• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New scope from Zeiss... (3 Viewers)

Here is a rather new video on the the Harpia. There are some info on the optics in there that might be of interest. Some of it might be "controversial". What is not said on Zeiss homepage, but in the video is that HT-glass is used in the Harpia. Maybe not that surprising? Also the "base plate" will be compatible with some manfrotto heads (shown in the video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgUVX-gfxVw

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Vespobuteo. Definitely a sales pitch from start to finish. My nomination for the most moronic part is the stretch of BS that starts at about 1:24 when the guy leaning out of the pickup window brags to us that the Harpia doesn't "shut down the aperture" at high magnification.

Actually I don't think Putin helped with the video. Any fake news is their own.

Scopes do vary in their thermal properties, and heat haze can be handled differently by different scopes.
As well as temperature effects generally.

I don't see this discussed here when reviewers discuss scopes.
I see considerable differences with astro scopes and long lenses. Some are just awful with others being good.
It may be that spotting scopes are just too tightly confined to be very good coping with temperature changes.

To make comparisons scopes have to be tested side by side at the same time, with the same time exposed to any sunshine.
I would think that weather conditions are too variable to make a judgement on a single scope on any one occasion.
It is an understanding of weather and the effects of asphalt, concrete, buildings, grassland, water etc. that contribute to a scopes performance.

Hi,

My nomination for the most moronic part is the stretch of BS that starts at about 1:24 when the guy leaning out of the pickup window brags to us that the Harpia doesn't "shut down the aperture" at high magnification.

well, technically he is right... since the instrument is stopped down quite a bit at the low mag end, zooming in has indeed less of an effect on image brightness...
Too bad that an ATX of similar aperture would have been brighter at both ends - a bit at the high mag end due to less elements and quite a bit at the low mag end due to using the full aperture.

"The ability to cut through the heat waves" sounds like a great feature, too:

Yes, and while they're at it, could I get a cloud filter too? I would buy one in a minute then...

But still, to be fair it's a revolutionary new design and the wide angle view over the whole zoom range is nothing to be scoffed at.

Joachim

Hi,

Too bad that an ATX of similar aperture would have been brighter at both ends - a bit at the high mag end due to less elements and quite a bit at the low mag end due to using the full aperture.

Joachim

Hi Joachim

Harpia is actually very competitive with ATX on light transmission. More info on this follows in next few days.

Lee

My recent information is, that the transfer of production from Wetzlar to Oberkochen gives so many problems that Zeiss is in no condition to:
- produce the Harpias with adequate quality control and production capacity to supply the market and
- that for the same reason there is for the time being no possibility to produce the 8x32 SF.
If that information is correct Zeiss has damaged itself quite a bit by the Wetzlar-Oberkochen transfer.
Gijs van Ginkel

My recent information is, that the transfer of production from Wetzlar to Oberkochen gives so many problems that Zeiss is in no condition to:
- produce the Harpias with adequate quality control and production capacity to supply the market and
- that for the same reason there is for the time being no possibility to produce the 8x32 SF.
If that information is correct Zeiss has damaged itself quite a bit by the Wetzlar-Oberkochen transfer.
Gijs van Ginkel

Despite the impression given in some news media, production of Sports Optics is not being moved from Wetzlar to Oberkochen and will continue in Wetzlar. So for example Harpia production is starting in Wetzlar and will continue there.

This information comes from the highest source within Zeiss Consumer Optics.
Lee

Despite the impression given in some news media, production of Sports Optics is not being moved from Wetzlar to Oberkochen and will continue in Wetzlar. So for example Harpia production is starting in Wetzlar and will continue there.

This information comes from the highest source within Zeiss Consumer Optics.
Lee

The reports in the German business press suggest about 240 jobs are involved, with the restructuring mostly on the production side. Clearly some fairly substantial changes are under consideration, but subject to agreement with the employee council, as usual in Germany.

Some weeks ago I arranged a top level interview to take place at Bird Fair to find out just what is happening with Zeiss Sports Optics and I will publish the results as soon as possible after Bird Fair.

Lee

Hi,

from what is known so far I'd expect that manglement will stay adamant that production of the top level models stays in Wetzlar. This fits the press coverage which cited a trade union source that the remaining employees will do final assembly, service and repairs.

So unpack big box of new scopes made in A, put on a made in germany sticker printed in B, pack into nice Zeiss box made in C - rinse and repeat...

Sorry for being sarcastic... enjoyed too much manglement powerpoint...

Joachim

Hi,

if we tried to translate Oberkochen word by word, it would mean upper cook or upper cooking.

Kochen can indeed mean to brew too (Kaffee kochen - to brew coffee), but it is not used together with beer - that would be brauen which also means to brew (although kochen is used with the mash).

In general, if it is a hot beverage or hot food prepared in boiling water, kochen is correct. It is used like to boil...

Joachim

Last edited:
"The name "Oberkochen" consists of the two German words "ober"; meaning "above" or "upper" and "Kocher"; the name of the local river. The name indicates, that this settlement lies above the river Kocher or on its upper part, which makes sense, because the river Kocher has its spring right to the south of Oberkochen and runs to the north. Therefore, the village next to the north of Oberkochen is Unterkochen; from the German "unter" meaning "lower" or "under" and the name of the river again."

"The Kocher (German pronunciation: [ˈkɔxɐ] (About this sound listen)) is a 169 km (105 mi)-long[2] right tributary of the Neckar in the north-eastern part of Baden-Württemberg, Germany. The name "Kocher" originates from its Celtic name "cochan" and probably means winding, meandering river."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberkochen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kocher

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back