Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Strontian Black Duck During Eclipse

Old Tuesday 27th August 2019, 10:02   #1
gnome

Strontian Black Duck During Eclipse

I'm due to take my daughter up to Edinburgh Uni in a couple of weeks. Whilst up there I was thinking I might take the opportunity to go and see the Black Duck. However, there have been no updates for a while and I am guessing that it hides out somewhere whilst it's in eclipse. Does anyone have any idea where this might be and if it's twitchable at all?

TIA

Adam
Old Tuesday 27th August 2019, 10:07   #2
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Hi Adam. I think the last time it was reported was upstream of the second bridge. I walked up along the footpath past the school but potentially you’ll get better views of the river from the Polloch Road. We saw a decent flock of Mallard upstream but it was through some pretty thick vegetation. As such I couldn’t pick it out if indeed it was amongst them.

Good luck if you go.

Rich

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 27th August 2019, 12:00   #3
rollingthunder

Make sure its not during a full Solar one otherwise you wont see it

Laurie
Old Sunday 1st September 2019, 16:05   #4
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

It’s been reported today upstream of the second bridge.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd September 2019, 11:16   #5
gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
It’s been reported today upstream of the second bridge.
Yes, thanks for that. I got in touch with the finder via Twitter and he kindly told me where he'd seen it. I'll post a screenshot below in case anyone else is interested. His instructions were: park at the church, cross the bridge and take the first left. I wasn't going to bother trying for it unless there was some news but now it's still being seen I'll have a crack at it this coming weekend.

With me luck!

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StrontianDuck.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	703644  
Old Friday 6th September 2019, 15:56   #6
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Good luck Adam. Quite a lot of vegetation at that location to peer through.

Rich

Old Tuesday 10th September 2019, 17:27   #7
gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkWGriswold View Post
Good luck Adam. Quite a lot of vegetation at that location to peer through.

Rich
Yes indeed there was! I'm pleased to report back that I managed to see the bird though the vegetation proved somewhat problematic. For those who are interested there's a full write-up on my blog here.

Someone e-mailed me after I'd seen it asking for detailed instructions so I thought I'd reproduce below what I wrote in case it's of any use to anyone else.

The bird is just upstream of the second bridge, so around here. Park at the church and walk across the bridge and then immediately turn left through the gate marked Drumnatorran Farm (or something like that). The bird and its female Mallard mate hang out anywhere upstream of here. There is about 20 yards of wooded area on the left first of all and then it opens out to an overgrown area where you can see people have walked through it to get to the river. Please be warned that the ducks are rather wary and if you blindly blunder down there as I first did then you'll probably push them into the overhanding trees where they'll be hard to see. If you approach cautiously then you'll stand a better chance. It's still possible to view the ducks when they're under the trees by going through the wooded area itself where you can look across the river and this is what I ended up doing after I'd spooked them.

Last edited by gnome : Tuesday 10th September 2019 at 20:21.
Old Tuesday 10th September 2019, 18:02   #8
ClarkWGriswold
Carpe Carpum
BF Supporter 2019

Congratulations

Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 08:44   #9
gnome

I just thought I'd share a couple of photos for good measure. In the first shot you can see how skulking it was, hiding right under a tree on the far bank. It took a bit of work to get into a position to see it.

Good luck to anyone else thinking of going for it.

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_BlkDk2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	704594  Click image for larger version

Name:	_BlkDk_700px.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	704595  
Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 09:59   #10
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

You've done well there Gnome, and a good write up on the blog too.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: