• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple more Canons on the block. (1 Viewer)

The 700d doesn't look to have that much going for it, above the previous models.

500d and 600d both introduced good features for birding..
500d was one of the first to have HD Video; and 600d had the 3x-10x movie zoom, which is a super function.

"Nothing to see here"!

The turnover of cameras in the budget segment is a ridiculous. You might buy a camera in that price range only to find a better one has come out in 12 months.

Mar 2009 500D
Feb 2010 550D
Feb 2011 600D
Jun 2012 650D
Mar 2013 700D

And yet the 7D was announced Sep 2009 and the new one has still not been launched yet.

Given the things I've heard about the current STM lenses though that 18-55 STM could be a little gem.

The turnover of cameras in the budget segment is a ridiculous. You might buy a camera in that price range only to find a better one has come out in 12 months.

But that's just life isn't it! Cars, phones, computers, cookers (or so I'm told!). You don't have to always have the best, or upgrade every time. In fact if you are buying in this camera range, you need to accept that there is better out there.

What I'm noticing is the differences between the models are getting smaller perhaps, so upgrading every 2nd model, which made sense for example from 400d ->500d -> 600d, seems pointless from 600d ->700d.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back