Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Lack of RSPB Reserves in North East England

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 5th June 2011, 05:50   #26
martin kitching
Obsessed seawatcher

Attempts have been made elsewhere to attract Roseate Terns back to previously occupied sites, and to create new sites. Methods utilised have been nestbox placement, tape-luring and decoy birds. Results have been mixed, so the contribution made by the attractants isn't known.

'almost certainly' may be a bit optimistic

cheers
martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoghornKinghorn View Post
How about managing sites to try and increase the number of Roseate Terns that breed. Currently all birds apart from a couple of pairs are on Coquet Island but they will almost certainly breed in boxes on the mainland if they were to be provided.
Old Sunday 5th June 2011, 05:57   #27
martin kitching
Obsessed seawatcher

Keith

Check the end of the article you linked; the total investment is ~7m...

cheers
martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Reeder View Post
Think how much habitat that 4,000,000 plus (not 2,000,000 as I'd originally remembered) would have bought and protected.
Old Sunday 5th June 2011, 06:21   #28
martin kitching
Obsessed seawatcher

Keith

Can you list a few examples please? I'll be at a 2 day meeting in July with the RSPB's Regional Conservation Officer so it could provide some interesting discussions over coffee

I fully understand why the RSPB are much maligned in Northumberland, but my own view of them has mellowed over the last few years. They may not have any reserves up here (apart from Coquet Is. and Geltsdale is right on our border) but they stepped in when the North Tynedale Hen Harrier project was in turmoil (although things subsequently went wrong in 2009, but that's a whole different story...), they stood up alongside a small group of NTBC members when there was an attempt to remove the Tyne Bridge Kittiwake colony (another issue that's rearing it's head again, although the issues are different now I think) and they're a strong advocate for conservation in the ongoing Marine Conservation Zones project. Those are just a few examples from projects I've been involved in personally. I know that they're opposing planning applications and advising on mitigation measures when there would be consequences for conservation as well.

cheers
martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Reeder View Post
The reason there's less up here in the first place is in no small part, down to years of the RSPB neglecting the North East as a matter of policy: massive amounts of now-lost habitat up here needed protection, but the RSPB quite deliberately focused its attentions elsewhere.
Old Sunday 5th June 2011, 06:48   #29
Ashley beolens
Breeding the next generation of birders.

One aspect that relates back to my earlier post, about whether the land needs protecting with RSPB reserves is still valid, if you look at national parks, a scheme that should protect the habitat in some way (may not be as good a s a full on reserve, but prevents mass development being carried out easily) and you will see the north, wales and south west are covered by large swathes where as the south east and east anglia are not. http://www.nationalparks.gov.uk/map-homepage.gif

There may well also be better farming methods employed,I do not know this for a fact, but they don't get much worse than those used in Kent, for example in the Thanet area, farming is pretty much of cabbage, year on year, they plant them, harvest them, then scour the earth with acids and plant again, this has terrible affects on bird/insect life. If that is the case these areas again don't need as much protection.

It is also evident these days that small nature reserves alone are not as effective at encourageing wildlife as protected corridors or large areas of reserve, therefore the RSPB buying and maintaining vast tracts of land in one area is more important to wildlife than buying small areas dotted around the country. I'm from central England, and we have no RSP reserves nearby, yet our one reserve locally (at great Linford, the first inland site to hold breeding little egret) was offered for sale to the RSPB to help protect the area (which is under huge amounts of threat from development) yet they said no as they have enough water based reserves (or so I was told).

Alternatively maybe those of your from or in the Northwest just smell bad, and the RSPB want nothing to do with you
Old Sunday 5th June 2011, 20:58   #30
metcow333

also, from experience of living in both the south east and yorkshire, the biodiversity and numbers of birds up here is far, far greater than in the south-east. I only have to walk a mile or so to see tree sparrows, which are practically extinct in the south-east, house sparrows are common, yellowhammers thrive, etc etc etc. For a large part, this region also has huge areas of land that are under nowhere near the same land-use pressures, there is (I would guess) a much lower population density across the majority of the region. the reserves down south provide vital islands of biodiversity that wouldn't make the same impact up here cos the birds already exist.

http://olliesbirding.blogspot.com/
Old Tuesday 7th June 2011, 16:28   #31
FoghornKinghorn
Durham Recorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin kitching View Post
Attempts have been made elsewhere to attract Roseate Terns back to previously occupied sites, and to create new sites. Methods utilised have been nestbox placement, tape-luring and decoy birds. Results have been mixed, so the contribution made by the attractants isn't known.

'almost certainly' may be a bit optimistic

cheers
martin
Thanks for info regarding Rosy terns. Tape lures........lets not go there
Old Friday 12th October 2012, 23:07   #32
IAN JAMES THOMPSON

It's good to hear that Dorman's Pool has now become an extension to Saltholm. But I just wish we could get a few RSPB reserves in Northumberland, Durham and Tyne and Wear in addition to Coquet Ireland that is in Northumberland.
Ian.
Old Monday 12th November 2012, 12:57   #33
AndyK

Its because its too smoggy up there to see any birds in your bins!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: