• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 65 Diascope (1 Viewer)

markho

Recently I went to the Birdfair at Rutland and tested out quite a few of the scopes. I have an old Hawke 60mm ED Endurance and although its perfectly fine and gives excellent views , its just a bit heavy and not too good at high magnification. So having been impressed with the Zeiss at the Birdfair I went ahead and bought one. I have to say its a great scope but I am a little disappointed . Is it really £1300 better than my old Hawke, side by side at 20x I honestly cant see much difference , the eye relief is better but the brightness and sharpness are hard to separate. It wins hands down at high magnification but I just feel its not as impressive as I remembered at Rutland. And I do I think its worth 4x my old Hawke . Honestly no.

The detail at high magnification is exactly the reason why I want the diascope, I know it's gonna cost loads but having that extra bit of oompf on a distant bird is worth it.
Currently using Opticron ES80 with SDL eyepiece.

The detail at high magnification is exactly the reason why I want the diascope, I know it's gonna cost loads but having that extra bit of oompf on a distant bird is worth it.
Currently using Opticron ES80 with SDL eyepiece.

I agree Keith and thats what impressed me at the Birdfair. They set up little targets out on the scrape and you could read every number at 50x . Its also about half the weight of my Hawke which is another great asset, I 'm just trying not to look at my bank balance too much I guess.

It wins hands down at high magnification

Isn't that why you bought it ;) Let's face it, that's why any of us buy a 'scope. If the birds would stay where they are till we could get a couple of metres away we'd not bother.

At 20x the difference doesn't matter. Flat out it does. Not toting the extra weight around is also nice...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back