• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leicestershire and Rutland Birding/Local Patches (1 Viewer)

Hey guys

Not much to report on, Common gull and yellow leg gull down brascote on thursday, Tree sparrows and some Goldcrest showing really well @ thornton res today.

Not mega rare but best i could do and bloody nice:t:

Karpman

hey Leicester boys any more news on that little bittern on your patch......regards Steve stokie birder

No sign of the Little Bittern all day yesterday at Cossington Meadows, but I did see a Barn Owl hunting over the fields near the entrance to reserve at dusk.

No sign of the Little Bittern all day yesterday at Cossington Meadows, but I did see a Barn Owl hunting over the fields near the entrance to reserve at dusk.

Thanks for that.........we have seen a rise in the numbers of Barn owls around Stoke there's a breeding pair not far from myself here in the Meir area, of course we do well for the long eared also up to a dozen birds roost just a mile from my house at Park Hall , Ozz

Good numbers of Redwings and Fieldfares heard calling over night at the General Hospital.
Also two groups of Fieldfares (20+ and 30+) flying south-west over the hospital just before 7.00am this morning.

One of the best days of the autumn on Deans Lane today - plenty of Fieldfares, Starlings and Chaffinches (305, a site record), plus the first real (??) movement of Woodpigeons.

And a Lapland Bunting.

Steve

vis mig Cosby

Managed a few holes at Cosby Golf Course but was very distracted by excellent visible migration (that's my excuse). Waves of thrushes mainly but best Skylark passage I've seen/heard in a long time. Small groups of Redpoll, Siskin, Linnet and other 'finches', Autumn in all its glory.

Hi Adey, I spoke to Chris Hill (warden at Cossington) and he said that Swan Meadow had good numbers of Voles on it!:t:

cheers,
Dave.

Might be worth trying a few likely-looking sites anywhere else, then, just to see what's around.

I had a Red Kite this afternoon drifting around Burbage Common - still quite a scarce bird locally, though not newsworthy enough for LROS news page these days. ;) Very grotty light conditions so no decent photos - hope it hangs around until the sun shines again...

The Great White Egret seen on and off around the Croft area was relocated this morning. Just inside the parish boundary of Narborough at SP525965 at Flash Farm, next to the River Soar. Viewable from the boardwalk at the bottom of Huncote Embankment at the southern end. Somewhat distantly;) though fine through a 'scope!

Attachments

• _MG_5462.jpg
    _MG_5462.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 72
The same or a different GWE was reported flying north over Stanford Res this afternoon.

And a tantalising view of what could have been a Richard's Pipit over the 'owl field' at Cossington Meadows for one lucky chap.

Steve

Another report of GWEgret at Rutland Water on Thursday but only very brief.
Still Red-throated Diver, Slav and 4 Black-necked Grebes and a few Whooper Swans there.

Steve

Another report of GWEgret at Rutland Water on Thursday but only very brief.
Still Red-throated Diver, Slav and 4 Black-necked Grebes and a few Whooper Swans there.

Steve

Cheers steve

Still not made the trip to rutland:-C
Gonna head over to kelham bridge and scence valley try me luck:)

karpman

I wonder just how many/few GW Egrets are around in the county - it would be nice to get simultaneous sightings of two just to prove there's more than one bird involved (none seen in the Croft area this morning)

One (maybe two?) Great Northern Divers now with the Red-throated (maybe still two?) at Rutland Water, off the dam or Whitwell.
Two Slavs reported yesterday, rather than the usual one, plus four Black-necked (there are usually five) - South Arm III from Gadwall Hide.

Steve

Could not find any divers yesterday but it is a big place.

Slav and 4 Black-necked Grebes still in South Arm III, along with an impressive pre-roost of about 3000 Common Gulls blanketing the shore by Gadwall Hide.

4 Whooper Swans North Arm, and 19 mobile Red-crested Pochards.

Interesting large gull on Lagoon IV looked to be a Caspian x Herring hybrid.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back