• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Godwits (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
Hi There

Can someone please tell me the difference between a Bar Tailed Godwit and a Black Tailed Godwit.

Are both species common as one another?

Can someone ID these picture which Godwit this is in my photos?

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• IMG_1172.JPG
    IMG_1172.JPG
    222.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    201.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1176.JPG
    IMG_1176.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 148
Yours is a Black-tailed Godwit Kathy. A noticeable feature in winter plumage is the rather plain look to the upperparts on Black-tailed. Bar-tailed shows paler feather edges.

Both species are reasonably common but have slight differences in habitat preference. Black-tailed is found more in freshwater habitats (but also on estuaries) and Bar-tailed is mostly found in coastal areas such as mudflats and beaches.

I was told once that the best way to separate Black and Bar-tailed Godwits in winter is that the Blackwit is smooth looking and the Barwit is scaley looking. the most obvious features are the tails and wing bars (Black tail and white wing bars giving an overall black and white look for Blackwit) (Barred tail and no wingbars for the plainer Barwit). Another difference which seems to be variable is the bill which for Blackwit has a long straight sword and Barwit has a slightly upcurved sabre. Your pictures appear to be of a Black-tailed Godwit - Blackwit.

Also, Black-Tailed Godwits have longer legs - this is surprisingly useful. If I see a Godwit with legs which "look the right length", then it is Black Tailed, if the legs "look a bit too short" (a little out of proportion to the rest of the body) then it is Bar Tailed.
David

Hi there

Thank you for your replies everyone. I was not sure about the species of Godwit at all - a passing question so this confirms it now. :t:

I have not heard of Black Tailed Godwits being discussed as the Barred Tailed Godwits are. So now I know the differences between the species. :t:

This picture was taken at Titchwell Reserve on Saturday afternoon just past (yesterday) for interest, and there where a couple of these birds around feeding and preening as they do :t:

They where around at the middle point of the walk to the right while walking out to the shoreline (from the visitors centre end)

Will be writing report shortly, and post it on Norfolk thread.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back