• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalyan, SW Turkey - Butterflies and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Ruby

Hi All,

Just back from Dalyan and have some mysteries that I'm hoping someone will be able to help me solve.....

Very much a learner when it comes to exotic European butterflies and a bit overwhelmed by the many choices (not like our paltry UK list!) but even worse when it comes to dragonflies - I havn't even got a field guide:eek!:

So anyway, here they come.... there's a few, so I've labelled the first lot M1-M5....

Just to be contrary, I don't think M1 is a butterfly OR a dragonfly, but I don't have the first idea what it actually might be!!

Thanks..... Ray

Attachments

• M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 159
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 116
  • M3.jpg
    M3.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 124
  • M4.jpg
    M4.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 128
  • M5.jpg
    M5.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 123
Well, the first is indeed neither butterfly nor dragonfly. It is a neuopteran (relative of lacewings and antlions). It looks like Nemoptera sinuata.

Thomas

Thanks Thomas..... It did put me in mind of a lacewing, albeit quite an impressive size!

Rgds.... Ray

Yep, some of the nueopterans are pretty impressive insects indeed.

As for the rest:
#2 is a male Lycaena phlaeas
#3 looks like Kirinia roxelana
#4 I'm not sure, but it could be Trithemis aurora
#5 looks interesting. I think it's a male plebejus loewii, although the base of the wing is very blue.

Thomas

Here's a few more.....

Attachments

• M6.jpg
    M6.jpg
    343.4 KB · Views: 107
  • M7.jpg
    M7.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 97
  • M8.jpg
    M8.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 119
  • M9.jpg
    M9.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 108
  • M10.jpg
    M10.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 110
6 Tarucus balkanicus, Little Tiger Blue
7 Either Colias alfacariensis, Berger's Clouded Yellow or Colias crocea, Clouded Yellow
8 Aeshna isoceles, Green-eyed (Norfolk) Hawker
9 ?? Pelopidas thrax, Millet Skipper
10 Crocothemis eryraea, Broad Scarlet

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

The Little Tiger Blue is a stunner isn't it....

The Green-eyed Hawker seemed to be the most populous of the large dragonflies in the local area - very impressive to be surrounded my hordes or them.

Re: the Broad Scarlet - to my untutored eye, there seemed to be two flavours of these - one bright scarlet and the other a more pinky-red.... would they be m&f? (of course, it could have been something else entirely!)

Rgds... Ray

Here's the next bunch.....

Attachments

• M11.jpg
    M11.jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 77
  • M12.jpg
    M12.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 108
  • M13.jpg
    M13.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 95
  • M14.jpg
    M14.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 99
  • M15.jpg
    M15.jpg
    339 KB · Views: 98
Hi, Ruby,
I would hazard that the first one is an immature/female scarlet darter (Crocothemis erythraea). Some people call this the broad scarlet (English dragonfly names are quite controversial although some people are now using the names in the latest fieldguide by Klaas-Douwe Dijkstar, illustrated by Richard Lewington, which you ought to get!).
5 is Orthetrum sabina (slender skimmer)
I'm not at all sure but #2 looks rather like scarce chaser (Libellula fulva) to me.
Ken

Last edited:
Your Trithemis in your first post looks good for annulata to me... But aurora isn't shown in Dijkstra. Does it occur in SW Turkey at all?
Ken

Last edited:
....and M13 maybe Turkish or Aegean Meadow Brown - but not really experienced enough to tell which of those it might be.....

From your second batch of photos #8
1. imm/fem Scarlet Darter Crocothemis erythraea
2. old male Blue/Scarce Chaser Libellua fulva
3. (Persian) Meadow Brown Maniola telmessia
4. Ilex Hairstreak Satyrium ilicis
5. Slender Skimmer Orthetrum sabina

Thanks Steve.....

Just to further my education - what is it about the Meadow Brown that makes it telmessia and not megala?

All the best.... Ray

Although I've yet to see megala myself (flight season is later than telmessia on Lesvos, I've always understood that apart from megala being larger, it has a more scalloped edge to the hindwing and reduced white spots in the dark circles on the underside of the hindwing - see here for some good examples.

On Lesvos, too many people mistake female telmessia for megala unaware that males and females are different!

Thanks Steve...

and here's the last lot!

Attachments

• M16.jpg
    M16.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 84
  • M17.jpg
    M17.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 91
  • M18.jpg
    M18.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 92
  • M19.jpg
    M19.jpg
    376.5 KB · Views: 81
  • M20.jpg
    M20.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 99
On the latest batch, I think you have another scarce chaser (only scarce in the UK) and a Norfolk hawker. That little triangle on the base of the abdomen should be yellow, but it may be a trick of the light.
Ken

Thanks Ken (for the offer of the loan too;))

The photograph of the Hawker was taken early in the morning with very warm light - I guess that's why the colours are a bit off.

All the best.... Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back