• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fair Isle/ Orkney in August (1 Viewer)

AlanR

Bird photographer
United Kingdom
I am in the process of setting up a visit to the Fair Isle Bird Observatory, which promises:
"Over 250,000 seabirds of 18 different species nest on the island, ten of which nest on Fair Isle in nationally or internationally important numbers, these being: Fulmar, Gannet, Shag, Arctic Skua, Great Skua, Kittiwake, Arctic Tern, Guillemot, Razorbill and Puffin. Other species nest in smaller numbers, these being Storm Petrel, Eider, Common Tern, Black Guillemot, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Great Black-backed Gull and Common Gull."
It's a complicated journey to get there via Aberdeen and Kirkwall. My question is this: - Given the birds I am likely to see at Fair Isle, is there anything to be said for brief stops on the way at either Aberdeen or Kirkwall? If so where should I look at these stopover sites?
Alan
:t::t::t:

One thing to bear in mind is that a lot of seabirds will have left their colonies by August and so although you're likely to see most of those species you might not get very close views of some. Aberdeen is very good for birding with some different opportunities to Orkney or Fair Isle. Inland areas would be the most different e.g. forest and upland habitats, but they're probably not at their best in August. Sites like the Ythan Estuary and Loch of Strathbeg would be good at that time of the year.

I'm a bit surprised you're trying to go via Orkney, because it would easier to get to Fair Isle from Shetland, which would also have some very good birding opportunities.

I've been to Shetland twice, but never Fair Isle. You can get a plane from Sumburgh Airport (Shetland) to Fair Isle, or a ferry. One runs from Grutness pier (near Sumburgh) but its quite small and unreliable in bad weather. A more reliable ferry runs from Lerwick port in Shetland and is a much bigger vehicle so is more reliable. Saying this, its still the North sea so I think the ferries only run in the summer. I was on the Lerwick ferry going to Bressay and saw the prices for going to different islands within Shetland. Bressay is only 40p there and Fair Isle is apparently only 20p!!! I asked the crew about this and they said it was only 20p. So thats the cheapest route - maybe not the most comfortable!
I would go to Shetland and then Fair Isle if I were you, its much nicer scenery from what I've heard. And Shetland is certainly a lot more remote. Plus, in August there might be a few scarce migrants around already. When I went for the first time I got Red-Rumped Swallow and narrowly missed Marsh Warbler and Common Rosefinch!
Hope this helps, have a nice time on Fair Isle. I suppose you've already found it, but heres the Fair Isle bird website www.fairislebirdobs.co.uk
Hope this is helpful
Sim

Just to reiterate what every one else is saying. Your best bet is Shetland to travel down to Fair Isle...Aug is getting into the quieter time of year here on Orkney although theres still plenty of birds to see. The right weather from the continent will liven it up,but the sames true of Shetland and Fair Isle.

Thanks for the advice but I have now booked my route - via Kirkwall in Orkney. I have allowed one day at Kirkwall and will probably try their local RSPB site which looks within walking distance.
I'm sure I will manage some bird pictures which may make their way into my Gallery!
Alan

Travel to Fair Isle

Re the ferry to Fair Isle, someone said: "One runs from Grutness pier (near Sumburgh) but its quite small and unreliable in bad weather. A more reliable ferry runs from Lerwick port in Shetland and is a much bigger vehicle so is more reliable."

Sorry, but that's rubbish. It's the SAME BOAT that does both journeys. Every 2nd Thursday it does the longer run to Lerwick, the rest of the time it goes to Grutness. It's the Good Shepherd, has a great crew from Fair Isle and is very reliable. It's a bumpy crossing though, even in good weather, so take seasickness pills - the crew have a good supply of bags too :)

The plane from either Shetland or Orkney is an easier way to go - but I've been in Fair Isle when the plane has not gone but the ferry has, so the ferry is in fact probably the most reliable way to go.

And Alan, I don't know which RSPB site you're talking about within walking distance of Kirkwall??? but there are several RSPB sites in Orkney and plenty other good places to see birds too.

And Alan, I don't know which RSPB site you're talking about within walking distance of Kirkwall??? but there are several RSPB sites in Orkney and plenty other good places to see birds too.
I was thinking of Hobbister. I know it's 4 to 5 miles away. If the weather is not too good I may reconsider how I get there!
Alan

Hi Alan - Drop me a PM and I'll give you some contact details of local (Orkney) birders who will, I'm sure, be happy to help out. If I'm not busy, I'll drive you around to a couple of sites. Have a great trip!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back