• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Binocular (1 Viewer)

hultsfret

Hi,

I've been off birdwatching for quite some time and am now looking for a new binocular. I would like a rather compact one, definitely a "straight" one. My favorite would be the swarovski SLC 8x30, but this is way above the budjet I would like to spend.

Could someone suggest a similar but cheaper model? It should be compact and robust above all and obviously for daytime use only.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards

Matthias

Hi

the Pentax DCF bin looks great, but still is somewhat expensive.

What about the "lesser" DCF series Pentax offers? SP and HRc seem to offer similar quality without having cutting-edge features. These would be about 300-500 euros which is the price I'd be willing to pay.

Matthias

DCF just means it's roof prisms with center focus (it was cribbed from the German German ... Dachprizm Center Focus ... OK it's mix and match for me ;) ) to distinguish it from PCF (porro center focus).

So the models go like

Pentax DCF HS
Pentax DCF SP
Pentax DCF ED

I've reviewed the 8x36 here before (so has FrankD) and we both like it. Search for it. It's a simple design and inexpensive (especially as it's being replaced by the waterproof Pentax DCF NV). I think this is you best bet.

Next up is perhaps a second hand SP.

The Pentax DCF HRc was a follow on to the Pentax DCF HR. Neither had phase correction and I suspect they should be avoided unless bargain priced. Search for reviews ... they weren't too well liked IIRC.

All that said though Pentax is not as easy to get in Europe as it is in the USA and Japan so perhaps more Euro brands might be your focus.

So what is your budget?

Hi,

thanks for your suggestions. I found the Pentax DCF NV 8x36 for less than 200 euros, so I'll give it a try. It's only about 40 euros more expensive than the HS and it features nitrogen filling, waterproofness and phase correction.

I hope it'll be worth it's money.

M.

Hi

These would be about 300-500 euros which is the price I'd be willing to pay.

Matthias

Ich würde dazu raten, das Budget auszuschöpfen und die beste optische Qualität zu erwerben, die es dafür gibt. Mit den Solala-Dachkantgläsern wird man auf Dauer nicht glücklich.

T

I can also vouch for the Pentax HS 8x36, got a pair and they are excellent - clear and sharp vision, colour seems about spot on, and not too bad at all in low light. The only caveat I've found so far is they're a bit on the heavy side and not all that compact, but excellent nonetheless.

As they've been discontinued if you hunt around you might find a few clearance bargains, mine were £83 (Less than €100) inc. postage off Ebay - boxed as new. Think a pair went on the Pentax clearance account recently for less too!

Ich würde dazu raten, das Budget auszuschöpfen und die beste optische Qualität zu erwerben, die es dafür gibt. Mit den Solala-Dachkantgläsern wird man auf Dauer nicht glücklich.

T

Hi I'm not a big fan of buying suboptimal bins either, because you tend to be unhappy with it when it comes to critical quality issues, but then I'm not a real birdwatcher. It's rather I've enjoyed birding in my youth and now I'm a lot hiking in the mountains so I wanted to get a decent and handy bin to take with me and enjoy some occasional birding. I hope the DCF NV is good for this purpose.

M.

Hi,

I've been off birdwatching for quite some time and am now looking for a new binocular. I would like a rather compact one, definitely a "straight" one. My favorite would be the swarovski SLC 8x30, but this is way above the budjet I would like to spend.

Could someone suggest a similar but cheaper model? It should be compact and robust above all and obviously for daytime use only.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards

Matthias

I picked up a pair of 6x32 Eagle Platinum Rangers roof prism compacts on Astromart for $140.00 and they are the best compacts I have ever had. Smooth focus, >400 FOV, good ER , great DOF, and very good resolution. I like the 6X in a compact because they are easy to hold steady in a smaller binocular and 6X is adequate magnification in situations where you would use a compact. Like a concert, theatre, the zoo, backyard birding(etc.).

Dennis

PENTAX dcf xp Compact binocular

Hey guys dont forget the pentax dcf xp's. My 8x33 are clear, sharp, Waterproof & more compact then all the ones mentioned. If you can find them on ebay you will find these with a really big markdown new.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back