Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird Therapy

Old Friday 30th August 2019, 05:35   #1
oncebittern86

Bird Therapy

Published back on June 13th, some of you may be interested in my book ‘Bird Therapy.’ It’s a multi-faceted book - the crux of which is my memoir, detailing my battles with poor mental health and how I rediscovered a childhood interest in birds and took up birdwatching as a hobby. It begins in a dark place, but ultimately ends up brimming with light - and birds.

I explore many themes in the book, built around a self-help framework called ‘5 ways to wellbeing.’ These are 5 things you can bring into your life to improve wellbeing and they correlate beautifully with birdwatching (connect, be active, give, take notice and learn). I also explore:sense of place through local patch-birding, the weather, winter, spring and the benefits of birdsong and sounds in general.

As well as my battle with my wellbeing, it was a fight to get it published too. No traditional publisher would commit to it and I was approached by a crowdfunding publisher called Unbound. It was a difficult decision to commit to something so anxiety-inducing, but to my surprise, it funded in six weeks and counts Bill Bailey among 3 kindred patrons. It also features a powerful foreword from a Chris Packham, who has been incredibly supportive of the book and message.

The book has also led to numerous opportunities to spread my message about the wellbeing benefits of birdwatching and you may have seen me on BBC Winterwatch in January, or read my features in nature/birdwatching publications.

Anyway, if you’re interested, have a look at my blog at: http://www.birdtherapy.blog and the page titled ‘book’ which has more information. Thank you for reading.

Joe Harkness - Bird Therapy
Old Friday 30th August 2019, 05:41   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Hi Joe. I’ve got it and I’d totally recommend it. Well written, doesn’t skirt the subject matter, but many warm moments as well.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 30th August 2019, 08:14   #3
Julie50

Hi

I have just bought your book from Bird Sounds.

Do not want to write much more, reasons etc.. here.

Will let you know!

Julie50
Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 20:51   #4
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2019

I was given a copy of this book recently and have just read it. It is a very interesting insight into how birds (and the world around us in general) can impact on mental health.

I think that statistics reckon that about 10% of people suffer depression at some point and the number growths when you add in other mental health issues (anxiety, ocd, etc). So the chances are that if you are not a sufferer yourself you will know someone who is. This book gives a useful picture of the ways that these issues can impact all aspects of life and the way that the author's connection with birds have help him.

Buy it. Read it. Think who in your life needs to read it and buy them a copy.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 15th October 2019, 21:25   #5
njlarsen
Opus Editor

Some statistics says one in five will suffer from clinical depression at least once in their life

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: