Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Uganda/Rwanda

Old Wednesday 11th September 2019, 01:15   #1
Rgallardy

Uganda/Rwanda

Hi all,

Well, i'm in the midsts of planning a 8-9 month trip to Africa and definitely am in need of some help and advice! I've pretty much sorted out a general itinerary, but there are some large gaps for some countries when it comes to independent trip reports. I'm going to break these out by country so that it's more searchable in the future. At the moment I'm looking for general advice and of course GPS coordinates if anyone out there has them. I'm also going to be in the need for lot of audio so if anyone has some solid sets and would like to share, I'd be willing to take them. Of course I am audio for about half the world to trade if needed. ;-)

As expected this trip is dubbed "No endemic left behind" with the goal of trying to clean up as much as possible. The plan is the buy a 4x4 Toyota Hillux in South Africa in January and then proceed on an itinerary that heads north along the eastern part of Africa before looping back around and doing Namibia/Angola (with plane trips for Ghana, Gabon, Sao Tome).

Plenty of good trip reports out there for the majority of the country

Uganda

-Has anyone been to Kidepo National Park?
-Thoughts on skipping Mabamba Swamp and getting Shoebill in Murchison Falls? Mabamba seems to be a filler spot and not really necessary (thoughts?)
-Thoughts on tracking down some of the goodies, Gray Ground-Thrush, Shelley's Crimsonwing, White-naped Pigeon, Ring-necked Francolin
-Has anyone gone for Fox's Weaver at Pian Upe Game Reserve yet? (GPS info?)

Rwanda
-What's everyone's thoughts on attempting to get Albertine Owlet in Nyungwe National Park? I think I read something about you not being allowed out at night? Any thoughts on that or ways to get around it?

Thanks

Ross
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 18:12   #2
Jon Gallagher

Ross--only a few answers... male Shelley's Crimsonwing with a small group of Dusky Crimsonwings on a side trail in Ruhija (Bwindi), and 2 White-naped Pigeons in Buhoma (Bwindi) in October 2009. The Shoebill at Mabamba involves a pleasant boat trip and is close to the airport, so convenient... Cheers, Jon
Old Friday 13th September 2019, 21:13   #3
andyadcock

Hi Ross,
have literally just returned from a couple of weeks in Uganda, primarilly for Shoebill and Rwanda.

We will put some kind of report together but it won't be ready for a few weeks, I'll pm you when done.

Highlights, Shoebill, Red-collared Mountain Babbler, Red-chested Owlet, the latter photographed. We used Claver Ntoyinkima in Rwanda who was simply one of, if not the best, guide I've personally had anywhere but if you intend to use him, get in early, he's in demand. He's a contributor to the book 'Wild Rwanda' and can be contacted on FB.

Last edited by andyadcock : Friday 13th September 2019 at 21:23.
Old Saturday 14th September 2019, 10:59   #4
MikeMules

My father and sister were in Uganda in February and used http://www.harriertours.com/; they both highly recommend the guide, Harriet Kemigisha.
Old Saturday 14th September 2019, 13:51   #5
FOOON

Hi

Travelled to Uganda, last month, and also used Harrier Tours (as previous post) excellent in all respects.

My guide was: [email protected]. Absolute top guide, and lives in Bwindi area. He can be hired direct.
Old Sunday 15th September 2019, 05:35   #6
SteveClark

I have not been to Rwanda but lived in Uganda in 2016-17 for a year. We visited many parks including Kidepo. Overall less expensive than Tanzania (parks and accommodation). My trip report is at https://www.dropbox.com/s/yard96xkl8...eport.pdf?dl=0

Any questions my email is [email protected]
Old Sunday 15th September 2019, 18:12   #7
johnraven

The road running through Nyungwe is open all the time. There is nothing to stop you from listening for the owl from the roadside. Probably far more realistic than trying to walk on a path at night! I'm sure the rangers at the park headquarters would be willing to help, for a fee. I doubt the nearby accommodation is within walking distance of an owl, so you will need a vehicle, which indeed you have.
Old Sunday 15th September 2019, 18:37   #8
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnraven View Post
The road running through Nyungwe is open all the time. There is nothing to stop you from listening for the owl from the roadside. Probably far more realistic than trying to walk on a path at night! I'm sure the rangers at the park headquarters would be willing to help, for a fee. I doubt the nearby accommodation is within walking distance of an owl, so you will need a vehicle, which indeed you have.
When was the last reliable sighting?

We certainly had no realistic expectation of seeing or even hearing it.
Old Tuesday 17th September 2019, 01:40   #9
Rgallardy

Thanks all for the info so far. Looking forward to the trip report Andy and will check out yours as well Steve

Ross
Old Wednesday 25th September 2019, 21:16   #10
seedyrom

We used Johnnie Kamugisha when we went to Uganda. Lovely man and a great guide. my trip report is on here.
Old Tuesday 1st October 2019, 18:11   #11
GDK

Hi Ross,

Sounds great. I would consider the Kirimia River Trail in Semuliki NP if you have the time and it's accessible in terms of safety. We had Grey-ground Thrush (only gone down as a probable on views, but Im sure it was a pair that responded to playback by flying at us after we flushed them off the trail), Lyre-tailed and Zenker's Honeyguide both displaying and a lot of other good Congo Basin Forests stuff when there in Feb. 2006.

Cheers,
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: