• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking Leica pocket. (1 Viewer)

...I think that the 8x25 model, even though it's small, is not really pocket-sized, well, I mean it's not as pocket-sized as the 8x20 models.
I do not know if anyone knows an 8X25 model that has the same size as an 8x20?...
The Hawke Sapphire 8x25 is close in size and weight to the Leica Ultravid 8x20. It has very good optics, very good specifications, and is available in the UK for GBP 170, in the US for USD 190. There are threads or posts on it in BirdForum.

Here is a fine photo I had copied off the internet which shows those two and the Nikon Premier/HG 8x20. I apologize to the photographer and the website for not properly acknowledging its source, which I have omitted to record. I am almost certain it is from BirdForum.

Now about the Leica Trinovid pocket model, commented on above. Another difference from the Ultravid pocket is that it is not so waterproof: not inert-gas filled, and not stated by Leica to be submersible in water, unlike the latter, but it is stated to be splash-proof. Also I notice just now from the Leica website that it has recently been given a sleeker look.

[Edit-]
- Hawke Sapphire pocket. As remarked in the post below, it can have QC problems.
- Leica Trinovid pocket. I have had another look at the website and now am not sure about a new look! After clicking on this link click on the photo on that page to enlarge it.

Attachments

• pict0669.JPG
    pict0669.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
I am sure that the Hawke Sapphires are nice, but I have seen several reviews which noted loose hinges and trouble with the focus knob. I have never had an issue with a compact Leica/Leitz. The Ultravid 8x20 is really the compact that I use the most. But I am also using the Ultravid 10X25 a lot more these days. For me, they just have wonderful glass and views for a compact but also the quality of construction is very important. I admit that they take some getting used to and can be "fiddly" until you get used to them. But once you do, they are worth every penny. Especially if you plan on keeping them a long time, as I do. I still have my old Leitz Trinovid 10x25s from the 1980s. They are still serviceable, but they don't compare to the newer Ultravids with their better glass, phase coatings and waterproofing. I also have Zeiss and Swarovski compacts, and like them both, but when I travel, I always choose the Leicas. They just have the best combination of features and construction, but especially small size.

I haven't tried the Swarovski 8x20 but the Leica 8x20 is excellent in its size class. A small increase in size for the Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 yields massive improvements in optical quality and usability, however, for the same price.

A couple of weeks ago my partner decided she wanted a lightweight binocular. She's very much into reducing the weight of the stuff she carries, always trying to cut down on weight, so she wanted an 8x20. I did some research for her and had a long look at the two Leicas. I also used my Nikon HG 10x25 and a Trinovid 8x20 bought about 15 years ago that belongs to my mother for comparison. Both the Nikon and the older Trinovid have phase coatings.

I was quite surprised how good the latest version of the Trinovid really is. The latest version is clearly better better than my Nikon HG and the older Trinovid, with obviously better transmission and better contrast. According to the Leica literature the latest Trinovid has dielectric coatings on the prisms and the latest coatings, including Aqua Dura coatings, and that shows. I was quite surprised how good the Trinovid is.

Yes, the Ultravid is still somewhat better than the Trinovid. We both agreed on that after some careful comparisons. However, the Trinovid is very good indeed nowadays, and given the price difference she went for the Trinovid.

In fact, I found the Leica so good I may well sell my Nikon HG and get a Trinovid as well.

Hermann

Hello ,
Yesterday I had the opportunity to try the tiny binocular Leica Trinovid 8X20 and the truth is that its use seemed very very uncomfortable, first, because the eyepieces are in my opinion, "too" small, at least for my eyes, after being a while (not much) using them my eye sores hurt, second, having double hinge I found it difficult to find the exact position and I noticed quite blackout, very uncomfortable, third, for the size of my hands this tiny Leica is too small, I do not get it right ....
On the other hand, the image quality seems fantastic to me, I also noticed that the focus wheel when using it sounded quite ...
I imagine that maybe some model 8X25 would have some advantage in this sense ..., although it is not so pocket.
Best regards, Wachi.

Hello ,
Yesterday I had the opportunity to try the tiny binocular Leica Trinovid 8X20 and the truth is that its use seemed very very uncomfortable, first, because the eyepieces are in my opinion, "too" small, at least for my eyes, after being a while (not much) using them my eye sores hurt, second, having double hinge I found it difficult to find the exact position and I noticed quite blackout, very uncomfortable, third, for the size of my hands this tiny Leica is too small, I do not get it right ....
On the other hand, the image quality seems fantastic to me, I also noticed that the focus wheel when using it sounded quite ...
I imagine that maybe some model 8X25 would have some advantage in this sense ..., although it is not so pocket.
Best regards, Wachi.

Yes, pocket roof eyecups are too small, even on the 8x25. They are better used with glasses.

The double hinge shouldn't make finding IPD more difficult. It doesn't have to be unfolded symmetrically, in fact, it is better if you don't. If you focus with right hand, open the right side all the way, then unfold the left side enough to get the IPD correct.

Not sure what to say about hand and bin size. I use a grip shown in this thread with some images
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=2439175&highlight=solidarity+clasp#post2439175

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back