• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Funny heron - Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

Florin Chirila

Can't decide on which heron:
- long legs rule out Striated
- white coverts (barely visible when wings are folded) point to Indian Pond. But...
- no streaks on the chest, plus black cap that says Yellow (not Malayan, which has a stockier bill).

I could use a little help, please :h?:

Attachments

• IMG_5908.jpg
    IMG_5908.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 70
Ok, perhaps the leg length is deceptive with herons, which are constantly changing their posture, hence my mistake. But for the record, I can produce pictures of Indian Pond where the legs are proportionately just about the same length :)

Thanks !

The head pattern is certainly Striated Heron. It looks more B. s. brevipes than B. s. javanica to my eyes. May be that is why it looks a bit odd compared to the field guide.

My photo is of a B. s. javanica from Sri Lanka and it looks greyer with yellow legs. The op bird is reddish (on my monitor) with yellow limited only to the knees

Attachments

• ARD_4191.JPG
    ARD_4191.JPG
    698.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back