• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gill Osborne's 2017 List (1 Viewer)

Gill Osborne

2016 turned out to be the worst year yet for my birding....simply because work and the allotment took up so much of my spare time. It was very frustrating at times (well ok, most of the time!!!) so I determined to make this year a much more wildlife-themed one. I realised last autumn, around September time, that vegetables really don't float my boat...especially when they succumb to slugs, pigeons or blight! So this year I'm going to not bother much with veggies which, let's face it, can be bought for pennies and don't involve months of fussing over them and protecting them from all manner of birds and beasties intent on making them lunch :smoke: So the top half of the plot will be a wildlife area with a pond, bug hotel, flower borders full to bursting with pollinator-magnet blooms and a lawn area with meadow flowers. Oh, and a nice seating area beside it so I can relax and watch what turns up. I may even turn the whole plot into a flower garden (other than tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse) as there's nothing in my contract saying it MUST be filled with vegetables!

But on to my 2017 List o:)

January 1st

1: Starling
2: Jackdaw
3: Herring Gull
4: Black-headed Gull
5: House Sparrow
6: Blackbird
7: Collared Dove
8: Wood Pigeon
9: Sparrowhawk ~ being mobbed by crow over St Michael's Church
10: Blue Tit