• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More Yucatan flycatchers (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Both tropical Kingbirds? As usual: April 2015. First photo from Uxmal, second from Temozon near Ek Balam

Attachments

• DSC02902.jpg
    DSC02902.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Tropical Kingbird (2).jpg
    Tropical Kingbird (2).jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
They are both Myiarchus flycatchers, not kingbirds. (I'm not near my Mexican guide so I can't be any more specific.)

I'd say the first is a Brown-crested Flycatcher from the "large headed" look, no flesh color on lower mandible (like the Great crested would have), the darker crown compared to the face, and a lighter yellowish belly.

The second bird reminds me more of a Gray Kingbird. While uncommon in this area, it is a spring and fall migrant in bordering Quintana Roo, so not out of the question.

I found 2 more photos of the query flycatcher, and they are attached. No more pics of the of the query kingbird I'm afraid, but I have brightened up the original photo and it does seem really quite yellow. Could it just be the lighting that made it look pale?

Attachments

• bcf1.jpg
    bcf1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 2
  • bcf2.jpg
    bcf2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Tropical Kingbird.jpg
    Tropical Kingbird.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 12
Went and dug out my book I bought while in Yucatan, 'Common Birds of the Yucatan Peninsula' by Neumann & Rodriguez.

The tyrant flycatchers listed in the book are:

- Least Flycatcher
- Vermillion Flycatcher
- Yucatan Flycatcher
- Great Kisakdee
- Boat-billed Flycatcher
- Social Flycatcher
- Tropical Kingbird
- Rose-Throated Becard
- Masked Tityra

Think we can rule most of those out quite easily! Which to my mind leaves Yucatan Flycatcher and Tropical Kingbird as the only likely birds?

Having said that, the extent of the yellow on the second bird looks good for Brown-Crested Fly, so maybe both are Brown-Crested Fly? Tyrant Flycatchers are very confusing!

Your list has only one of the four Myiarchus species (YuFl), and in my experience the one least often seen. If you go back, do yourself the favor of getting a better book.

Niels

I did buy it in a gift shop at Celestun, so it's perhaps not surprising it's kinda bad. I'll chalk the flycatchers down as Brown-Crested I think.

Thanks for the help!

I'd double check ALL your Yucatán id's ifI were you, if you've been relying on a book that doesn't necessarily include the common option of similar looking birds.

Oh I have been :) I wasn't really a birder back when I went there, just had a passing interest in birds, so must of the birds I took photos of were spectacular or obvious (turquoise-browed motmot, magnificent frigatebird, etc.). I already put up the yellow flycatchers on here to check (Great kiskadee and similar) and these flycatchers and the hummingbirds. I suspect there were multiple species of hummer and flycatcher amongst the photos I have, but I'm fairly resigned to the fact I'll likely never know! Hopefully I can go back some day :)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back