• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens for photographing butterflies and dragonflies (1 Viewer)

Helios

Hi,

I've got a Nikon D80 with a Tamron 200-500 lens, which is a good setup for photographing birds, but doesn't really have a small enough minimum shooting distance to be useful for shooting butterflies and dragonflies. Would the 300mm f4 lens (Nikon) be a solution for this; a teleconverter could be used for birds, and the lens on is own for insects? Or would I be better off with a separate macro lens?

I'm no expert so take this with that in mind. I took what I think is a pretty good shot of a dragonfly with my 70-300 VR nikon zoom. Take a look at my gallery. I found the zoom to be very helpful as I quickly framed the shot (insects move fast!). The vibration reduction was very helpful as the shot was hand held. The lens is about half the price of the 300 f4. Finally, the lens is perfect for taking shots of my kids doing sports (so it was easy to justify the expense to my wife).

Hi,

I've got a Nikon D80 with a Tamron 200-500 lens, which is a good setup for photographing birds, but doesn't really have a small enough minimum shooting distance to be useful for shooting butterflies and dragonflies. Would the 300mm f4 lens (Nikon) be a solution for this; a teleconverter could be used for birds, and the lens on is own for insects? Or would I be better off with a separate macro lens?
Hi Helios,
Buy a set of kenko extension tubes to use with the Tamron. This will reduce the minimum focus distance enough for dragons & butterflys. You can then remove them for shooting birds.
Regards Rob.

Yep, Robs advice is good use Kenko auto extn tubes on the Tamron, bought a set and they work superbly on my 70-200 and 300 lenses
Off eBay there very reasonable a lot cheaper than a lens
Steve

Attachments

• banded demoiselle 1.jpg
    banded demoiselle 1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 545
Last edited:
Extension tubes for me as well - make sure they're 'auto-extension tubes'. They work well with my 400mm lenses and cost a fraction of the price of a new lens!

Helios,

If you can afford it, the 105mmm VR F2.8 is the lens. Otherwise, as the chaps have written go with the tubes.

Pe'rigin, not sure but I've always wondered what you'd need vr for on a macro lens assuming that the photographer uses a tripod. On my 70-200vr it recommends that the VR should be off when mounted on a tripod (unless your tripod and head are so bad that it still moves)
I suppose it would allow you to handhold but I doubt the light is going to be good enough for most macro photography.

Steve,

This is such a good lens for butterflies handheld without all the need for rigging or carrying the tripod. Being 2.8, it does give you the extra milage you need. It's a light set-up to carry around as well, plus you get a very good standard lens.

Like you I have the 200mm and the 105mm, both are brilliant at getting insects. But, it's the cost of buying them that is the big draw-back. I use the 105 in the studio on a tripod as you suggested with the VR off, but I can control the lighting and exposure here. Outside is more difficult, especially as the insects keep moving.

VR On or Off while mounted on a tripod is entirely dependent on the individual lens model. You need to look at the lens documentation to determine if it is recommended or not.

Outboard my original comment is why would you need vr on a tripod for over 100 years people have taken photographs on tripods why do we now believe that vr is needed? I agree on hand held slow shutter speeds its great but if you've got a macro lens mounted on a tripod does it help?

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Curiously, I can't find a camera shop or dealer which sells the Kenko extension tubes (Nikon fitting) in the UK, at least on the internet. There are some dodgy looking import companies selling very cheap equipment from Hong Kong.

Even an ebay search brings up nothing but sellers from Hong Kong. I've got nothing against Hong Kong but would prefer top buy from someone in the UK.

Helios, bought mine from HK nothing wrong with the top sellers have a look at Kea Photo, Digital Rev or Digitalshop, used em all and have never been let down
Steve

Jessops will supply a set of three extension tubes for around £80. Mine are Canon fit, but I assume you can buy them to fit Nikon.

Thanks everybody for the advice.

Curiously, I can't find a camera shop or dealer which sells the Kenko extension tubes (Nikon fitting) in the UK, at least on the internet. There are some dodgy looking import companies selling very cheap equipment from Hong Kong.

Even an ebay search brings up nothing but sellers from Hong Kong. I've got nothing against Hong Kong but would prefer top buy from someone in the UK.

Bought mine (Nikon) from Warehouse Express. They also stock the latest Kenco TCs. Next day delivery.

I use the 105VR both handheld VR on and with a tripod with the VR switched off as recommended. For some subjects handheld is fine but for other very small subjects a tripod is necessary. Butterflies and dragonflies are easy with the 105VR handheld but I find that to get a really sharp image of small insects down to tiny hair sharp I need a tripod, especially when I'm using the Kenco tubes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46984194@N00/

Last edited:
Can i use extension tubes with the nikon 300mm afs vr prime to good effect can i also use them with teleconverters.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back