• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Travelling to Atacama in October (1 Viewer)

etudiant

Supporter
Hi,
I'm spending 10 days in northern Chile this October as part of a tour of the
telescope complexes there. As a birder, this seems like too good an opportunity to ignore. Any suggestions for species to look for as well as books or sites of special interest would be much appreciated.

Hello,

Lauca Nationalparc with fantastic scenery of Payatas has some birdlife like Andean Goose, Andean Flamingo and Nandu.

Best regards
Dieter

Chile

Hello,

I was only for mounatin climbing in Chile.
So I can only recommend what is written in the internet.
From Santiago I visited Cayon de Maipo for acclimatization.
In the east part is El Volcan and Marmelejo ( > 6.000 m ).

The north I visited also for mountain climbing.
I started from Bolivia. In the acclimatization time I traveled round.
At first Sajama national parc. There are lots of Alpaca on the lake in the opposite of Nevado Sajama also Vicuna and Nandu.
At second I visited also the area of lake Chungura.
In the lake are Flamingos. Around the e.g. in village Chungura I saw Andean Goose and Nandu.
It is high desert area with nice scenery with different vulcanos.
Different of them over 6.000 m high.
I think Acotango is still smoking.
Most spectacular are the Payatas which means twins.
From peaks You have extrem view. In clear winter morning ( July ) we could see Illimani and different mountains of Andean range.

Best regards
Dieter

Last edited:
etudiant,
Please check out our website ( www.fsexpeditions.com ), there you will get some advises that may help, also if you want to buy some book related to birdwatching you can check our online store (www.fseditorial.com ) , but there is an small details, it is currently in spanish, but I am working in the translation.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back