Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Ruckinge Kent info request

Old Sunday 9th March 2008, 17:57   #1
Stranger

Ruckinge Kent info request

I shall be spending the Easter break at Lords farm near Ruckinge Kent and would like to know of any birding sites within reasonable cycling distance.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 9th March 2008, 22:02   #2
John Cantelo

It depends how fit you are ...... if a fit & keen cyclist you could get down to Dungeness RSPB reserve & Bird obs. Nearer to hand you could visit Ham Street Wood - just to the north of that village. If you can get to Ham Street station you might also like to catch the train to Rye where you could cycle (or catch the bus) to Rye harbour nature reserve,

John
Old Monday 10th March 2008, 07:27   #3
robinm

Can't add anything to John's suggestion.

I live in Ashford so I know Ham Street is well worth a visit but if you go there take your wellies. At this time of year it can be very muddy indeed. Shame it is too early for nightingales - a great place for them.

Last edited by robinm : Monday 10th March 2008 at 07:30.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 10th March 2008, 16:31   #4
Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cantelo View Post
It depends how fit you are ...... if a fit & keen cyclist you could get down to Dungeness RSPB reserve & Bird obs. Nearer to hand you could visit Ham Street Wood - just to the north of that village. If you can get to Ham Street station you might also like to catch the train to Rye where you could cycle (or catch the bus) to Rye harbour nature reserve,

John
Thanks John and Robinm
Will probably visit Ham Street Wood and maybe fit one of the others in if it ties in with wife`s desire to see the places she used to stay with her Grandfather as a child.
I have not cycled any great distance for over a year so will have to wait and see how I get on.

Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 17:32   #5
Stranger

Hi John and RobinM
Decided not to take the bikes as my sister-in-law is awaiting a hip replacement and thougt cycling would be too much for her and brought the car instead.
Weather conditionS were pretty extreme,but did manage to spend a couple of hours at Rye NR,Dungeness RSPB site and Samphire Hoe,Dover.
Nothing unusual seen,probably due to the weather,but excellent sites which I intend to visit again in the near future.
The circular walk from Lords farm along the Military canal produced some good views of Reed Bunting.Yellowhammer and Hares
Did`nt get to Ham St Wood as I had intended due to problems with the camper van so will put that top of the list for my next visit.
Thanks again for the gen.

Old Tuesday 25th March 2008, 21:48   #6
John Cantelo

Yes it was pretty dire weather wise over the weekend. I had a quick trip down to Dungeness on saturday where I caught up with the Slavonian Grebe and had a Merlin, but it wasn't the best day to be out & about,

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: