360, horrific

The number of people in the household obviously makes a difference to an individual's carbon footprint. The easiest way of reducing my personal footprint would be to have another child, as the household footprint wouldn't really increase, but would be divided by 4 instead of 3!

As it is, I feel guilty enough about allocating a third of our household footprint to my daughter as she is only 14 months old.

If I look back a couple of years, my wife and I both drove less efficient cars (40-45 mpg) but with a similar overall mileage, and we had a less efficient boiler. I reckon our annual household footprint could have been 3 tons higher than now. Divided by only two at that stage, our individual footprints could have been as high as 9 tons each!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back