• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pantanal easy independent itinerary (1 Viewer)

cassowary

I'm thinking of going to the Pantanal in September for two weeks - Not surprisingly there is a lot of species overlap with the llanos of Venezuela where I have previously been... Anyway, I went through a bunch of reports on cloud-birders and there is obviously some good info there; I have only just started doing my homework on this area and I was just wondering if any independent travelers have mapped out a notably desirable route.

North or South Pantanal, Transpantaneira?
I haven't decided yet .... I have just started looking into this... I don't know how much species overlap there is between north and south etc... I'm not too twitchy, I'm just looking for a good independent itinerary or base for one. Also I'd love to have the chance of see some of the big mammals... eg: Jaguar and others again and I've haven't seen maned wolf..

I'll likely go into ebird and xeno-canto to prep if I have time.

This worked pretty well over 12 days in 2015 - bit more than just the Pantanal but you could read up on all the sites and cherry pick:

Sao Paulo
Serra das Araras
Pouso Alegre, The Pantanal
Porto Jofre, The Pantanal
Rio Claro Lodge, The Pantanal
Porto Jofre, The Pantanal
Mato Grosso, The Pantanal
Chapada dos Guimaraes
Sao Paulo

Hope you make it happen,
Andy

I'm thinking of going to the Pantanal in September for two weeks - Not surprisingly there is a lot of species overlap with the llanos of Venezuela where I have previously been... Anyway, I went through a bunch of reports on cloud-birders and there is obviously some good info there; I have only just started doing my homework on this area and I was just wondering if any independent travelers have mapped out a notably desirable route.

Hello Cassowary,

To visit this zone, the typical route is to drive down the Transpantaneira Park Road, that is easily reachable from the city of Cuiaba.

On the Transpantaneira Park Road, I highly recommend the Pouso Alegre Lodge, where is concentrated almost half of the biodiversity of the Pantanal. You can stay there a couple of days to make the most of your birding / wildlife activities. An other pousada that is noticeable is the Rio Claro lodge, especially for boat safaris. At the end of the road, Porto Jofre offers amazing jaguar spotting opportunities.

You can combine North Pantanal with the Chapada dos Guimaraes National Park. The vegetation type is locally known as the "Cerrado" (Brazilian savanna), where you can find endemic bird species and other wildlife. I've heard there is a nest of Chaco eagle you can spot at the Pousada do Parque.

An other place you can consider is the province of Bom Jardim, that is also quite close to Cuiaba. You can enjoy snorkeling in crystal clear waters and swim with Neotropical fish. There are also some good birding opportunities (tons of blue-and-yellow macaws).

As for your stay in North Pantanal, you could do a river cruise. It would allow you to exploring different areas of the Pantanal. Your chances to spot tons of singular wildlife would be increased and the experience is definitely worth it.

I can't talk much about South Pantanal, that I don't know. Some people say it's easier to spot giant anteaters there, but I think it's not true. There are several factors affecting the experience such as the guide, the location and the season.

Another aspect which must not be neglected in a trip to the Pantanal is the chance!

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
I can't talk much about South Pantanal, that I don't know. Some people say it's easier to spot giant anteaters there, but I think it's not true. There are several factors affecting the experience such as the guide, the location and the season.

I'd say it certainly is true. In the northern Pantanal you have to know where to search and have a bit of luck on your side. In the southern Pantanal (at places like Aguapé or Fazenda San Francisco) you practically have to kick the Giant Anteaters out of the way! While no wildlife is ever truly guaranteed, you'd be hard pressed to miss Giant Anteater in the southern Pantanal.

I'd say it certainly is true. In the northern Pantanal you have to know where to search and have a bit of luck on your side. In the southern Pantanal (at places like Aguapé or Fazenda San Francisco) you practically have to kick the Giant Anteaters out of the way! While no wildlife is ever truly guaranteed, you'd be hard pressed to miss Giant Anteater in the southern Pantanal.

I wasn't sure if it was a real fact, but it's very interesting to learn about it. I agree with what you said: in North Pantanal, you have to know the lodges, and you need a good guide to find anteaters.

Mt Adventure and Sclateria thanks for the info. Mt Adventure on paper your itinerary does sound enticing and nice and easy. I'm a little concerned with Cuiaba having such a high murder rate but I assume things get safer outside the city. Those lodges look great. Can you recommend any companies for a river cruise? that really does sound a nice and easy way to start a Pantanal adventure.

Mt Adventure and Sclateria thanks for the info. Mt Adventure on paper your itinerary does sound enticing and nice and easy. I'm a little concerned with Cuiaba having such a high murder rate but I assume things get safer outside the city. Those lodges look great. Can you recommend any companies for a river cruise? that really does sound a nice and easy way to start a Pantanal adventure.

I can understand your concern with Cuiaba. I used to find the murder rate in this city frightening a couple of years ago. But honestly, I live in Cuiaba for more than a year and absolutely nothing happened to me ( I am French). People in Cuiaba are friendly and if you have some time to spend there, local food is a must try.

Cuiaba is the gateway to the Pantanal, so you shouldn't stay long there. You will be picked up at the airport and transfered to the points of interest.

I can definitely recommend to you a company. I'm going to send to you a message about it. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back