Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best Scope Money Can Buy?

Old Friday 11th May 2018, 11:35   #26
mooreorless

I would have to agree about the Astro scopes. I do have two Nikon spotting scopes the 50ED and the angled Nikon 82ED Fieldscope and had very nice views of Jupiter the other night. I should of already had the Orion 100ED astro scope set up, but had a busy day.
https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sh...2/ppuser/28262
Old Friday 11th May 2018, 18:53   #27
Stephen Mark

I have the 884 and have played with the big Swaro. My eyes are very good for 65 years old and you would need better visin than I have to tel a difference in the two scopes. I do prefer the Kowa focussing system to the Swaro but try both to see what suits you. As for astro scopes several people I know have them and find them too delicate for serious birding.
Steve
Old Wednesday 25th July 2018, 07:43   #28
peregrinescaffolding

hey everyone, now the zeiss harpia has came into the shops does anyone have more of an opinion on what scope is the best? or is it still really hard to split them?
im still none the wiser so far but i am starting to lean towards the zeiss as the field of view sounds amazing
thanks in advance for any responses!
Old Saturday 28th July 2018, 10:18   #29
dogbreath

I rather suspect at the price point of Kowa 883, Harpia and Swaro ATX (of whatever size) the differences optically are minimal and ergonomics/personal usability is more important. I also suspect that that differences in the users' vision are a huge factor. In other words, what I can see and prefer is likely to be different to that which anybody else can see and prefers. I am confident there is no single scope that is a clear winner - at this price point I don't think you can go very wrong - if you like the ergonomics and the view through the scope, that is the best scope money can buy. In my case, I preferred the Kowa 883 over the Zeiss Diascope and the Swaro and Leica offerings. Nothing really wrong with the competition but the Kowa 883 felt "right" for me. 9 months of ownership has not caused me to change my mind. Others will think different instruments "feel right" for them and that is fine. Spend the time using the instrument rather than wondering if your choice is better than another choice. And I suppose if you buy a used instrument you can sell it on if need be without much ofd a loss.
Old Saturday 28th July 2018, 15:51   #30
Stephen Mark

One other point about the Kowa. If you have enough light people have used two of the 1.6 extender's at once. I was birding last fall with a friend who had an extender and we put his and mine on my scope. You have to crank the zoom down to find what you want to look at but when you crank it back its unbelievable.
Steve
Old Saturday 6th October 2018, 12:20   #31
alexdozon

I would suggest you take a peek at the Kowa TSN-501.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: