Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trip to Singapore - Request for info

Old Wednesday 21st January 2004, 22:06   #1
mcapper

Trip to Singapore - Request for info

Evening all,

I am going to Singapore for 8 days with my partner at the end of Feb 2004 and, whilst not a birding holiday, will be fitting in time for a few birding trips during the course of the trip (there is only so much shopping a man can take ).

What I wanted to know is any site and bird info any one may have to make my time most productive.

I intend to do the Botanical Gardens, Burkit Timor and Sungei Buloh but other than that I am a sponge waiting to soak up knowledge!

I also have the possibility of popping across the border, within day trip distance, into Malysia so if anyone has any tips for here they would be gratefully recieved.

Lastly, a recommendation of the best bird book(s) to buy would also be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks to you all in advance.

Matthew
Old Thursday 22nd January 2004, 01:39   #2
SteveClark

My trip report from a few years ago might be useful.

http://members.datafast.net.au/clark...s/singpore.htm

I bought "The birds of Singapore" by Lim and Gardner (1997).
Old Thursday 22nd January 2004, 19:40   #3
Edward woodwood

Macritchie reservoir is good and some wetlands up near Chengi area but I can't remember the exact name but there is a reserve there.

Field guide to the birds of South East Asia by Craig Robson is the book and it's great!
Old Friday 23rd January 2004, 19:42   #4
mcapper

Thanks Guys

Craig Robson's book look a good un - I shall probably go for that.

Does any one have any access info for the McKenzie Res area - best spots to go etc and also the Serangoon estuary?

I have been looking for close sites in Malaysia - the only one I've seen is Panti Forest about 2 hours away (any others?). If any one has any info - especially on the feasibility of a day trip - how to get there, is it worth it in the time etc.. I would be very grateful.

Cheers all

Matthew
Old Friday 23rd January 2004, 19:50   #5
Edward woodwood

Hi Matthew

the OBC has a web group on Yahoo where I'm sure people would be able to give you very precise access details to Singapore. Panti forest is good I've heard and would cetainly add a few nice birds

'orientalbirding' into google will pull up the webgroup

Last edited by Edward woodwood : Friday 23rd January 2004 at 19:52.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: