• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon monarch 7 8x42 or 10x42? (1 Viewer)

Hello all,
I am a new member. I already have Kite Lynx 8x30 HD binoculars which are lightweight and I am happy with.
I am purchasing the M7 mentioned above. I had initial thoughts about the 8x42s which would give a wide field of view. However would purchasing the10x42s another option when in an open field or coast location?
Thanks

Hello all,
I am a new member. I already have Kite Lynx 8x30 HD binoculars which are lightweight and I am happy with.
I am purchasing the M7 mentioned above. I had initial thoughts about the 8x42s which would give a wide field of view. However would purchasing the10x42s another option when in an open field or coast location?
Thanks
Welcome to Bird Forum! I would choose the 8x42 first because it is the most versatile binocular then later on add the 10x42 to your collection if you can swing it. A 10x42 is nice for open field's and coastal area's. Having a 8x42 and a 10x42 works out very well for different locations.

Hello all,
Thanks

Welcome to Bird Forum! I would choose the 8x42 first because it is the most versatile binocular then later on add the 10x42 to your collection if you can swing it. A 10x42 is nice for open field's and coastal area's. Having a 8x42 and a 10x42 works out very well for different locations.
Thanks for your advice, which I shall take.

I don't know what you want from them and if you want a good binocular or if you want an excellent binocular.... But on Amazon at the moment they vary from £419 to £465 for the Monarchs but on this forum on Binoculars for Sale......"dries 1" in Delaware US has some Leica Trinovid 10x42, which ARE excellent for £565. Sometimes it's better to get a top notch used instead of an average new.

Just my two - penneth....

(And by the way if you've got an 8x30 with good FOV the 10's will give you a nice closer image with slightly less FOV but still very acceptable.)

Last edited:
If it were my choice I'd go with a 10x as you already have an 8x of fairly comparable quality, just smaller objective. If you've going from one binocular to two, having two different magnifications would be more useful than having the same magnification in two objective sizes.

I own the Monarch 7 10x42 and like them a lot. I/m relatively new to optics, and it's easy to get overwhelmed with comparing specs and deciding on what you want. But these work really well for me in looking at relatively large things that don't move a lot: Geese and ducks on a pond, big birds in trees, mammals eating grass, and scenery.

At 10x I do have a little difficulty holding them steady - although getting better with technique. And I recently bought a harness to get the weight off my neck via the neck strap. Meh. I also don't like them as much as my 8x33 binoculars for looking at birds in flight or the smaller birds that move around a lot.

I do like them a lot, though.

I think it depends on what you would use this other pair of binoculars for: more reach/magnification or brighter view at darker hours?
If the main use will be during the day, with good/OK light, I think you might not gain anything significant from a 8x42 compared to your 8x30 (both of comparable quality optics) if you already like your 8x30. If it is aimed as an alternative in open field/coast location, on the condition of having steady hands/holding technique and/or e.g.some support (e.g.leaning on something), than the 10x does add a bit of detail/magnification.
If you like your 8x30 and (almost) never miss some added brightness but only reach, I would probably go for the 10x42.

My personal experience is as follows: I have had a good Kite Birder 10,5x44 for >15years now as my only binoculars and bought a Kite Lynx HD 8x30 a few months ago. I’m now almost always using the 8x30 and take it with me more often than I did my 10,5x44 (also on smaller walks with family not aimed at observing) as it is so comfortable to use (considerably lighter,,compact enough but not too much,thus easy to hold,8x thus a bit steadier,wider FOV and easier for friends/family to use when walking together). I will keep my 10,5x44 both for sentimental reasons (my first own and until last year only binoculars) but also when going specifically to coastal areas/open field/observation posts or in much poorer light (very early/late,e.g. owls or so, even though a 50mm,which I don’t have, would probably be better).
I have to admit that I’m not sure which option to buy myself in a future upgrade, considering my current setup. I bought my first spotting scope end of last year and find it to make a good tandem with the Lynx 8x30. Thus maybe I should stop the big spendings...

If you don’t own a spotting scope or plan to some day, I would recommend to test how steady you feel with the heavier 42mm and 10x. If OK and you feel a gain in details observed compared to your 8x, I would go for the 10x42mm.
There is also the option of a 10x50, like the relatively(for a 50mm!) light/compact 10x50mm Kite Lynx HD of course... :). I have never tried it though, so I cannot comment on it, but I would probably consider it as a good 2-binoculars-setup: a 8x30/32 + a 10x50 , but would try it first. (while for a single-binocular-setup I would go for 8x32 or 8x42...)

Last edited:
I've owned the Nikon 10x42 Monarch 7 for several years. It is very good, and I think it would be a very
good compliment to your 8x30. So, proceed with confidence, it is a very good choice in this price range.

Jerry

Step up from what?

Not looked through any Olympus binoculars for many years but would personally reach for a Nikon Monarch 7 in the first instance.

Received Nikon monarch 7 8x42 yesterday. Took them out today.
Very pleased with the optics and comfort of them.
However usual problem with the lens caps did not fit snuggly,also a little play with the eye cups.
Concerned that over the longer term it may become a problem.
Very impressed with detail of birds observed today.

Received Nikon monarch 7 8x42 yesterday. Took them out today.
Very pleased with the optics and comfort of them.
However usual problem with the lens caps did not fit snuggly,also a little play with the eye cups.
Concerned that over the longer term it may become a problem.
Very impressed with detail of birds observed today.

Congratulations on your new binoculars!
May I ask 2 quesions?
1) out of curiosity, what made you choose the 8x42 and not the 10x42 while still having a 8x30?
2) As they should be of comparable optical quality but of course of different objective and thus eye pupil size, did you compare the 8x30 and 8x42 directly together and what are your findings comparing them mainly optically? (Both in good/regular daylight and e.g.at late/dimmer lit hours, regarding brightness, level of detail...)
In theory, I would expect the 8x42mm to be only noticeably better when in poorly lit hours of the day, but I might be forgetting something and I am curious about your hands-on findings, which is what really counts.

mbb,
Can comment on Kite Lynx hd 8x30 (NOT the +), and Nike Monarch 7 8x42.
Lynx is lightweight, really well made clear optics good case. As a travel binocular excellent. I will be using these for that purpose e.g. holidays.
Initial reactions on Monarch 7.Being 8x42 should and does let in more light. As well as bright. I’m impressed with the more detail observed through them. The optics are better. They are great quality for that price point.
However(see above posts by myself) the lens caps are too big.The eyecups rotate marginally when fully extended. the binocular case is underwhelming.
The Nikon Monarch 7 will be my first choice when birdwatching.
Obviously this a personal judgement.
Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back