• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss conquest 8x30 vs Pentax DCF sp 8x32 (1 Viewer)

sasi_yaad

Hi all,

I am quite iterested in the new Zeiss conqust 8x30,
anybody tried them yet?
How in your opinion they compare to the Pentax DCF sp 8x32.
I am also considering a very different alternative, the Nikon 8x30 E2.

Sassi

Let me put in a word for the Nikon 8x30E2. It's a great binocular! It has a remarkable panoramic wide field. No color cast and virtually no CA. Great depth of field. Exceptionally sharp, lightweight and very easy to use. It's eye relief is about 14mm. At USA $250.00, plus or minus, it is a great value. Rumor has it that it may be soon discontinued so get one ASAP!

And ya gotta love it's "Retro" styling!

Bob

Curtis Croulet said:
How about eye-relief? Can someone wearing glasses see the entire field?

Eye relief is 14mm with fold down eyecups. It's touch and go here, but remember, the FOV is huge. 8.8 degrees.

Bob

An odd thing -- although I can't stand looking through my astronomical scopes while wearing glasses, I must wear glasses to see through binoculars. I simply can't get a sharp image otherwise. So eye-relief is very important to me. Younger birders pretty much ignore the issue, as I once did.

8X30's

sasi_yaad said:
Hi all,

anybody tried them yet?

Sassi

The Fujinon FMTR-SX 8X30's are very good optically too (almost not CA), they are not as easy to use as center focus (they are individual focus). However they are waterproof and very tough and just under $400 US.

Hogjaws

Hogjaws is me name, eatin be my game.

Curtis Croulet said:
An odd thing -- although I can't stand looking through my astronomical scopes while wearing glasses, I must wear glasses to see through binoculars. I simply can't get a sharp image otherwise. So eye-relief is very important to me. Younger birders pretty much ignore the issue, as I once did.

I had the same problem too. I was nearsighted until, over a period of years, I had 2 cataract surgeries that ended up giving me 20/20 vision. Prior to that I used to do the samething you did. I took off my glasses while using my telescope. As for bins, I did some research and got a Leica Trinovid BA 7 x 42 and used it for about 15 years. It is excellent, although I think it is pre-phase coating. It has VERY long eye relief (20mm or so) and a very wide field. You can see the entire field with glasses on. I hear the Zeiss 7 x 42 ClassiC's had longer eye relief and a wider field than my Leica's. I think the current models have similar specifications.

Bob

Last edited:
sasi_yaad said:
Hi all,

anybody tried them yet?

Sassi

Sassi,

I carefully examined a Zeiss Conquest 8X30 for someone who eventually purchased it. The view was impressive and the price/quality ratio was exceptional. I did not get a chance to check CA, which some report as a problem.

John

I may be able to further expand on the 8x30 Conquest...at least in comparison to the Pentax 8x33 XP. I have not owned or tried the 8x32 SP. In this instance I think the Cornell study got the ranking correct. The view between the Conquest and the XP is very similar in terms of brightness, resolution and color fidelity. The images are actually almost identical. The only area that I think the Conquest clearly beats the XP is in the flatness of field. Though the outer 1/3rd of both images is distorted I believe the distortion in the Conquest is more usable and not so distracting.

I must also mention the issue of handling. Though the XPs are exceptionally small, compact length even, I found them to be a bit too short for my hands. The SPs are a bit longer if memory serves me so that might not be a problem. The Conquests, on the other hand, fit almost like a glove. My index finger rests comfortably on the focus knob while my second two fingers sit across the bridge and my pinky rests comfortably between the front of the barrels.

Also of note, the diopter adjustment is on the far end of the central hinge opposite the focus adjustment. It does not lock but does have a tangible "click" when set in the centered position.

I cannot compare the Conquest to the E2 but I can compare it to the SE. The Conquest, though quite good for the price...especially the crisp image and lightweight design....is not even close to the SE in terms of image quality. The image is not as bright nor anywhere near as wide. Eye relief on the Conquests is pretty good...somewhere around 17 or 18 mm if I had to take a guess.

Hope this helps.

John Traynor said:
I carefully examined a Zeiss Conquest 8X30 for someone who eventually purchased it. The view was impressive and the price/quality ratio was exceptional. I did not get a chance to check CA, which some report as a problem.

Thanks all,

John and Frank,

How would you rate the conquest for, ease of view ?
does it have a walk in view ?
I know these are subjective qualities but nevertheless your opinion can help.
BTW I can't try any of these bins before buying.

Sassi

Sassi,

Sorry to say that I would not call the Conquest's view either "easy" or "walk in". There is a significant difference to my eyes between them and either of the 8x Nikon HG models. Both the 32 and 42 mm HG models give you that walk in effect while the 8x30 Conquest does not. As I related in another post I believe this is in large part the result of the eyepiece design. I believe that binoculars with a relatively wide ocular lens coupled with a large amount of eye relief generally give me that "walk in" effect.

Now, as for "ease of view, my Nikon 7x35 Es had a very easy view in my opinion. I think that was a result of the 7x magnification and the excellent depth of field provided by the porro design. The 8x30 Conquest does not have either of these criteria going for it.

Still, I definitely think it is a "keeper" in my book because of the excellent center field resolution and good color representation...plus the size and weight are excellent in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back