Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Question about Mexico City

Old Saturday 7th September 2019, 22:27   #1
Eduardo Nadal

Question about Mexico City

Hi, I will have just one day in CDMX to go birding, could you recommend me a place other than Chapultepec park? Thanks!
Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 01:30   #2
Maroon Jay
Airborne

Here are some suggestions.
1. Desierto de los Leones. This is not a desert and there are no lions. It is a National Park.
2. Xochimilco. Here you can go for a boat ride to see water birds such as egrets
3. Popocatepetl Park. This is an active volcano in a national park about one hours drive from the city. You can take a bus. Here you can see the Striped Sparrow, Steller's Jay and others.
4. Popo Park. This is not a park, it is the village at the base of the volcano. At Hotel Eden there are many birds in the garden including White-eared Hummingbird, Buff-breasted Flycatcher, Gray Silky Flycatcher, and others. Yellow-eyed Juncos are common. The owner of the hotel will drive you to the volcano for a fee.
5. Beryline Hummingbirds are common right in the city wherever there are flowers.
6. And of course, Chalultepec that you already know about.
I know Mexico City well so if you have questions I will be happy to help.
Cheers

BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014 2015 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 09:16   #3
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon Jay View Post
3. Popocatepetl Park. This is an active volcano in a national park about one hours drive from the city. You can take a bus. Here you can see the Striped Sparrow, Steller's Jay and others.
It's active currently - don't be surprised if the area is closed off for safety!
https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/popocatepetl/news.html
Old Sunday 8th September 2019, 14:21   #4
Maroon Jay
Airborne

Yes, it is active and spewing ash. It has been off and on for years. The park around the volcano may or may not be open. There is a tour bus that goes there from Mexico City every Tues and Sat. They would know if it is open or not. Their telephone is +1 (877) 329-4461
Anyways, I found the best birding around the village of Popo Park which is a fair ways from the volcano although I would not want to be there if it blew its top. Although I found the Striped Sparrow only near the top. Thanks to the volcano, there is no logging or development so it is a good place for birds. The hotel at Popo Park would also have the latest information +52 597 976 7964
Anyways, Desierto de los Liones is closer and lots of birds there.

BF Supporter 2012 2013 2014 2015 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 9th September 2019, 15:43   #5
pbjosh

Assuming safety is still ok, Milpa Alta is a nice spot technically in city limits but a few hrs from some parts of the city. Notably it is a good site for Sierra Madre Sparrow and Strickland’s WP. It has generally good grassland and pine woodland birding. I went there in ‘13 or ‘14 as it was distinctly safer than the typical Sierra Madre Sparrow stakeout and we had a wonderful day.

Anyone have current gen?
Old Tuesday 10th September 2019, 22:30   #6
Eduardo Nadal

Thanks a lot!! Very good information, I think I will try Desierto de los Leones, thanks!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: