• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Announcing January 2004 Theme/Challenge... (1 Viewer)

I don't know how technical this was meant to be but #8 suggests that specific information is needed. I see alot of entries with locations like "my yard, California" or just city and state. If its not going to be specific then this rule should have been worded differently. To be on the safe side, check your entries and add the information.

8. Location taken (town, county / state, country).

A very good point Widowmaker - many entrants this month appear not to have read the rules, though I am at a loss as to my. Rule 6 has been infringed on several entries too - not to menton one or two others.

Rest assured that some leniency is envisaged this month as it is after all a fun competition.

Be advised though that when the prize cmpetitions are run, rules will be strictly adhered to and any infringements will lead to disqualifications.

IanF said:
A very good point Widowmaker - many entrants this month appear not to have read the rules, though I am at a loss as to my. Rule 6 has been infringed on several entries too - not to menton one or two others.

Rest assured that some leniency is envisaged this month as it is after all a fun competition.

Be advised though that when the prize cmpetitions are run, rules will be strictly adhered to and any infringements will lead to disqualifications.

Somewhat agree but it seems that sticking to the rules would be good practice for other competitions. As I recall there were quite a few disqualified images in the last few non prize comps. They were disqualified for the same violations that some of the current comp images are violating. Hardly seems fair, fun or not, for the people that were disqualified then. Rather than have sporadic leniency from comp to comp, why not shave the rules down?

I know I may be out of place here since I am not one of the mods, and certainly not trying to offend anyone, but if the rules are shaved down anymore than one might as well put "Will accept any entry for the month of February." I am not trying to be flippant about it, rather logical instead.

Think about it. The only real rules are the time frame, what to be photographed, file size limits, resolution size, location taken, # of pics allowed, that it must be alive and wild, amount of image adjustment, and the name of the bird. Which one could really be left out and it still be a challenge/theme/competition? There is no way to guarantee the integrity of who posts, but strangely enough when rules are written in ink (so to speak) and enforced, people are generally better about complying and not lying. What fun is winning one of these things if the winner is not able to effectively compete against similar entries?

Hi Widowmaker,

As implied in my earlier tread that is already in hand which is the reason they weren't enforced this month - being it's the start of a new year.

Starting Feb, the rules will be a little easier to follow, though it will be reviewed as the year progresses if any problems arise. Another week and you will be able to see the differences, but basically entries can be of the same dimensions and files sizes as the Gallery default settings as this is the main rule that continues to be infringed.

Number of entries will be a little easier as the subject lends itself to more likely one submission rather than two.

As Brian says if the rules get too lax, then it would be a free for all.

For prize comps they will be strictly enforced.

Last edited:
IanF said:
Hi Widowmaker,

As implied in my earlier tread that is already in hand which is the reason they weren't enforced this month - being it's the start of a new year.

Starting Feb, the rules will be a little easier to follow, though it will be reviewed as the year progresses if any problems arise. Another week and you will be able to see the differences, but basically entries can be of the same dimensions and files sizes as the Gallery default settings as this is the main ule that continues to be infringed.

Number of entries will be a little easier as the subject lends itself to more likely one submission rather than two.

As Brian says if the rules get too lax, then it would be a free for all.

For prize comps they will be strictly enforced.

I understand that completely. The problem of a free for all stands true for a competition that has rules that are not enforced. I didn't mean any offense to anyone, I was just point out what I have observed. The competitions I have watched went from by the book to completely in the opposite direction on this one.

Widowmaker,

I would have to agree with you on that ("The competitions I have watched went from by the book to completely in the opposite direction on this one."). Ian has alluded in the polling thread about easing up some (or something to that effect), so probably we will have to wait to see what occurs with the February theme.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back