• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nestbox Querie (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
Assome of you kinow last year I had a Great Tit family and they all fledged except for one chick that didn't make it. But I have not seen any come to the box yet I read in some books that you should leave the nest as it may be get used but as Ive seen less action at it Im wondering now should I clear out the nest or leave it? what do you think I should do? :h?:

Hi Euan,
I think that the best time to clear nestboxes out is in September which is well past the breeding season and before the cold weather arrives which sometimes heralds the use of the box for roosting in. Having said that, it could be used at any time for roosting. I would suggest that if you did not clean it out last year, it is best left alone now in case the birds are beginning to use it and have escaped you noting them so far.

Tip, when you do clean out the box, especially after use that year, wear gloves and afterwards check that you do not have any 'creepy crawlies' hanging on to your skin. Often, lice and other nasties lurk in the remains of nests and await another body such as a roosting bird or your arm when cleaning the box as another 'home'.

Euan Buchan said:
Assome of you kinow last year I had a Great Tit family and they all fledged except for one chick that didn't make it. But I have not seen any come to the box yet I read in some books that you should leave the nest as it may be get used but as Ive seen less action at it Im wondering now should I clear out the nest or leave it? what do you think I should do? :h?:

Euan - I have never read this sort of advice. My books, and a Wildlife Trust say that they should be cleaned out late in October or in November. Also it is suggested that you pour boiling water into the box, to kill off any lingering mites etc that might still be there, then let it dry out before replacing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back