• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Hoverfly Thread (3 Viewers)

Thanks Ficedula. I was wavering between Epistrophe and Eupeodes but it didn't seem to fit either perfectly. What points you to the former?

Unfortunately the pic is not terribly good so I doubt I'll get any further.

I have seen a few species of Hoverflies last weekend. This one was my favorite. I tentatively named it Scaeva selenitica, which I believe is quite widespread in Europe. It was very common in the mountains of Madrid. Confirmation or ID would be much appreciated! B :)

Attachments

• view 1_BF.jpg
    view 1_BF.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 47
  • view 2_BF.jpg
    view 2_BF.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 53
  • view 3_BF.jpg
    view 3_BF.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 47
not sure if i have had 1 of these id'd before

002-3.jpg

001-1.jpg

I have seen a few species of Hoverflies last weekend. This one was my favorite. I tentatively named it Scaeva selenitica, which I believe is quite widespread in Europe. It was very common in the mountains of Madrid. Confirmation or ID would be much appreciated! B :)

correct

Any help identifying these 2 would be gratefully received

cheers nick

Attachments

• Hoverfly 3.jpg
    Hoverfly 3.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 58
  • hoverfly tullie house.jpg
    hoverfly tullie house.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 66
Thank you so much for your reply, Ficedula!! :t:

Just one little question: is there no chance it is Scaeva pyrastri instead of Scaeva selenitica? I discovered a few days ago that both are very similar but the spots of the abdomen of S. pyrastri are whitish compared to S. selenitica that tend to be more yellowish. The ones in my hoverfly were definitely whitish. Even the shape spots look closer to S. pyrastri to me now.

When I uploaded the pictures I was almost certain about selenitica but not so much now. I would appreciate a lot a bit of clarification as I am totaly new in this hoverfly world o:)

well picked up, i was too hasty, Scaeva pyrastri it is

Thanks a lot for the confirmation, Ficedula!! :t:

Here is another species taken in the mountains of Madrid too in the same day, July the 4rth. It was the best Hoverfly day of my life! No idea what it is or if it can be found in England but I thought I could give it a try and at least share it here o:)

Attachments

• View 1 BF.jpg
    View 1 BF.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 88
  • View 2 BF.jpg
    View 2 BF.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 98
  • View 3 BF.jpg
    View 3 BF.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 90
Eristalis tenax is only possibility i know of

Have checked it and looks most likely!! :t: Thanks a lot for your replay!!

Have been checking other pictures I have taken that day and it seems that some specimens I thought might be another species look like Eristalis tenax to me now. Will prepare some of them and upload them for confirmation. See you soon! :t:

Have processed a set of pictures of a Hoverfly that I think might be a male of Eristalis tenax. Confirmation would be very much appreciated!

Well, for some reason the attachments failed to be attached! :eek!: Here they are!

Attachments

• view 1 BF.jpg
    view 1 BF.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 92
  • view 2 BF.jpg
    view 2 BF.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 98
Thanks a lot again, Ficedula!! :t:

This one might end being Eristalis tenax too :-O but I think it looks a bit different. The body and the wings can be seen properly so I hope there is a chance for real confirmation.

Attachments

• View 1 BF.jpg
    View 1 BF.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 79
  • View 2 BF.jpg
    View 2 BF.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 96

Users who are viewing this thread

Back