• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Frog spawn Q? (1 Viewer)

pie

Good Morning All,
Last night I heard plopping in the pond & discovered Frogs busily spawning!
see pics

My grandson would like to take some to nursery for their Nature Watch activity.
Is this possible? If so, how do I go about it?
Any advice would be appreciated
Many thanks

ps I'm off to my sons for a celebration (promotion) Buffet lunch! Yay!
see you later.

Attachments

• DSC_0011.JPG
    DSC_0011.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 27
Hi Pie,

Don't know anything about amphibians I'm afraid, but don't yours look cute! A lovely capture. Congrats on your son's promotion.

Hi Pie

Congratulations on your frogspawn :t:
I haven't even seen any frogs yet this year :-C

I have successfully moved frogspawn from
one pond to another but I'm not sure how it would work,
in a jar or tank, in a warm classroom!
It might be better outside if possible

If you can you should try to find a small clump
of spawn rather than separating a large one and try
not to shake it about too much :eek!:

One other thing, I'm not sure what the legal
aspect of this is, it might be worth checking

regards

Should be fine, just pop some in a bucket with plenty of water and make sure it won't dry out, then back in the pond once the kiddies have had their fill!

It must have been the night for it Pie as I've just noticed a rather large clump in my pond too!:t:

I agree with TV......keep it all in a large bucket somewhere cool and pop it back asap!

Yep, go along with everyone's suggestions. Do the school have a pond that it could be put into? Is it allowed to move frogspawn from one pond to another?

Hope you enjoyed the lunch, Pie!

I remember when i was in school (which wasnt all that long ago!) we reared tadpoles from spawn in a tank in the class room, cant remember wether we reared them to froglets. Not sure wether these would survive outside, but i wouldnt think its a problem moving spawn from pond to pond as long as you move it in water.

Evening All,
Thank you all for your advice, I can see there are a lot of things to consider.

Tony, Your right re; the legal aspect. I think its illegal to remove spawn or tadpoles from the environment, but its ok for one person to give to another from the garden pond providing it's been a good season. I dont know how spawn is doing this year, its to early to say, but I will check first.

TV, I was hoping I could do that but I guess I would need to find a lot of clumps if its not possible to separate it. What would be nice if it was possible is for the children to observe the development from spawn to froglet.

Roy, Aww they are cute, I took lots of pics last night & this morning & made a story board to email Bobby! He's delighted.
My son is doing great in his job, I'm so proud, and what a great Buffet! Thanks Roy

Ruth, Yay! you are a Frog Granny too! lol! You will have so much fun when your grandson gets older. I can usually find a frog under the log, the children love to creep up gently & say "good morning" in a deep frog voice! awww!

Kits, No unfortunately, they dont have a pond in school. It's due to that good ole "Health & Safety" rule. When my eldest son was in school, they created a wildlife pond which was a great success for many years. I wonder if its still there. Must look into that. (Eglwys Wen Primary)

Luke, That's the kind of thing I have in mind. I'm sure the children would love to see that. But if I remember when I was in school, (which WAS a long time ago) lol! we didn't see it pass the tadpole stage either.

Thanks again eveyone for your thoughts
I can see it would need a lot of planning for it to work successfully.

This may sound brutal, but a pair of scissors works!
You only need a very small clump- I read somewhere that about 25 tadpoles is all that a tank can cope with happily.
Lots of oxygenators.
They suggest that you change the water frequently, especially if there are lots of tadpoles (kitchen seive and bucket of water that has stood overnight), and that you can feed with a rabbit food pellet (but I have never tried that), or a very small amount of fish food.
I often move some spawn to nursery buckets in the garden to avoid tads getting eaten by sticklebacks, and I don't give them additional feed.
You will need to be ready to return the babies to the pond before they are quite fully developed (maybe a few pupils would be allowed to accompany you with a teacher), or the risk drowing if they cant get out. A floating refuge for the to crawl out onto would help.
You need to make sure they are not too hot in the classroom- not too near a radiator or sunny window.

If you go for the outdoor option, not where they play- somewhere a bit more protected, and a cheap pond (if you don't have a tank) can be made from a large plastic storage box or crate. A light colour or almost translucent would be a good idea so the tads can be spotted.

Hi All,

Val, hopefully you should find some soon, mine are still producing spawn at a fantastic rate! Also Ruth found spawn the same day and as you can see we live a good distance apart. Fingers crossed!

DF Thank you very much for the advice, my grandson took the story board I sent him to nursery today & his teacher is waiting to hear from me. My son told them that I am taking advice first.
I think your suggestion about getting them back to the pond near the froglet stage it a good idea. But I will make sure they have a platform just in case.
Also, I notice we have a few small clumps today, so hopefully they don't need to be cut.

I'm amazed at the amount of spawn they are still producing! eek! :eek!:

Thanks again All

This may sound brutal, but a pair of scissors works!

:eek!::eek!: Ohh the pain! :-O

I made the most of the good weather in the afternoon yesterday tidying up the garden and repairing some of the damage made to the pond by one of my girls thinking she'd go for a paddle. Turning over a log I got a start as a big frog jumped over my hand. Nice to see they are active again so fingers crossed I'll be looking at some frog spawn very soon.

Hello Pie.I'm afraid that moving frog spawn is a bit dodgy. There is a disease called"red leg"which is quite prolific among wild frogs(those not in ponds)which is fatal. You should not really transfer spawn from one site to another.It could be disastrous.
Just type "red legs in frogs?"on google and you wiill learn more.Legality may be a problem too.
I am so sorry to be one to raise this subject when children are involved.

sincerely . maurice

Hi Maurice,
Isn't Pie planning to put it in a tank for the pupils to watch development and then return it to the same pond? If so, I can't see that there would be a problem with spreading red leg disease.

Hello Pie.I'm afraid that moving frog spawn is a bit dodgy. There is a disease called"red leg"which is quite prolific among wild frogs(those not in ponds)which is fatal. You should not really transfer spawn from one site to another.It could be disastrous.
Just type "red legs in frogs?"on google and you wiill learn more.Legality may be a problem too.
I am so sorry to be one to raise this subject when children are involved.

sincerely . maurice

Hi Maurice,
Thank you so much for highlighting red leg disease. I have never heard of it before & I have printed off the information for my pond diary.
As Dampflipper says, my plan would have been to use a tank.
With all things considered, we have decided to do a story board instead & take photographs of the development from spawn to froglet.
One of the parents has asked my son if they can visit the garden with the view to build their own pond.
This is great news, & all the advice given here will help me to a fact sheet together.

Thank you all for your contribution

That is a great idea Pie and at least your playing safe that way. It'll be wonderful for the kiddies to be able to watch their growth so well with photos and visit/s. I know you'd have put them in a tank anyway, but Maurice is right with what he says about red leg disease (in ponds) as it spreads quickly through ponds and there's a ban from transferring them from pond to pond because of it.

Good luck with them, we've loads of spawn here as well and the croaking's all stopped.

Sue.

Last edited:
Hi Sue,
I think it must be a record year for frog spawn, I am amazed how many batches are there. The other night, just before dusk, I counted 9 Frogs peeping out of the pond. That's without counting the hidden ones causing ripples.
I think the natural world is truly awesome when you realise all this wildlife found my pond. As you know apart from plants, the only thing I introduced was a jar with 4/6 tadpoles & pond bacteria in a jar. I know at least 1 froglet survived from that batch.
Also, last year I got fantastic results from Damsells, Dragonflies & Newts.
Fingers crossed for a good summer
Thanks Sue x

Record amounts of spawn here too and I bumped into this fellow last night sat on the conservatory window sill!!!!:eek!:

Attachments

• Frog.JPG
    Frog.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back