• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sure-Fire Sapsucker Feeder (1 Viewer)

Accipiter91

Last winter when I wasn't having any luck attracting the Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers to my suet feeders I created my own "sap feeder" that these woodies coulsn't seem to resist. First I took a small plastic grain feeder from a hog house that was being bulldozed. Then I took a dremel tool and drilled 20-30 small holes in the bottom of the feeder. When I put the new feeder up it took about a week or so until I had my first customer...but after that there was no stopping 'em! I used grape jelly in my feeder but any jelly should work. Right now my dad has the camera but later I will take pictures of the feeder and post them here.

Does anyone else have any good tips for attracting these birds? I finally got them introduced to my suet feeder but later a Red-bellied Woodpecker showed up and chased the Sapsuckers away...

Last winter when I wasn't having any luck attracting the Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers to my suet feeders I created my own "sap feeder" that these woodies coulsn't seem to resist....
Does anyone else have any good tips for attracting these birds?...
Sure do. I call it Austrian Pine (sarcasm laced with truth).
We have about a half dozen Austrian Pines that we planted as 4 year seedlings 10 years ago. Every April, the feathered tommy gun migrates thru and riddles the trunks like Al Capone:C. They are interspersed amongst 50 or so other conifers, mostly Norway Spruce. The YBSS only wants the Austrians. Since the trees are fairly young and susceptible, it has been a project keeping up with the damage by sealing the holes with pruning paint. On the plus side, the hole size and patterns are amazing craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back