Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Need advice for Travel Scope and Tripod

Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 10:44   #26
Hauksen

Hi Andrew,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Whitehouse View Post
There's always going to be a compromise between magnification and field of view
Good point. I have to admit that my idea was in fact to use the large field of view more for searching and less for observation, which of course affects my perception of how well any compromise might work.

I recently bought a cheap Chinese 4x32 air rifle scope to see if I can mount it to my Kowa for quick target acquisition, and looking through it now, it has a fairly decent field of view - slightly larger even than my 8 x 42 binoculars - which might come handy for searching.

Quite a different corner in the compromise space, obviously :-) Certainly less than optimum from a weight and bulk point of view, so it's not a "travel scope" setup by any means!

Regards,

Henning
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 21:34   #27
PJPro

So, I have made my purchase.

1 x Nikon ED50-A scope from Wex Photo | Video - 389.00
1 x Nikon x13-40 MC II eyepiece from Uttings - 303.98
1 x Vanguard VEO 2 265CB tripod with BH-50 head - 237.69

Total cost (including postage) - 930.67
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 21:46   #28
PJPro

Well, it's been exhausting. Why did I go for the Nikon? Well, as much as I'd have liked to go for the Opticron, there just doesn't seem to be the weight of favourable reviews out there to compete with the Nikon. I can't find a bad review on the Nikon except for the odd grumble regarding eye relief from those who wear glasses (I don't).

I live just down the road from Stanpit Marsh, so I will probably pop along to see if I can compare the MM4 to the ED50. I went along to the last event there, a few weeks ago, with the serious intent of buying a par of EL 8.5x42s but the guy doing the selling appeared uninterested in my custom.

The tripod is a bit of an extravagance but should provide a stable platform for the scope and possibly something bigger.

The total weight of this kit should be south of 2kg.
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 21:48   #29
PJPro

Many thanks for everyone's contribution to this thread.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 17:24   #30
PJPro

Well, the eyepiece from Uttings were not in stock (even though the website says it was). This is the second time I've tried to buy something from them and it turned out the good price wasn't real. I think I'll give them a miss in the future.

After a bit of a panic that I wouldn't be able to find an eyepiece, I managed to order the last one from Clifton Cameras for 349 (50 more than Uttings).

The scope has arrived and is so small and light. I thought the box was empty at first! The case supplied with the scope is rubbish....I need to get something a bit better (or make one). The tripod arrives tomorrow.
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 18:22   #31
steppsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPro View Post
So, I have made my purchase.

1 x Nikon ED50-A scope from Wex Photo | Video - 389.00
1 x Nikon x13-40 MC II eyepiece from Uttings - 303.98
1 x Vanguard VEO 2 265CB tripod with BH-50 head - 237.69

Total cost (including postage) - 930.67
I have been looking for a similar spotting scope for some time and have also decided to buy a (used) Nikon ED50 with the MC II eyepiece.
I hope the scope will arrive in the next few days. :-)
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 19:09   #32
Alexis Powell

Quote:
...After a bit of a panic that I wouldn't be able to find an eyepiece, I managed to order the last one from Clifton Cameras for 349 (50 more than Uttings).

The scope has arrived and is so small and light. I thought the box was empty at first! The case supplied with the scope is rubbish....I need to get something a bit better (or make one)...
These days, I think Fieldscope eyepieces are best ordered direct from Japan (better price and availability).

I agree about the case. It is ridiculously complex (zippers, clasps, draw strings) and not practical. You can cut and sew a zipper onto the front to make the case "stay on", and I understand that several brands of stay-on cases are available for the ED50. I prefer keeping the scope as compact and simple as possible, so mine gets a slip-on flip-down front lens cap (Quake Bushwacker Optics Cover #7, black version) which also adds rubber armor to the objective lens cell, and the rest of the body is wrapped in McNett camoform gun wrap which protects it from scuffs. For transport, the scope slips into an Op/Tech neoprene cover for some extra protection. Over the years, I've taken it on many travels/hikes/adventures without incident. Do protect it from falls, or the prism housing can crack open like an egg. I've see that happen.

I hope you like the scope. Enjoy!

--AP
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 20:44   #33
PJPro

Hmm. Can't find the Bushwacker in black in the UK (or Europe). Only Amber...and I don't like the amber caps. Why is everything so difficult?

I like the McNett stuff but am not too keen on camo. There is a black variant (which I prefer) but, wouldn't you know it, it's currently unavailable!
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 02:56   #34
Alexis Powell

Quote:
...I like the McNett stuff but am not too keen on camo. There is a black variant (which I prefer) but, wouldn't you know it, it's currently unavailable!
I don't like camo either, and the black never seems to be available. I've ended up going with the snow camo (white and black pattern).

--AP
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 06:01   #35
paddy7

Quote:
Hmm. Can't find the Bushwacker in black in the UK (or Europe). Only Amber...and I don't like the amber caps. Why is everything so difficult?

I like the McNett stuff but am not too keen on camo. There is a black variant (which I prefer) but, wouldn't you know it, it's currently unavailable!
Had a similar search for black Bushwackers recently, with no luck in UK, so ordered amber; was pleasantly surprised how subdued the colour was though, as i was expecting a traffic light. I wondered if anyone had tried any product to take the colour down towards black though?
Got mine through ANT Supplies in Swansea via Google.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 08:25   #36
pete_gamby
Birds? What Birds?!

Although Amazon don't list them as a single unit, there ought to be a size in our objective lens cover range that would fit an ED50:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005XXZG6M/

These can be ordered in single units from us - 5 plus 3 P&P in the UK. Order would need to be placed by phoning the Luton office as the single units don't have a part number as such.

Cheers, Pete
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 10:03   #37
Kammerdiner

Cley Spy makes (made?) a SOC for the ED50. They weren't available here in the states, but users seemed to like them.

I use the supplied case for transport, but in the field I use the little duffer butt naked. Just be careful.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 12:09   #38
PJPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_gamby View Post
Although Amazon don't list them as a single unit, there ought to be a size in our objective lens cover range that would fit an ED50:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005XXZG6M/

These can be ordered in single units from us - 5 plus 3 P&P in the UK. Order would need to be placed by phoning the Luton office as the single units don't have a part number as such.

Cheers, Pete
I think they would be perfect for my wife's Conquests (she hates the ones supplied as standard) but I like the wider rubber rand of the Bushwacker for the scope.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 12:10   #39
PJPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy7 View Post
Had a similar search for black Bushwackers recently, with no luck in UK, so ordered amber; was pleasantly surprised how subdued the colour was though, as i was expecting a traffic light. I wondered if anyone had tried any product to take the colour down towards black though?
Got mine through ANT Supplies in Swansea via Google.
A sharpie maybe?
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 13:06   #40
PJPro

I was a bit concerned that I hadn't had a confirmation email from Clifton Cameras regarding the eyepiece I ordered last yesterday. The 13-40x was listed as the last one. It's now listed as available to order. I logged onto their website and the order was listed as pending, so I gave them a ring. They confirmed the order would be with me by Monday.

For a moment I was worried I would be left with a scope and tripod but no eyepiece for the foreseeable future. Clifton Cameras was the only UK site I could find listing the 13-40x as available. Maybe these are being phased out, along with the wide angle MC?
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 13:24   #41
Kammerdiner

Yes, this is why I earlier suggested looking at Opticron or Kowa. Nikon is not supporting this scope. I think you can get what you want, but it may take a bit of effort. I hope it works out though. The ED50 is quite a marvel, the smallest and lightest available with performance second to none. Hope it works out well!

Mark
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 14:27   #42
steppsch

Quote:
I was a bit concerned that I hadn't had a confirmation email from Clifton Cameras regarding the eyepiece I ordered last yesterday. The 13-40x was listed as the last one. It's now listed as available to order. I logged onto their website and the order was listed as pending, so I gave them a ring. They confirmed the order would be with me by Monday.

For a moment I was worried I would be left with a scope and tripod but no eyepiece for the foreseeable future. Clifton Cameras was the only UK site I could find listing the 13-40x as available. Maybe these are being phased out, along with the wide angle MC?
The eyepiece is also listed on amazon.co.uk. On the amazon website are also three more sellers which list the eyepiece. :)
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 16:17   #43
PJPro

Do you mean this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-20-60...yepiece+13-40x
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 16:24   #44
steppsch

Quote:
Yep. See the description:

"Nikon MCII Eyepieces for Fieldscopes (...). 13-40x magnification with a 50mm lens; 20-60x with 60mm lens, and 25-75x with a 82mm objective lens."
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 16:27   #45
PJPro

Damn! Should have got that one. It is slightly cheaper (3) but, more importantly, would have been here today rather than Monday (I have Amazon Prime).
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 16:28   #46
PJPro

Just need to track down 27x wide MC II (at a sensible price).
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 16:42   #47
Kammerdiner

Quote:
That's the one I use. If you can get it, wow. You should be ready to go!
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 17:17   #48
Alexis Powell

Quote:
I'm not sure if you can find anything new except the DS version nowadays. If you are fine with that one, I recommend ordering direct from Japan. It won't have a warranty, but eyepieces don't need one anyway. In the USA, the easiest option is to purchase as direct import through Amazon USA. Right now, it is available for $200 (including shipping!).
https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Fieldsc.../dp/B0007NXT5S

If you can find it used, the Nikon 40/50x WF is a nice option because it is very compact compared to the optically equivalent MC and DS versions. Another option, especially if you want something compact, is to adapt an astro eyepiece. I included a link to a thread on that in an earlier post.

--AP
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 21:52   #49
PJPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis Powell View Post
If you can find it used, the Nikon 40/50x WF is a nice option because it is very compact compared to the optically equivalent MC and DS versions. Another option, especially if you want something compact, is to adapt an astro eyepiece. I included a link to a thread on that in an earlier post.
I did look at that thread but I doubt whether I have the expertise or tools to produce the threaded tube....but an interesting read anyway.
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 21:52   #50
PJPro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
That's the one I use. If you can get it, wow. You should be ready to go!
Maybe I'll get lucky and find one on ebay?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: