Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

'Scope headaches?

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 11th December 2003, 11:49   #26
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo
You might well find it's the vertebrae in your neck - that's my problem anyway and it's not uncommon, especially if you are tall or have ever had a whiplash injury. Thank goodness they make angled scopes!

Being on the shorter side Steve, my neck muscles tend to suffer when I have to extend the tripod for the birds perched in the top of trees. I do believe the next scope I get, it will have the angled eyepiece cause I refuse to carry a stool around with me.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th December 2003, 17:38   #27
scampo
Steve Campsall

It seems from what others write that straight scopes are the most popular in your country, whereas the opposite is the case here.

Yet... I was recently in Norfolk (a top Eastern birding county in the UK) and was amazed at the number of straight scopes around - although they were older scopes. I think most new scopes sold here are angled. They're certainly easier on the neck and easier for a second person to have a view through the scope.
Old Thursday 11th December 2003, 20:45   #28
Michael Frankis
conehead

Hi Steve,

I've got a straight-through - mixed feelings about which is better though. An angled would give less neck strain, but it is also more difficult to pin on a bird, and in wet weather, the eyepiece fills up with water, which doesn't happen with a straight through

Michael
Old Thursday 11th December 2003, 20:51   #29
scampo
Steve Campsall

You're right about the rain - but the neck strain is too much for me sadly. I'd end up with a cricked neck and no chance of birding for a few days. Being tall has many advantages but neck problems come with the model sadly (at least for me).
Old Thursday 11th December 2003, 20:55   #30
david r

HEADACHE,
I am looking to buy my first scope fairly soon and trying to decide what to buy is giving me a headache lol
Dave
Old Thursday 11th December 2003, 21:10   #31
Bluetail
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Frankis
I've got a straight-through - mixed feelings about which is better though. An angled would give less neck strain, but it is also more difficult to pin on a bird, and in wet weather, the eyepiece fills up with water, which doesn't happen with a straight through
Absolutely. That's the reason I have a straight-through one. Even though I suffer for it, I wouldn't change to an angled.

Jason

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 11th December 2003, 23:06   #32
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampo
It seems from what others write that straight scopes are the most popular in your country, whereas the opposite is the case here.

My main concern was being able to spot the bird with the scope quickly and I just assumed it would be easier with a straight through eyepiece. Still not always easy though when the bird is a distance away and I take my eyes off the spot for a moment.

Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th December 2003, 01:06   #33
Dave B Smith

I was thinking the same KC, but ordered the angled as that one was in stock and I was going on a trip.

Anyway, what a blessing in disguise! I'm always sharing it with my wife (shorter) and usually friends and the angled makes this easy.

I was also pleasantly surprised how quick I can line up the bird. The angled doesn't slow this down a bit.

And yes, my neck is also thankful for the angled.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th December 2003, 07:10   #34
Jane Turner

I prefer straight through since if I'm taking a scope out with me, I'm most likely to have it on a shoulder pod.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th December 2003, 07:39   #35
Doug

and if you have ever birded the Choughs at Bird Rock in North Wales you will know how much easier that is with an angled scope - the rock climbs almost vertically from the road, witha straight scope you would have to lie on the floor to scope the birds!!
Old Friday 12th December 2003, 07:47   #36
scampo
Steve Campsall

That's a fact. And what a wonderful walk it is up there, too. I'd never seen a sheep jump over a wall until I saw it at Bird Rock. There must be an extra something in the Welsh grass.

To see a flock of choughs there is a sight to remember but they do wander around a fair bit. Add chats, wheatear, raven and various raptors though and for a day out with grey wagtail and dipper so close by it can hardly be beaten.

Last edited by scampo : Friday 12th December 2003 at 08:46.
Old Friday 12th December 2003, 08:31   #37
Doug

Bird Rock is great for Peregrine. Also had our best views of Red Kite there - one made 2 passes right above us just 20/30 feet up - superb!
Old Friday 12th December 2003, 08:48   #38
SimonC
Still listing - I'll capsize one day

Just to get this thread back on track
Thanks to everyone who's made suggestions for alternatives to the eye-patch idea (it would look a bit silly!) & especially thanks to those few who have reassured me that I'm not the only weirdo that gets headaches from 'scoping (worried I might have a brain tumour for a while there )

Reading some of the suggestions got me thinking & last night I experimented with a few different ideas. I can't beleive I didn't think of this one sooner I have a "stay-on" case on my 'scope (Opticron HR66) and my solution is simple! Normally when the 'scope is in use, I would attach the eyepiece cover (the big sock like bit) to the popper on the side of the case, but last night I wondered whether I could attach it to the popper on the top (where it would be in the "stowed" position) and have it sticking out at 90º to the 'scope. Waddya know! it works! Cuts out just enough of the vision from my right eye to allow me to comfortably use the 'scope! (not tried it in daylight yet, but I'm sure it'll be OK! - It's a start anyway)

Cheers

Simon
Old Friday 12th December 2003, 10:06   #39
scampo
Steve Campsall

I think with practice it's possible to look through a scope with both eyes open; indeed, I've seen that as the recommended way. Plenty of birders seem to do this. Myself I find it's easy with my right eye only. My youngest son, Matt, always looks through his scope this way.
Old Saturday 13th December 2003, 10:38   #40
Geoff Brown

I've had a straight and now have an angled 'scope. Being tall I find the angled is more comfortable to use as I'm slightly bending and not almost crouching as I was with the straight model. Also tripod is not as high and therefore steadier. I find that I am still able to line up the birds fairly quickly even with the angled model.

Last edited by Geoff Brown : Saturday 13th December 2003 at 10:41.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 13th December 2003, 12:07   #41
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

I can see where digiscoping is an insidious disease of the wallet. I believe I will be ordering a taller tripod than the one I have. Partly because of Geoff's reference to a sturdier base on those occasions where the subject is higher than I.

Comes right back at ya

Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 12:44   #42
Malcolm Onley

Eye strain

Hello. I have just joined the "forum" being new to birding and all that this entails. I was browsing the site to find info to help me in choosing a good scope when I found this eye strain question. As I have very little experience yet I'm a bit reticent to add any advice but I do have experience from a parallel field which might be of use.
I used to do a great deal of scientific microscapy and we were all taught very early on to keep both eyes open at all times precisely to avoid eye strain and never to close the "other" eye. At first this felt very strange and the brain had difficulty in coping. But remarkably after several hours of practice the brain adapted (as the tutors knew ot would!) and you "saw" (or registered) only the image you were concentrating on in the scope. Eye strain was eliminated. Once learned, that was it; ie you didn't have to adapt each time as it became second nature.
Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 13:06   #43
pduxon
Quacked up Member

Hi Malcolm and welcome to the forum. The difficulty I have keeping both eyes open.....!!

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 13:10   #44
digi-birder

Malcolm, on behalf of admin and all the moderators, let me offer you a warm welcome to BF.

Please don't feel reticent about contributing to the discussions, no matter how inexperienced you feel.

We look forward to hearing all about your birding experiences and hope you enjoy your visits to BF. You may find, though, that you become a little addicted!

I have to admit that I close the other eye when looking through the scope, but I will certainly give your suggestion a try.

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. Erma Bombeck
Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 14:54   #45
Elizabeth Bigg
Addicted member

Hi Malcolm, and another welcome. I'm interested in this comment about keeping both eyes open when using a scope, because we'll be getting one shortly. Perhaps if I use your suggested method right from the start, I'll find it easier to get used to it, rather than try to change later if I get a headache problem.

Now - slight change of topic - for people who already have scopes - which eye do you use? I use my right eye with a camera, so I suppose this would be what I would do with a scope.
Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 15:02   #46
digi-birder

I have to use my right eye, as I have a slight squint in the left one. Not enough to make me look cross-eyed, but enough to make everything blurred when I close the right eye.

My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being, hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. Erma Bombeck
Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 15:03   #47
scampo
Steve Campsall

I can use either but prefer my right eye. I leave both eyes open at times - I once read that was the best thing to do (but can't imagine why).

Last edited by scampo : Thursday 15th January 2004 at 15:07.
Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 15:54   #48
Bluetail
Senior Moment

My natural inclination was to use my left eye. However, I can't as I have a tiny distortion of vision right at the point of focus (shaped like a Black Kite - no, only joking) so I have to use my right. It's second nature now.

Jason

BF Supporter 2004 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 16:34   #49
pduxon
Quacked up Member

Mine is to use my right eye.

Jason - are you right or left handed?

Dethhhpicable
ithhn't it

http://thequacksoflife.blogspot.com/
Old Thursday 15th January 2004, 16:40   #50
SimonC
Still listing - I'll capsize one day

As I said right at the start of this thread, I use my left eye. But that is due to an infection of the optic nerve. Prior to that, my right eye was dominant.
I'm also right handed, do you think there's a connection then Pete?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: