Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

3D printed adapters

Old Monday 19th March 2018, 15:10   #26
Hauksen

Hi DB,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbreath View Post
This whole thing fascinates me - in my ignorance I would have thought a Samsung A3 was a Samsung A3 (at least so far as the phone bodies are concerned). But the centre of my camera lens to the phone edge is 23mm as compared to 20mm of yours. Mmmm.
Another option would be to print only the eyepiece adapter ring.

You could then find a cheap commercial case that fits your Samsung A3 that has a flat back, and glue it to the case.

Nanette of Leica suggested using a special adhesive tape normally used to stick car navigation devices to the dashboard, as this allows you to take-off and re-attach the phone multiple times. I haven't tried that personally, but she demonstrated it at the Hanse Bird, and it seemed to work well enough.

Regards,

Henning
Old Monday 19th March 2018, 15:37   #27
Hauksen

Hi again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauksen View Post
Another option would be to print only the eyepiece adapter ring.
Here's a parametric (customizable) ring, configured to match the Kowa TE-11WZ:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2831903

Regards,

Henning
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 08:45   #28
dogbreath

Henning,

Many thanks - that is probably the way to go. Simple and allows for variation in the phone body. Many thanks for your help.

DB
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 14:38   #29
Hauksen

Hi DB,

Quote:
Many thanks - that is probably the way to go. Simple and allows for variation in the phone body.
You're welcome!

Here's a draft on another idea I had:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Parametric Digiscoping Adapter Ring and Clamps.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	656713

It's single printed piece, but each clamp is adjustable with the help of an M3 screw, acting against the "spring" of the material.

That could probably hold the smartphone with no need for an extra case, or glueing, but of course it's an untried idea so far.

Regards,

Henning
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 17:50   #30
wllmspd

Interesting design to customise to different phones… need to make with laser sintered nylon for durability of the hinges. May also need a spring in the Hodgetts to ensure the flexing keeps working.

I have one phone (in a case) and several eyepieces to match it to. I have made up the first few, slightly loose to enable me to use a bit of tape to get the perfect level of snugness. I will make another couple if these now. I added notches for phone buttons too. One thing to check is the spacing of the phone above the eyepiece is in the right plane, the 2 I have made suffer in spacing by about 10mm.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CCCC26B7-8987-4E98-B60C-237DF1862FB2.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	656731  
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 20:23   #31
Hauksen

Hi Peter,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllmspd View Post
Interesting design to customise to different phones… need to make with laser sintered nylon for durability of the hinges. May also need a spring in the Hodgetts to ensure the flexing keeps working.
Laser-sintered nylon is in fact what I ordered from Shapeways so far ... I have no experience with other materials.

I'm afraid I don't understand the comment about the spring ... what do you mean by "Hodgetts"?

Quote:
I have one phone (in a case) and several eyepieces to match it to.
So the eypiece adapter is exchangable? Neat!

(I accidentally ended up with sort of an exchangable adapter for my first print, on account of that one being deliberately wide and the idea with adhesive felt not working out. I fixed this with an inserted ring instead of having everything printed again, to save some money.)

Quote:
One thing to check is the spacing of the phone above the eyepiece is in the right plane, the 2 I have made suffer in spacing by about 10mm.
Hm, do you mean the exit pupil distance from the lens?

Regards,

Henning
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 21:15   #32
wllmspd

“Hinges”… I think the nylon will stay springy, something to see, otherwise you may need a spring to oppose the screw. Most of the stuff I make using an extrusion machine, but I have got sintered nylon before.
I made one for the papilio, one for a microscope I have and will now make another for a baader zoom I have, all with slightly different eyepiece geometries. One piece of gorilla tape gets the phone fit very snug.
Yes, the phone needs to be on the exit pupil distance. So I need to vary the phone to eyepiece stand-off, on the papilio there isn’t any, I press the phone into the raised eyecup.

Peter
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 09:13   #33
Hauksen

Hi Peter,

Quote:
I made one for the papilio, one for a microscope I have and will now make another for a baader zoom I have, all with slightly different eyepiece geometries.
Do you print the phone holder separately from the eyepiece ring?

Here's another draft for an adjustable adapter ... turned out too complicated for my liking. The design intention was to avoid screws of any kind:

Name:	Parametric Digiscoping Adapter Ring Adjustable.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	656770

Regards,

Henning
Old Wednesday 21st March 2018, 10:36   #34
wllmspd

Printed in one part, needs supports to print with FDM. One adapter per eyepiece, which is excessive, but avoids complexity and I can store the adapter with the optic. I like your thoughts on making a “master adapter”, maybe you could have a few “flexible” inserts to cover the range of parts... that Nylon is quite stiff, but bendy.

PEter
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 13:38   #35
Hauksen

Hi Peter,

Quote:
Printed in one part, needs supports to print with FDM. One adapter per eyepiece, which is excessive, but avoids complexity and I can store the adapter with the optic. I like your thoughts on making a “master adapter”, maybe you could have a few “flexible” inserts to cover the range of parts... that Nylon is quite stiff, but bendy.
"One piece" adapters have their advantages, too - they can't go out of adjustment, won't rattle, and can be as slim as it gets :-)

In my "two piece" adapter, the fit of the insert ring without any catches etc. is quite good, so it would probably be possible to design additional rings for other eye pieces without changing the design. I have no real good application of that at the moment, though.

Here's another "adjustable" design:

Name:	Parametric Digiscoping Adapter Ring Adjustable 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	656859 Click image for larger version

Name:	Parametric Digiscoping Adapter Ring Adjustable 2b.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	656860

The idea is to adjust on of the sliding clamps correctly and fix it into position with a screw through the rails, then sling a rubber band around the cylinders below the clamps to make sure the other clamp holds the phone, and taking it out just requires a bit of force against the rubberband pull.

(It still needs another adjustable clamp on top to make sure the lens is in the right position, but you get the idea.)

Regards,

Henning
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 23:30   #36
Hauksen

Hi again,

Quote:
(It still needs another adjustable clamp on top to make sure the lens is in the right position, but you get the idea.)
Here's what the finished design looks like:

Name:	Parametric Digiscoping Adapter Ring Adjustable 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	656902

I have just uploaded it here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2836677

Regards,

Henning
Old Tuesday 27th March 2018, 09:46   #37
Hauksen

Hi Mayoyao,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoayo View Post
Myself I am interested in adapting different eyepieces in my scopes,and since is harder and harder to find machine shops to have these adapters crafted,i thought 3d printing would be interesting.
I just found this eyepiece adapter ... for a conventional telescope, not a spotting scope, but it's interesting in using 3D printed threads:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2841245

Regards,

Henning
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 11:49   #38
dogbreath

I have been away for a couple of weeks and not been able to contribute to the debate. I am keen to try something. I quite like the option of being able to adjust the alignment of the phone by small amounts. I will seek quotes for printing an adapter and give it a try.

- I have had one quote from a nearby printer - £187 (206 euro) - I will seek others
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 15:41   #39
wllmspd

3dhubs or 3dprint-uk.com how big a part are you trying... for that money it should be gold plated!

PEter
Old Saturday 31st March 2018, 16:49   #40
Hauksen

Hi DB,

Quote:
- I have had one quote from a nearby printer - £187 (206 euro) - I will seek others
That sounds excessive ... I've uploaded the (freshly updated) design to my shapeways shop, and the price indicated there is about 40 EUR:

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/enhanced-optics-gadgets

(No profit for me involved, you would get the same price by downloading from thingiverse and uploading to shapeways independently of my shop.)

I'd recommend to choose red clamps as the colour is close to the red Kowa uses for highlights :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Sunday 1st April 2018, 13:00   #41
dogbreath

Henning - that is a much more reasonable price. Thanks.
Old Monday 2nd April 2018, 08:59   #42
dogbreath

Quote:
3dhubs or 3dprint-uk.com how big a part are you trying... for that money it should be gold plated!

PEter
3D HUBS quoted the £185. Not sure if that includes VAT (Probably doesn't). For that price I would want gold-plated and for them to come and take my photographs. 3d print quoted £48 plus vat plus postage.
Old Sunday 8th April 2018, 14:36   #43
Hauksen

Hi again,

Quote:
Here's what the finished design looks like:

Attachment 656902[/url]
About the first thing I printed with my new 3D printer was a version of my adapter:

Name:	P1290311s.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	658588

Printing of the body worked quite well with a minimum of printed support, though slic3r produced some extra superfluous support in the rails that was hard to clean up. Maybe I should switch to Cura.

The finish of the clamps would probably look better if they'd have a flat upper surface, so that they could be printed upside-down with no supports.

Regards,

Henning
Old Sunday 8th April 2018, 16:56   #44
Hauksen

Hi again,

Quote:
About the first thing I printed with my new 3D printer was a version of my adapter
Here an example shot using the adapter:

Name:	20180408_182732s.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	658619

The scope was at 25x, I had to zoom in with the phone to avoid vignetting.

To comply with forum picture size restrictions, the picture is cropped and scaled down.

The picture was taken through window panes. There is some colour fringing visible, not sure what the source might be.

Regards,

Henning

Last edited by Hauksen : Sunday 8th April 2018 at 19:43.
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 12:00   #45
dogbreath

Henning, I would be delighted if I can get images comparable to that. I have ordered an adaptor today from shapeways. It will take about 2 weeks to get here and I will post some image. Thank you so much for your help and your designs.
Old Monday 9th April 2018, 18:28   #46
Hauksen

Hi DB,

Quote:
Henning, I would be delighted if I can get images comparable to that. I have ordered an adaptor today from shapeways. It will take about 2 weeks to get here and I will post some image.
Awesome! :-) I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with the adapter!

(I'm sure we'll find something to improve, even if my first impression is that it's already working pretty well in its current form.)

Regards,

Henning
Old Sunday 29th April 2018, 14:58   #47
dogbreath

Well, Shapeways provided the adapter and it seems well made. That took a couple of weeks to arrive as anticipated and it arrived the day before I left for a few days away. Although I thought I had got the alignment correct, in the field it became clear I hadn't got things quite right and unfortunately, on the days I was able to get some birding in, the wind was blowing strongly and so movement was a bit of a problem - birds were moving, the scope was moving and I was moving (I know, I know, excuses). Nonetheless, I am pleased with the results and I think with a bit more practice, this will be fine. I have included a few examples - cropped and reduced in size to comply with gallery rules.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Razorbill 1 (Copy).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	660819  Click image for larger version

Name:	reed bunting (Copy).JPG
Views:	31
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	660820  Click image for larger version

Name:	puffin (Copy).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	660821  
Old Sunday 29th April 2018, 15:03   #48
dogbreath

I have to say having the adapter made things very much easier - indeed, I found it almost impossible to digiscope without it. I still have work to do with my technique and I will spend more time getting the alignment better. I accept the puffin in the images is out of focus. I will explore a shutter release - I tried using the timer the birds wouldn't stay still as required for that to work properly.

So, huge thanks to Henning for his design and support. I am not sure how the adapter could be improved. I know I should carry a screw driver in my bag to allow adjusts.
Old Monday 30th April 2018, 12:29   #49
Hauksen

Hi DB,

Quote:
Nonetheless, I am pleased with the results and I think with a bit more practice, this will be fine. I have included a few examples - cropped and reduced in size to comply with gallery rules.
Beautiful - I'm happy the adapter works for you! :-)

With regard to the release, I'm currently playing around with the OpenCamera app (for Android), which has a sound-triggered shutter release so you don't need to touch the camera to take a picture, avoiding the shake that would come with that.

Regards,

Henning
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: