• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wilderness area in Bulgaria: Suha reka (1 Viewer)

Dear all, just visited an area in the country where not many people go. It turned out that there is a nice looking birding and photography cottage in the area that can be hired quite cheep. http://www.naturetravel.eu/

In December, I set up a photo trap and managed to get a golden jackal and wild boar. Birds were several pairs of Sombre Tit, two pairs of Eagle Owl, Syrian Woodpecker, many Hawfinches, etc.

In September I had quite a few migrants like Thrush Nightingale, Red-breasted flycatcher, Lesser-spotted Eagles, etc. Should publish a more detailed information. There is quite a lot on the website i mentioned including directions to the area and a pretty good list of birds.

When traveling around I found quite a few sand walls with holes from Bee-eaters and Rollers so spring must be great there. I checked in the literature that there are some 200 species of birds registered. The website suggests that you might see some 150 species of birds for a week. Some of their highlights are Ruddy Shellduck, Long-legged Buzzard, Short-toed Eagle, Lesser Spotted Eagle, Levant Sparrowhawk, Eagle Owl, Roller, European Bee-eater, Lesser-spotted Woodpecker, Grey-headed Woodpecker, Sombre Tit, etc.

let me know what you think if you visit the area

More about Suha reka with Nature Travel

Hi to all,
I just want to complement dancho_hristov ´s description of wilderness area Suha reka in Bulgaria. Ok, this is not really wilderness, but more an agricultural countryside in the north-east of Bulgaria called Dobruja or in Bulgarian Dobrudzha.

For short: yes the trip in the beginning of July to that thinly populated area south of the city of Silistra has been very productive. The area is located in a charming countryside which has to offer surprisingly good locations to shoot images of excellent birds. Having been spent 4 days at the place aiming to photograph Golden Oriole, Ortolan Bunting, Bee-eaters, Middle Spotted Woodpecker, Barred Warbler, Tawny Pipit, etc.

I have really enjoyed location, host and the birds - as you can see in the gallery of bird-lens.com.

http://www.bird-lens.com/photos-2/birds-of-the-bulgarian-dobruja/ .

The owners, Sergey Panayotov and Iordan Hristov offer Wildlife Workshops, trips with bicycles and canoes but also the chance to sit in one (or more) of their hides. More you will find in a blog here:

http://www.bird-lens.com/2013/07/19/hide-photography-in-bulgaria-in-july-images-from-the-dobruja/.

Ask me - also via pm - if you have more questions
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back