• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Buzzard takes Osprey chick (1 Viewer)

I do have some sympathy for the owner of the site who has done a lot over the years to encourage ospreys to nest here and this year was the first time they have successfully hatched young. However, ultimately it is a natural occurrence and it is frustrating how some lobby groups seize on single incidents like this and draw wide-ranging conclusions that don't stand up to scientific scrutiny.

The fact is that in Scotland, Buzzards have not been steadily increasing in numbers since the 1980s as the SL&E website suggests. They increased steadily until about ten years ago, since when their population has been relatively static (possibly even slightly decreased) - a clear sign that the population has reached its maximum level. In the meantime, the osprey population has continued to increase and spread in the presence of buzzards, so there is clearly no conservation issue at the moment.

it is frustrating how some lobby groups seize on single incidents like this and draw wide-ranging conclusions that don't stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Agreed, the Scottish Gamekeeper's Association are almost doing cartwheels on their Facebook page with a big spread. Modern Gamekeeping are asking people if they have witnessed similar incidences and what in their opinion the 'cause' is (doh) and should we be concerned about rarer birds.

Anyone feel like making comment on the SGA page don't be surprised when they disappear and you get blocked as has happened to me, they don't appear to want to hear from anyone who doesn't share their world view.

Also interesting to note that whilst they have all featured this story today, not one of the gamekeeping/shooting organisations have made any condemnation of the gamekeeper convicted of starving a Buzzard to death in a crow trap on the Glen Lyon Estate.

Modern Gamekeeping are asking people if they have witnessed similar incidences and what in their opinion the 'cause' is (doh) and should we be concerned about rarer birds.

Well there were 2-3 incidences of buzzards predating hen harrier nests on Islay in 2007. I wonder what they might make of that?

If Red Kite or Osprey make a full recovery from previous levels of persecution then these sorts of calls would just as easy be for their blood than for that of the Common Buzzard where say a Kite takes a young Skylark or an Osprey a farmed trout.

Irrespective of any species rarity value, the sporting circle despite what they might say, want their businesses to thrive and therefore want every excuse they can find to shoot as many subjects as the law allows them too. And why not they would say if the law allows and like many other professions, morality doesn't lose them any sleep.

If it became legal to shoot your grandmother then I'm sure they would be some how blamed for the demise of something worthy of "conservation" to try and substantiate their cause. I'm not pointing the finger here at the well-balanced, intelligent gunsman, but at businesses wanting to promote what they do in any way they can and those small-minded enough to believe what they read in the media.

Clearly to restore balance and limit the population of buzzards we need more eagles, maybe some eagle owls

After the piece I just read in the Daily Mail - I expect the Scottish Gamekeepers Association to be an enthusiatic supporter of such moves given their obvious shock and upset at the natural death of a raptor species on the road to recovery3:);)

Their fake concern for the Osprey is just so obvious. These are the sort of people who will then show their real face when the Osprey becoem more common and then they moan about the "poor fish".

Did the Osprey go far from the nest? Reminds me of the Goshawk taking a Honey Buzzard chick from a nest in Wales story.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back