• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rajastan and Kerala, January and February - where to go? (1 Viewer)

cranefan

Hello all,

I'm going to India for the first time in January for six weeks. So far my rough itinerary consists of around four weeks in the north, taking in Delhi, Agra, Amritsar and Rajastan, then two weeks in Kerala.

I'm definitely intending to visit Keoladeo Ghana and Rhanthabore in Rajastan, but I wondered if anyone had any other recommendations for places that could be visited easily and cheaply at this time. I'll probably be travelling alone and will be dependent on public transport. Any suggestions of places not to miss would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!

From Amritsar, it's easy to jump on a Moga-bound bus to Harike Lake, which is an excellent site worth at least a couple of days. You can day-trip from Amritsar, but it's actually more convenient to stay in Moga (or ask if you can stay in the Sikh temple at Harike).

In Rajasthan, Jaisalmer is a great place to hang, and the access point for the Desert National Park, which is a must-visit. Mt Abu is another excellent location worth a couple of days, and I've had productive birding in the area around Pushkar, too, and the Chambal River near Agra is well worth a day.

I recommend spending a few days based in Naini Tal, which is a great area for Himalayan species in winter, and very easy to reach from Delhi. If you are visiting Ranthambhor primarily for Tiger, I'd give serious consideration to going to Corbett NP instead. Tiger is pretty reliable here these days, and it's a fantastic park with some great birds.

Apart from Corbett, you can do all these places very easily and cheaply by public transport. Corbett NP is expensive unless you can share jeep costs with 2 or 3 others, but there is very productive birding just outside the park, which you can do by public bus from Ramnagar.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have a look at what I can fit in, but I'm sure I'll be heading to some of those places now. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back