• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodpeckers (1 Viewer)

snowyowl

I have been disappointed by the variety of woodpeckers coming to my feeders. There are sunflower seeds and suet available to them at all times but other than sporadic visits from a male Downy Woodpecker, I've had little success. This week I added a peanut feeder to my feeder array and within forty-eight hours I had a female Downy visiting. I've seen her back several times today so that's promising. Now I need male to return. some years ago I had both Downies and Hairies at my feeders constantly as well as Red-breasted Nuthatches. I don't know what changed things but something definitely happened.

Attachments

• DOWO_18-05-25_IMG_4525.1.jpg
    DOWO_18-05-25_IMG_4525.1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 23
drill some large holes in a small log and put a peanut butter mixture in them and hang it somewhere . i think you would be pleased . you can buy a mixture at ''wild birds'' or google a recipe . . peace

I use that trick for years but don't do it now because I can't get to my feeders everday and have to rely on my poor, put-upon wife to maintain them so I have cut back on my feeding methods.

Here where I live, I get a lot of Downy wood peckers, a few flickers and an occasional red headed wood pecker in the winter when they scarf up my suet and peanuts. A few other things seems to attract them as well I know because they will visit feeders meant for other birds. But during the summer I never see very many. Only occasionally. I wonder if your problem isn't more of a seasonal thing?

We used to have a large white lilac near the feeders but it got pretty out of control and my wife made me cut it down. Since then the variety of birds coming to my feeders has plummetted. There is another white lilac plus lots of other shrubs and trees just a little further from the feeders but they don't seem to attract the birds the way the other one did. I have fewer species of woodpeckers, nuthatches and sparrows.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back