• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worcestershire Butterflies,Moths and Dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Another from this afternoon...

Attachments

• Dingy Skipper edit smll - Penny Hill Bank, 31st May 2013.jpg
    Dingy Skipper edit smll - Penny Hill Bank, 31st May 2013.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 143
Anyone fancy IDing these little beauties, please?
Would I be right in thinking that the first is the same as the last?

Attachments

• Bug.jpg
    Bug.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Bug1.jpg
    Bug1.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Bug2.jpg
    Bug2.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 106
  • BugA.jpg
    BugA.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 112
You must be visiting all the right places Jason, dont know if its my powers of observation ( or lack of them ! ) biked along a good section of the local waterway today and besides the usual suspects on the Butterfly front, only had one very brief view of a Damselfly ( that brief that I could not get an I. D. on it. let alone a photo.! ) In desperation have attached a shot of a more accommodating Green-veined White.

Attachments

• P1050639.jpg
    P1050639.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 119
You must be visiting all the right places Jason, dont know if its my powers of observation ( or lack of them ! ) biked along a good section of the local waterway today and besides the usual suspects on the Butterfly front, only had one very brief view of a Damselfly ( that brief that I could not get an I. D. on it. let alone a photo.! ) In desperation have attached a shot of a more accommodating Green-veined White.

I don't know about that Glenn. it's a struggle this year on the invert front. By now I should have Brown Argus out at Shenstone and a number of damselflies at Captains pool but nowt as yet!

Nice GV White by the way!

Jase

Ok...so it's not the Ritz but the garden inverts love it.

These insect hotels are used by leaf cutter bees every year....

Attachments

• IMG_0463 smll.jpg
    IMG_0463 smll.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 133
Couple of great sightings there Mary and Jase. Superb to see the Dragons emerging !

Woodwolf, are we using the modern Worcestershire county boundary or VC37 which is used for recording purposes by the WBRC with regards to insects. If the latter, Beautiful Demoiselle is making good progress into the suburbs. I saw the attached near the River Cole in Yardley Wood today.

Des.

Attachments

• Be Dem.jpg
    Be Dem.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 130
Woodwolf, are we using the modern Worcestershire county boundary or VC37 which is used for recording purposes by the WBRC with regards to insects. If the latter, Beautiful Demoiselle is making good progress into the suburbs. I saw the attached near the River Cole in Yardley Wood today.

Des.

Hi Des
I guess I tend to think along the lines of VC 37 really as I like to submit as many wildlife records to WBRC as I can.
Hoping to see some Demoiselle action on my patch soon. Currently enjoying Alpine Swifts and an unidentified by photographed large Orange and Black Butterfly though
Mark

Spent a productive hour or so at Hillditch Pool this afternoon with 4 Red-eyed Damselflies (3♂, 1♀) being the highlight, the female was 'in cop' with one of the males.

Also seen 'in cop' were Large Red Damselflies and Azure Damselflies.

No 'true dragonflies' were observed.

Also of interest were 2 Common Carpet Moths

Nice photos kb. Where's Pepper Wood by the way? as I'm not familiar with that one

Sorry about that,just outside Bourneheath,down from the Nailers Arms PH map ref SO 937749.
Its a Woodland Trust,but open to all and sunder

Last edited:
Quite a productive day today:

Monkwood- Female Broad-bodied Chaser, female Black-tailed Skimmer and a surprise female Common Club-tail!
Devil's Spittleful- Common Blue, 2 Green Hairstreak and several Small Heaths.
Grimley Camp Lane pits- 2 White-legged Damselflies.
Stack Pool, Kidderminster- many Red-eyed Damselflies.

Nice little haul there!

Jared

Quite a productive day today:

Monkwood- Female Broad-bodied Chaser, female Black-tailed Skimmer and a surprise female Common Club-tail!
Devil's Spittleful- Common Blue, 2 Green Hairstreak and several Small Heaths.
Grimley Camp Lane pits- 2 White-legged Damselflies.
Stack Pool, Kidderminster- many Red-eyed Damselflies.

Nice little haul there!

Jared

Ha ! I thought I was imagining it when I saw Black Tailed Skimmer at Monkwood this afternoon..I'm glad someone else did too.
They are common at Grimley, so I reasoned one had strayed over...?
I also thought the Odonata situation at the north end of Grimley was poor, I had 2 Common Blue Butterflies, ...and there was a complete lack of Hirundines..the site looks like it has been over drained to me...?

Last edited:
Mark, virtually all the damsels were at the south end-the white-legs were in the juncus by the generator thing, more water down that end!

Had several Banded Demoiselle's along a Staffs.-Worc's canal walk today but came across this female with Brown-tinged wings - all other females seen had a deff. green tinge to there's ( if seen in the usual areas would have put it down as Beautiful Dem. ) Just did not think the canal was the prefered habitat for this species. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Attachments

• P1050641.jpg
    P1050641.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back