Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wallcreeper Bilbao in Oktober

Old Saturday 10th August 2019, 10:12   #1
Peter Mallinson

Wallcreeper Bilbao in Oktober

Hello

I am going to be in Bilbao for four days in late Oktober.
Is there the possibility that i can find a good Wallcreeper site within reasonable distance from Bilbao?

Other bird sites are also of great interest.

All information recieved With thanks :-)

Peter
Old Saturday 10th August 2019, 16:24   #2
dragnil

Not sure what distance is reasonable but if you can make a drive of a little less than three hours it's well worth going to the cable car of Fuente D (Picos de Europa). I saw Wallcreeper, Alpine Accentor and Alpine Chough among others and there's a cafe at the top. Well worth the trip if you can make it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuente...te_D%C3%A9.jpg
Good luck,
David
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 09:23   #3
gb505

Hello dragni

A friend told me you have written a trip report relevant to "Fuente...... and wallcreepers. I would like to read Your report. I cant find it here on this site, can you give me a link to its whereabouts?

Many thanks, Peter
Old Saturday 17th August 2019, 12:40   #4
dragnil

Sorry, Peter, your friend is mistaken. I look back and find a brief diary comment for September 2014 but it doesn't say much - just that it's worth a visit.
Best wishes,
David
Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 11:30   #5
denisparkes

Hello Peter. I know where and how to see Wallcreeper at Fuente De - so can help give you details for that. What I don't know is whether they are there in October as I've always treated it as a summer site. But if others say they're there in October and you still need specific info as to where to look then let me know. Kind regards. Denis
Old Saturday 14th September 2019, 10:46   #6
gb505

Hello Denisparkes
I would be most greatfull for any information regarding the best sites for Wallcreeper at Fuente De! I have booked Three Nights at Hotel del Oso and intend (weather permitting) taking the gondol/cablecar up the 1800 meters to the top. I have heard that it is weather and time of year dependent when visiting so late in the year as October. If the conditions are Arctic then we will have to look for wall creeper lower Down in the Valleys.
Other birds of (special) interest are Snow Finch, Rock Bunting and Alpine Accentor. The main aim is to have a decent holiday! :-)
Thanks in advance for any tips you can give me . Peter.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: