• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rubber armor loose ... normal? (1 Viewer)

A2GG

Beth
United States
So I ran cold tap water over the body of my ultravid to clean it.
Just ran it for a few seconds then dried it with a clean dish towel.
I noticed a bit later when putting it back in the case a clicking noise
underneath. It was a little loose in and around the thumb ridges area.

So I researched a bit online and discovered this can actually be normal since
the rubber is not glued down (I knew that part already) and temp changes will make it expand and contract. The cold water made it a little looser around the ridges due to expansion. This area makes the most sense to feel loose.
I just took it back out of the case again after putting it away about a couple
hours ago and it's less loose on the right side, almost back to normal.

Reading user experiences online I see that some people mentioned during hot weather it will get tighter again. Some people sent their bins back in for repair while others ignored it and treated it as normal. Thinking back about previous bins I had I do now recall a couple with slightly loose armor in spots. One was a Vortex Viper 32mm.

My Leica is now out of warranty. I'll call Leica on Monday and ask questions.

Just wondering what others think about this. Should I not be too concerned?
It doesn't hinder function and the rubber is still doing its job protecting the bino.

Last edited:
Every rubber covered bino I own, or have owned, has done this. As you mention, this rubber will expand and contract hundreds or thousands of times over years of use and it's only natural that it develops ''play.''

Every rubber covered bino I own, or have owned, has done this. As you mention, this rubber will expand and contract hundreds or thousands of times over years of use and it's only natural that it develops ''play.''

Thanks James. I never noticed it on the Ultravid, but have noticed it with
cheaper binos. I guess I didn't expect it, but it does make perfect sense.

It feels almost back to normal this morning.

How do you mean the UV 7X42HD+ is out of Warranty, it is a relatively new model glass so to speak, I mean it is not a BA. I would send them in, because it will likely occur again. You might be surprised, Leica is stepping up their game these days, they re-armored a 10X50 BA I bought used with total cleaning for no charge. If your glass is in good shape I would think they would take care of you. If some one sends in an abused glass, that is a different story.
You could monitor it for a while, see if it separates again, or not. I have the UV models, and have never had that trouble with cleaning the armor or being out in a wet environment.

Andy W.

I would ask Leica to agree to send them in, in some years, without cost.

Not now.

Too many people sending in binoculars just for minor repairs like this are a burden to the repair facility. I feel it is much more efficient to send them in e.g. every 10 years and have everything checked, rather than send them back for the smallest scratch. But that's me!

I would ask Leica to agree to send them in, in some years, without cost.

Not now.

Too many people sending in binoculars just for minor repairs like this are a burden to the repair facility. I feel it is much more efficient to send them in e.g. every 10 years and have everything checked, rather than send them back for the smallest scratch. But that's me!

I agree . It also seems quite normal.
I'll probably call Leica tomorrow anyway just to get their opinion.
But I don't think it's necessary to send it in.

How do you mean the UV 7X42HD+ is out of Warranty, it is a relatively new model glass so to speak, I mean it is not a BA. I would send them in, because it will likely occur again. You might be surprised, Leica is stepping up their game these days, they re-armored a 10X50 BA I bought used with total cleaning for no charge. If your glass is in good shape I would think they would take care of you. If some one sends in an abused glass, that is a different story.
You could monitor it for a while, see if it separates again, or not. I have the UV models, and have never had that trouble with cleaning the armor or being out in a wet environment.

Andy W.

I had the 3 yr passport warranty which has expired.

I'll call Leica tomorrow and get info about what may be covered now.

Last edited:
If you really use your bino's, in all weather, this is going to happen. It's a waste of time to send them in, and risk loss or more damage through handling etc., for something so minor and so expected.

If you really use your bino's, in all weather, this is going to happen. It's a waste of time to send them in, and risk loss or more damage through handling etc., for something so minor and so expected.

Yes, I agree and have already decided not to send it in.
I did send Leica support an email this morning to have them confirm
this is all normal so that I have it in writing. I have the binocular up for sale
and want to cover myself if a buyer feels any slight loose armor in that spot and asks about it. I haven't heard back from Leica yet.

Hi Mike,

Please see my sale Ad here on the forum. There's a full explanation there.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've enjoyed reading your enthusiastic reviews on the Trinovid (still a favourite of mine) and 7x42 UV+.
Sometimes downsizing doesn't always have to be too much of a loss, the Zeiss Victory 8x25 certainly demonstrate that for me.
I hope I'm not out of line in saying but my brand new 7x42 UV+ cost me about USD130 more than your sale price, I did get quite a decent deal on mine though.

Hi Mike,

Please see my sale Ad here on the forum. There's a full explanation there.

Sorry to hear about your issues GG. Perhaps a better harness might be the answer as others have suggested? If not, all the best with the sale and with finding a worthy replacement.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I've enjoyed reading your enthusiastic reviews on the Trinovid (still a favourite of mine) and 7x42 UV+.
Sometimes downsizing doesn't always have to be too much of a loss, the Zeiss Victory 8x25 certainly demonstrate that for me.
I hope I'm not out of line in saying but my brand new 7x42 UV+ cost me about USD130 more than your sale price, I did get quite a decent deal on mine though.

Thank you :)

I'll get a good 32mm. I'm thinking of the 8x32 EL SV, but I'd have to save up for that one. I'm using the old CL 8x30 and I do like it, but I'd prefer to upgrade to the EL if I can get enough cash from selling stuff on ebay.

I would love to just grab a 8x32 Ultravid Plus, but I tried it before I purchased the 7x42 and the little 8x32 had too short eye relief with my glasses unfortunately.

Wow you got an incredible deal on your new 7x42. There are no brand new 42mm HD+ for that cheap here...not even close. I believe my used price is actually quite fair after researching used Ultravids online. There are really no 7x42 used that I could find anywhere. I found a regular HD (not Plus) Used 7x42 on B&H for 1200, so I think 1400 used for the Plus version is a good price. I don't really see any others at this point.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your issues GG. Perhaps a better harness might be the answer as others have suggested? If not, all the best with the sale and with finding a worthy replacement.

I have pre-existing shoulder issues. I think the solution is not in a better harness (I have a decent one), but to simply just cut the weight down with a smaller size binocular. I'm not getting any younger and I think I should go lighter now. This way whatever replacement I find will last longer.

Thank you :)

I'll get a good 32mm. I'm thinking of the 8x32 EL SV, but I'd have to save up for that one. I'm using the old CL 8x30 and I do like it, but I'd prefer to upgrade to the EL if I can get enough cash from selling stuff on ebay.

I would love to just grab a 8x32 Ultravid Plus, but I tried it before I purchased the 7x42 and the little 8x32 had too short eye relief with my glasses unfortunately.

Wow you got an incredible deal on your new 7x42. There are no brand new 42mm HD+ for that cheap here...not even close. I believe my used price is actually quite fair after researching used Ultravids online. There are really no 7x42 used that I could find anywhere. I found a regular HD (not Plus) Used 7x42 on B&H for 1200, so I think 1400 used for the Plus version is a good price. I don't really see any others at this point.

I agree on both counts, hard to find a 7x42 period and yours look to be in good condition. I did get quite a good deal and they were bought here in AUD (they also had a great deal on a new pair of NV 10x42 at the time).
It's a shame the UV 8x32 didn't work out as they are quite petite for a 32 and weight is going to be the issue by the sounds of it. My 32's aren't a huge amount lighter than the UV 7x42 but every bit counts.
Hopefully the EL 32 will work out weight wise at only 190g less than the UV 7x42. Is there any chance you could try a variety of pairs to see how you get along with the optics but also importantly the weight, a birding club perhaps?
There's plenty of noise about them in the Zeiss section but the Victory 8x25 have a heap of eye relief for something so small and light and the optics are great. I'm not a spectacles wearer but I use my 8x25 a lot, they might surprise you and the weight reduction will certainly be advantageous.
All the best with everything and please let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
I agree on both counts, hard to find a 7x42 period and yours look to be in good condition. I did get quite a good deal and they were bought here in AUD (they also had a great deal on a new pair of NV 10x42 at the time).
It's a shame the UV 8x32 didn't work out as they are quite petite for a 32 and weight is going to be the issue by the sounds of it. My 32's aren't a huge amount lighter than the UV 7x42 but every bit counts.
Hopefully the EL 32 will work out weight wise at only 190g less than the UV 7x42. Is there any chance you could try a variety of pairs to see how you get along with the optics but also importantly the weight, a birding club perhaps?
There's plenty of noise about them in the Zeiss section but the Victory 8x25 have a heap of eye relief for something so small and light and the optics are great. I'm not a spectacles wearer but I use my 8x25 a lot, they might surprise you and the weight reduction will certainly be advantageous.
All the best with everything and please let us know how you get on.

The EL 8x32 looks to be 5-6 ounce lighter and I think that should make a good difference, but you're right to suggest there are fly weight options out there. My CL 8x30 is almost 10 ounces lighter than the 7x42 and it makes a huge difference. I don't have access to try many different binocular models, but I may go to the Audubon nature store and see what they have. They may have the new CL which I wouldn't mind trying too.

I just think a 8x32 could be more comfortable with glasses. I need to get a lighter weight binocular, but also one that works well with my eyeglasses.
I thought of the EL SV since it has long eye relief and those large ocular lenses. Last time I looked through one was a few years ago and it was very good with my glasses. I want to have only one good binocular at this point and not sure a 25mm is a good all around bino if you're just going to have one for all birding. So, I think sticking with a very nice 8x32 is what I want to do. We'll see...I'm not in a rush...the little CL is working just fine for me now and I could keep using this for quite a while and be OK with it.
Also, I like the colors of the CL and thinking the EL SV will have similar color representation. The ideal would be the Ultravid 8x32, but I already know ER is too short sadly.

The EL 8x32 looks to be 5-6 ounce lighter and I think that should make a good difference, but you're right to suggest there are fly weight options out there. My CL 8x30 is almost 10 ounces lighter than the 7x42 and it makes a huge difference. I don't have access to try many different binocular models, but I may go to the Audubon nature store and see what they have. They may have the new CL which I wouldn't mind trying too.

I just think a 8x32 could be more comfortable with glasses. I need to get a lighter weight binocular, but also one that works well with my eyeglasses.
I thought of the EL SV since it has long eye relief and those large ocular lenses. Last time I looked through one was a few years ago and it was very good with my glasses. I want to have only one good binocular at this point and not sure a 25mm is a good all around bino if you're just going to have one for all birding. So, I think sticking with a very nice 8x32 is what I want to do. We'll see...I'm not in a rush...the little CL is working just fine for me now and I could keep using this for quite a while and be OK with it.
Also, I like the colors of the CL and thinking the EL SV will have similar color representation. The ideal would be the Ultravid 8x32, but I already know ER is too short sadly.

I too don't have access to try many binoculars, perhaps that's why I've bought so many instead of merely testing? I do however have a good local club which I'm sure could be useful but I'm not a member.
10 ounces is about 280g if my memory serves, a reasonable weight reduction so if that's sufficient then your CL may well be the way to go or stay as it were. That 10 ounce reduction however is about the total weight of the Victory 8x25. Regarding the 25's for all round birding and viewing in general I think for the most part you'd see little compromise and that had either early or late in the day or under very heavy foliage cover particularly in combination. I'm really happy with mine but that is a consideration though I might add that the difference at those times may not be as dramatic as you'd expect from such a diminutive pair.
Hopefully you can get an opportunity to spend some decent time welding a variety of pairs and assessing the physical and viewing comfort.

Hi GG.

Why not take a look at the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B with its new "Optical Box?"

Jan Van Daalen has high praise for it! "A little jewel from another planet!"

There is no reason it shouldn't work well with spectacles.

"By widening the incoming lightray they managed to inplant an "optical box" which causes no blackouts at the eyecups side. I say it wrong, but it results in a eye relief to 21mm. I know it is 16 but one can get closer or further away from the eye lens without experiencing blackouts."

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3629332&postcount=23

https://www.allbinos.com/330-binoculars_review-Swarovski_CL_Companion_8x30_B.html

Bob

Last edited:
I too don't have access to try many binoculars, perhaps that's why I've bought so many instead of merely testing? I do however have a good local club which I'm sure could be useful but I'm not a member.
10 ounces is about 280g if my memory serves, a reasonable weight reduction so if that's sufficient then your CL may well be the way to go or stay as it were. That 10 ounce reduction however is about the total weight of the Victory 8x25. Regarding the 25's for all round birding and viewing in general I think for the most part you'd see little compromise and that had either early or late in the day or under very heavy foliage cover particularly in combination. I'm really happy with mine but that is a consideration though I might add that the difference at those times may not be as dramatic as you'd expect from such a diminutive pair.
Hopefully you can get an opportunity to spend some decent time welding a variety of pairs and assessing the physical and viewing comfort.

The issue for me with 8x25 and even some 8x30 is the smaller exit pupil which is less comfortable with eyeglasses. My CL 8x30 is OK with eyeglasses, but I think an 8x32 with more ER will be better. I have the first gen CL which has 15mm ER. I would prefer a bit more ER and a more comfortable view if I'm only sticking with one binocular.

If I do happen to decide to stick with my current CL then I may add the new 6.5x32 Kowa BDII so I have a nice lower power bino on hand.
But, if I decide I have enough for a top expensive binocular like the EL SV then no way I'm buying another binocular. That one will be enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back