• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Friends of Red Kites - in the North East of England (1 Viewer)

Damien

It's always good keeping a look out for other Birds if you are doing the BTO survey's but I have not heard of any Kites in the Wynyard area. I sometimes look around there on my way to Cowpen Bewley/Saltholme potentially it's a great area for several species.

I've done a few visits to my area at Beamish in Durham and have a couple of potential pairs but like you they are outside of my area. What a great way of spending a couple of hours out though

Red Kite major Survey

Hi Damian,
We are so pleased to have such a strong band of volunteers for our major survey. As Mick says, our kites may have a better breeding season this year, compared with the poor weather they've endured previously.

June

Hi mate,
Yeah I honestly don't think there is no breeding Kites up there but you never know, I have just been giving details of a breeding pair but not in my allocated location.
Have you already been out surveying your area ?
I already nest record for the BTO so will also record any nests I find whilst out looking for the Kites, 2 birds with one stone, (Pardon the pun)
Hope it's a successful breeding season and we find Red Kites breeding in locations what were never known.

Thanks
Damian

Derwent Valley Red Kites

Super shots! I agree with Mick. Wing Tag 15 is our stalwart Red Philip.
Read his very interesting History here

May I add these images to your folder in our archive? I'll use them in our publicity and our April Newsletter, too, perhaps.

Have you seriously considered entering some of your photographs in our Anniversary Photographic Competition? Details are here: http://www.friendsofredkites.org.uk/page14.htm

Save a couple of your best shots to send............... a good prize and the winning images will be displayed at Sage Gateshead, at our Anniversary Event On Red Kite Wings on Saturday 5 July 2014.

Nice trip out today including some of our Gateshead Kites

Damien

It's always good keeping a look out for other Birds if you are doing the BTO survey's but I have not heard of any Kites in the Wynyard area. I sometimes look around there on my way to Cowpen Bewley/Saltholme potentially it's a great area for several species.

I've done a few visits to my area at Beamish in Durham and have a couple of potential pairs but like you they are outside of my area. What a great way of spending a couple of hours out though

I'm surveying near you, can you pm me your map so I know what to pass on to you? I was out on Saturday and Sunday for all of the day and have seen Kites flying towards Beamish on a number of occasions. I also noticed Kites flying over a freshly ploughed field which may be in your area.

Come in Number 6 . . . .

Took these photos of Flame on Tuesday morning, the amazing thing about them is that are taken from the bairn's bedroom window, and haven't turned out bad seeing as they're at 18x zoom through double-glazing with a point and press camera.
Just shows what a glorious spring morning it was, had it been dull they would have turned out as smudges.

He was on the perch for a good few minutes, and as you can see he was mobbed by a magpie as I snapped away. Also got him in mid-call; he's very vocal anyway, usually hear him before you see him. He perches in this particular stand of conifers often, but not not usually in the open like this at our end of the stand so I was chuffed to see him there and get these photos.

Cheers

Alan M

PS Also saw him carrying a stick today, usually nests at the nearby farm I think.

Attachments

• kite1.jpg
    kite1.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 40
  • kite4.jpg
    kite4.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 34
  • kite5.jpg
    kite5.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 38
  • kite3.jpg
    kite3.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 33
  • kite2.jpg
    kite2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 42
Took these photos of Flame on Tuesday morning, the amazing thing about them is that are taken from the bairn's bedroom window, and haven't turned out bad seeing as they're at 18x zoom through double-glazing with a point and press camera.
Just shows what a glorious spring morning it was, had it been dull they would have turned out as smudges.

He was on the perch for a good few minutes, and as you can see he was mobbed by a magpie as I snapped away. Also got him in mid-call; he's very vocal anyway, usually hear him before you see him. He perches in this particular stand of conifers often, but not not usually in the open like this at our end of the stand so I was chuffed to see him there and get these photos.

Cheers

Alan M

PS Also saw him carrying a stick today, usually nests at the nearby farm I think.

Alan how jealous am I of you getting pictures from inside of your house - fantastic. Good to know he is in the process of nesting.

Paul

Cheers

Alan M

I know this could be sensitive so I'll take care with what I say, or type.

I'm sure he has nested in an Oak on public land, I think he was a failed breeder last year (edit, he's failed for the last 2 years) if my memory is OK so it might be worth passing on any information you have about Flame carrying twigs. If he is taking twigs towards a farm then he could have a new territory.

I remember spending time with Ken looking for a possible new nest but we couldn't find anything.

One of my strangest memories of last season was WT42 actually having a successful breeding season for the first time aged 8, he went from being a serial failure who had no known young to raising 3 chicks.

I'm currently keeping an eye on a territory which produced 2 young last year, WTG4 and WTG5 so I have hopes that they will at least do as well again, if not better.

Last edited:
Flame at close quarters

Oooooh, I do envy you, Alan! How wonderful to have a ringside seat and see Flame at such close quarters!
It's amazing to have the quality you achieved when taking shots through double glazing - I do this a lot with my garden birds.

Flame's history is very interesting : http://friendsofredkites.org.uk/page13.htm#a

If you get another really clear one, please consider putting it in for the Photo competition ..........details are on the website.

Cheers,
June

Cheers

Alan M

Our Kites

Some more pictures of our Derwent Valley Kites although of very poor quality they show them having fun in the sun

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 34
  • fork1.jpg
    fork1.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 41
  • fork2.jpg
    fork2.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 35
Kites at play!

Lovely shots, even if not entirely sharp - how can you keep up with the speed of the kites!!
Did you manage to read any tags - this would be really useful if ever you can.

Some more pictures of our Derwent Valley Kites although of very poor quality they show them having fun in the sun

June

Ken has details of these it is Red Phillip with his new partner. Believe me it is almost impossible keeping up with them hence the poor quality. I always seem to end up putting the camera down and just enjoy getting carried away with the display.
Paul

Last edited:
Survey

Which patch are you surveying? I take it you are on the Team? I've met so many folk, I lose track of who is doing what:eek!:
I'm covering an area out at Medomsley - I come from Consett originally so I know that area really well.

I think it's wonderful that so many people are willing to give up time to get out and look for our kites. I hope this year we'll see a much improved status.

June

Ken has details of these it is Red Phillip with his new partner.

Paul

June I'm doing the Beamish area but spend a bit of time birding in Gateshead so like to catch up on the Gateshead Kites while I'm there - you would wouldn't you. I'm the latest recruit in the Monday roost monitoring team (while it was on)

My great hope is for Kites to move south into Durham so I can see them in my local home area we have so many good potential suitable grounds for them. Our Buzzards are thriving so hopefully at some stage we will have our own kites to be proud of. I don't understand why they are not spreading out from the core Gateshead area.

I know this could be sensitive so I'll take care with what I say, or type.

I'm sure he has nested in an Oak on public land, I think he was a failed breeder last year (edit, he's failed for the last 2 years) if my memory is OK so it might be worth passing on any information you have about Flame carrying twigs. If he is taking twigs towards a farm then he could have a new territory.

I remember spending time with Ken looking for a possible new nest but we couldn't find anything.

One of my strangest memories of last season was WT42 actually having a successful breeding season for the first time aged 8, he went from being a serial failure who had no known young to raising 3 chicks.

I'm currently keeping an eye on a territory which produced 2 young last year, WTG4 and WTG5 so I have hopes that they will at least do as well again, if not better.

Interesting Mick, I was just assuming he was one of the pair that nested on the farm as he's always hereabouts, but I maybe have that wrong. I've passed on more detailed info to Ken anyway and will keep an eye out for any more activity.

Cheers

Alan M

It's amazing to have the quality you achieved when taking shots through double glazing - I do this a lot with my garden birds.

That's the amazing thing June, I take photos of birds in the garden from the kitchen window and the quality (from no more than 12-15 feet) is terrible.
I've taken photos before of Flame in those conifers from outdoors and they've been rubbish. The light from the low early morning sun on Tuesday must have been perfect. I'm not complaining :t:

Red Kite Safari

OUR ANNIVERSARY RED KITE SAFARI

Here are all the details. Why not come along and enjoy a stroll together!

Don't forget your camera ;)

Attachments

• Anniv Safari 01.jpg
    Anniv Safari 01.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back