• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eye Relief in the New Canon IS Models (1 Viewer)

AlanFrench

I am a huge fan of the Canon IS binoculars and have been using the 12x36 IS IIs for years as my main birding glass. The stable view at 12x provides better views and easier IDs at longer distances.

However, I've had two issues with them and with my 15x50s. The eye relief is marginal, I can barely see the entire field with my glasses on, and the close focus is very poor.

With its three new models Canon has nicely improved the close focus. Unfortunately, the eye relief has not been improved. Not wearing my glasses is simply not an option and most major binocular companies recognize that a good segment of their market wear glasses and have much better eye relief.

The lack of improved eye relief is a major disappointment. Other binoculars I own have great eye relief and prove more comfortable to use.

Clear skies, Alan

I agree, Alan.
For the new models, Canon states eye relief at 14.5mm, which is probably even a bit optimistic, and due to the way the eyecups fold down, it is difficult to fully utilize these 14.5mm.
As I mentioned in a recent review
(https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/586499-canon-launch-3-new-is-binos/page-2#entry8197486, go to post #46)
the new Canons are neither ideal for eyeglass wearers nor for people observing without glasses.
Maybe people who otherwise like the new models would best replace the eyecups with some non-standard eyepieces if possible.

The 14.5mm of eye relief is the same given for my 12x36 IIs, so there's chance I might find the 8x32s adequate. Still, it dampers my enthusiasm for upgrading.

If I fold the eyecups down on the 12x36s and push into them with my glasses I can see the entire field. Ditto with them up and not wearing my glasses. These eyecups are not as stiff and wide as those on my 15x50s.

As I recall it's not a simple matter to replace the rubber eyecups with something different. Even if it were I don't see how there is much to gain on the 12x36 model.

Clear skies, Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back