Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opinions sought

Old Tuesday 13th November 2018, 23:37   #1
Craig H

Opinions sought

I'm considering a new scope and would like to hear others views. The contenders are Leica 82mm, Kowa 883 or the Swarovski ATX 85. I currently have a Leica APO 77 that is still good but I've been drawn into wanting a zoom and I only have the 32x eyepiece. But I love the view through the Televid. I am however slightly put off another Leica given recent (ish) bad comments regarding customer care.

Never owned a Kowa so no idea on build quality or after sales.

I've experienced the ATX briefly and it converted me from a barrel focus hater to nearly a lover, and I have experienced the Swarovski after sales so know how good that is.

So, given a choice between those three what would you choose and why?
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 07:05   #2
tarsigercyanurus

I've had none of the three, did own a Televid 77 but would buy the Swaro 85 due to potential upgrade/downgrade(95v65vbinoviewer), barrel focussing, split in two for ease of packing and aftersales service. But I'm sure Kowa and Leica users will come up with equally valid arguments. Good luck.
Russ
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 10:01   #3
Rotherbirder

... or you could try to find a zoom for your televid!? They still crop up from time to time. I have a Televid 62 and both the 32x (26x on 62) and the zoom. The 32x is awesome on the 62 so it must be absolutely superb on the 77!? The zoom is also excellent, but I'm in the middle of an extended 32x 'phase' at the moment, its just so good!

RB

Last edited by Rotherbirder : Wednesday 14th November 2018 at 11:18.
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 10:05   #4
Sandra (Taylor)
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsigercyanurus View Post
I've had none of the three, did own a Televid 77 but would buy the Swaro 85 due to potential upgrade/downgrade(95v65vbinoviewer), barrel focussing, split in two for ease of packing and aftersales service. But I'm sure Kowa and Leica users will come up with equally valid arguments. Good luck.
Russ
We love our Kowa 883 and we tested this against the top of range Swaro. amongst others. Found it was the best of the two for us. But you really do have to try all you can to make such a decision

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 11:39   #5
Troubador

My choice would be Meopta's S2 82 with 20-70x zoom but they also offer a 30-60 wide angle that is nice. This is a really fine scope and don't forget Zeiss and Leica hired Meopta to make scopes for them a few years back.

Lee
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 13:47   #6
PYRTLE

For me it would be a choice between the Swarovski or the Kowa. Why?
The Swarovski for the customer care and after sales service.
The Kowa for the dual focusing.
Optics and view on both are outstanding through the eyepiece.
Leica appear to be addressing their poor service and customer care record.
Obviously you need to try them side by side if you've not already done so.
You haven't mentioned the Zeiss Harpia 95mm or 85mm. Worth a look maybe.

As others have said, try for a second hand zoom eyepiece if you want to hold onto your existing Leica APO 77mm Televid.
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 16:05   #7
Hauksen

Hi Craig,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig H View Post
The contenders are Leica 82mm, Kowa 883 or the Swarovski ATX 85.
I have the Kowa 883 and think it's very good.

My girl friend bought a Leica APO Televid 65 a couple of years back, and based on her experience, I personally definitely wouldn't want to buy a Leica.

Regards,

Henning
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 16:58   #8
gr8fuldoug
Camera Land / Supporting Vendor

I am a huge fan of the Kowa 883. Amazing Alpha optic
516-217-1000
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 18:38   #9
JWalck

Hi Henning,

Ok - now I'm curious. What problem(s) or bad experience(s) did your girlfriend have with the Leica?
Old Wednesday 14th November 2018, 21:36   #10
Craig H

Thanks for the input all!

I have considered buying a zoom for my 77APO but to be honest, forking out 250ish (seems to be abound the going price) for an eyepiece to stick on a scope that's probably worth 6-700 at current rates doesn't seem to have a good cost/benefit ratio. Especially as I don't believe the zoom is as good as on current models.

Pyrtle - curious to know more about Leica addressing customer care issues - do you have any more info?

A few people have mentioned the Zeiss. A couple of reasons I have discounted it. A) Price, 2750 for the Swaro is about as high as I'm prepared to go. B) Appearance/ergonomics. I don't like the looks or the ergonomics of it. It looks like a traffic cone with a can of coke stuck on the end (in my humble opinion), and whilst appearances are obviously a minor or even non consideration I'm looking for a more compact scope and the zeiss just looks and feels 'big'.

RE the Meopta scope mentioned. Anyone any ideas where to see/purchase one in the UK?

Please keep the thoughts coming.
Old Monday 19th November 2018, 00:24   #11
Sancho
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:

RE the Meopta scope mentioned. Anyone any ideas where to see/purchase one in the UK?

Please keep the thoughts coming.
I think Cley Spy do Meoptas. I got mine from Germany, and strongly recommend this scope. Read Lee's review, it's spot on and I agree with everything he says. I use the 30-60x. A distinct 'rolling ball' effect if you pan at low mags but only if your eye isn't concentrating on a subject (at least that's what I find). Sharp, contrasty, bright, parfocal, wide, robust, easy-to-handle, looks great, etc. etc. I sold the SOC though because I don't like them generally. A lot cheaper than equivalent scopes by competitors but this is not a 'cheap' scope.....it's right up there with the ATX 85. Meopta have superb aftersales service (not that anything's ever gone wrong with the scope...I just lost all the lens caps and they replaced them double-quick for free).

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th November 2018, 09:11   #12
Troubador

Quote:
ls 'big'.

Hi Craig

For info on where to test out an S2 scope contact the importer Avisum on:
[email protected]

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Monday 19th November 2018 at 09:18.
Old Monday 19th November 2018, 10:03   #13
PYRTLE

https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.p...40&postcount=1
Here's the link from a USA dealer. I'm sure Leica UK will also be following this new approach.

P

Last edited by PYRTLE : Monday 19th November 2018 at 10:05.
Old Monday 19th November 2018, 17:30   #14
Troubador

Craig

If you live anywhere near Sheffield, we could meet and you could try out the Meopta S2 20-70x I currently have on loan from Meopta. Send me a PM to discuss if of interest.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Tuesday 20th November 2018 at 15:58.
Old Tuesday 20th November 2018, 04:36   #15
fazalmajid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I think Cley Spy do Meoptas. I got mine from Germany, and strongly recommend this scope. Read Lee's review, it's spot on and I agree with everything he says. I use the 30-60x. A distinct 'rolling ball' effect if you pan at low mags but only if your eye isn't concentrating on a subject (at least that's what I find). Sharp, contrasty, bright, parfocal, wide, robust, easy-to-handle, looks great, etc. etc. I sold the SOC though because I don't like them generally. A lot cheaper than equivalent scopes by competitors but this is not a 'cheap' scope.....it's right up there with the ATX 85. Meopta have superb aftersales service (not that anything's ever gone wrong with the scope...I just lost all the lens caps and they replaced them double-quick for free).
Thirded. I also use the 30-60x for its constant wide FoV. The only downside is the limited digiscoping options, and accessories in general, but the instrument itself is superb.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: