Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Swift Tyrol 15x60

Old Sunday 31st March 2019, 12:07   #1
Joker9937

Swift Tyrol 15x60

I have had little to no luck with this binocular. Thought it might be of interest to some, and maybe elicit some help for me by posting.

I am a rookie at the vintage binocular pursuit, but my impression is that this is/was a nice binocular when new. My particular set is still very nice, but in the process of attempting to free a frozen diopter over the period of roughly a month, I broke the diopter ring and threaded sleeve. However, the image quality through the intact side seems excellent, all things considered. Looking at Jupiter showed a sharp round ball, and 4 pin-point moons. Not sure that any detail of the surface would be perceptible, but on a tripod, I would not be surprised. Daytime views are sharp with nice color and contrast. I would love to actually use them to observe the bald eagles behind my house.

So, does anyone on here have any first-hand knowledge/experience, or any book knowledge of them, for that matter?

I can say that they seem to be worth the effort that I am going to need to put forth to get them properly repaired. I have posted a couple of want ads for parts, but don't know how to do that on this site.

If there have been other posts on this site about them, I apologize for starting a new thread. I searched, but did not find anything. If anyone else needs details about mine to compare to theirs, I am happy to oblige. If you need/want more pics, I can do that too.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190228_175203.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	691192  
Old Sunday 31st March 2019, 17:08   #2
Binastro

Thanks Joker,
The Swift 15x60 is no joke. Should be nice.
I have not come across this model. Maybe not imported to U.K.?

I used a specially made Soviet 20x60 for years.
It is possible to see Jupiter's two equatorial bands with 20x or 22x, possibly 18x, but somebody with very fine might see them with a 15x60.
To be seen as one combined darker belt probably needs less magnification.
Jupiter is very low here, but should be fine for you.

I can make out the gap between Saturn and its rings with Canon 18x50 sometimes, but it usually needs 20x60.

Some people can see Jupiter's moons with unaided eyes, so any binocular can show them.

There is a good repairer called Cory, (Suddarth Optical Repairs), in the U.S. Perhaps ask him to repair the binocular.

P.S.
The field seems average at 4.0 degrees.
Possibly 3 element eyepieces.
I have an old Zeiss 15x60, from memory 4.4 degrees. It is really nice.
And a Soviet 15x50.

How much does the Swift Tyrol 15x60 weigh?

B.

Last edited by Binastro : Sunday 31st March 2019 at 17:36.
Old Monday 1st April 2019, 10:27   #3
Joker9937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binastro View Post
Thanks Joker,
The Swift 15x60 is no joke. Should be nice.
I have not come across this model. Maybe not imported to U.K.?

I used a specially made Soviet 20x60 for years.
It is possible to see Jupiter's two equatorial bands with 20x or 22x, possibly 18x, but somebody with very fine might see them with a 15x60.
To be seen as one combined darker belt probably needs less magnification.
Jupiter is very low here, but should be fine for you.

I can make out the gap between Saturn and its rings with Canon 18x50 sometimes, but it usually needs 20x60.

Some people can see Jupiter's moons with unaided eyes, so any binocular can show them.

There is a good repairer called Cory, (Suddarth Optical Repairs), in the U.S. Perhaps ask him to repair the binocular.

P.S.
The field seems average at 4.0 degrees.
Possibly 3 element eyepieces.
I have an old Zeiss 15x60, from memory 4.4 degrees. It is really nice.
And a Soviet 15x50.

How much does the Swift Tyrol 15x60 weigh?

B.
Thank you for the response. I have a few binoculars that I will probably send to SOR. He is the most well-regarded repairman that I know of here. Very personable guy, I understand.

I don't know much about this model at all. I am hoping to learn a little. What little I do know, though, leads me to believe, like you said, they are no joke. I think they are potentially very nice binoculars. Still very frustrated that I failed the simple repair.

I do not know their weight, and don't have an appropriate scales. Just comparing them to others I have, Audubons and a few others, they seem light relative to their size.
Old Monday 1st April 2019, 23:45   #4
Steve C

I have had very excellent service on several brands of binoculars, mostly Swift from Nicholas Crista at https://nrcoptics.wordpress.com/. He was the head repair man for Swift back in the day before Allison Swift. He was backing off a bit when last I used him, but if he still is working, and more importantly considering new clients, I'd give him a call at least.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". Teddy Roosevelt.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: