• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please critique (1 Viewer)

yellow_belly

Bird Watcher
Hi - please let me know what you think regarding this, I think the background is a bit busy but I am interested in what you think - thanks.

Terry

Attachments

• treesparrow.jpg
    treesparrow.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 244
Hi Terry,
I'm with Elizabeth on this one. I'd be proud if it was mine! There's nothing wrong with the background or anything else. It's a great photo. Nice coloring throughout.

Terry.
that photo is somthing to be very proud of, its a beautiful clear shake free shot of another of our birds that is on the decline, Tree sparrow. the out of
focus background gives a real boost to the birds plumage, and does not distract from the overall photo
the catchlight in the eye brings life to your bird.
bert.

Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated, and I take it that the background is not an issue for you :) - thanks.

Helen - sorry I should have stated in the original post that it was taken with a Canon 300D and 75-300mm lens @300mm using a beanbag (bag of rice from Tesco - not sure if it was long or short grain :) ) for support.

Terry

Terry,

It is a lovely photo and I agree with much of what has been said. Talking about the technical aspects, the only distraction for me in the bg is the stick coming up through the bird's tail (as it were). It also appears to be oversharpened, a bit too much USM perhaps.

Brian

bcurrie said:
the only distraction for me in the bg is the stick coming up through the bird's tail (as it were). It also appears to be oversharpened, a bit too much USM perhaps.
Brian
Hi Brian - thanks for the comments and yes the stick you refer to seems to me to make the sparrow look like he is jet propelled :)

Terry

Tom Moodie said:
Think I'll sell my tripod and buy a bag of rice if you get results like this. Nice photo.
Tom
Hi Tom - yes as I said I cant remember if the rice was long or short grain but when you buy yours I would definately stay away from Pilau :)

Terry

yellow_belly said:
Hi - please let me know what you think regarding this, I think the background is a bit busy but I am interested in what you think - thanks.
Terry

I like the shot. I agree that it leans toward too much sharpening applied which surpirses me a bit considering this was taken with a 300D. This makes me wonder if the image was significantly cropped and to further wonder if the image might be improved by not being so tightly cropped? The bothersome branches can probably be improved by some burning in and if you want to spend even more time. Depending on the patterns of the branches, there might even be a compositionally more interesting crop with the bird not dead in the center. It would be interesting to see a full frame image to see the possibilities.

Jay Turberville said:
I like the shot. I agree that it leans toward too much sharpening applied which surpirses me a bit considering this was taken with a 300D. This makes me wonder if the image was significantly cropped
Hi Jay - yes it is cropped quite a lot from the original and I *always* tend to crop too tightly, it is how I personally like my pictures but I must try and get out of that habit :) As for the sharpening, IMO everyone who mentioned it is also correct that it is a bit oversharpened, this was an excercise for me where I only wanted to sharpen the bird and not the background so that may also contribute to the excess sharpening perceived on the bird :)

Thanks for your input Jay :)

Terry

Hello,
I semi agree on the above posts..
As to me the oversharpening only catches my eye around the sparrows head, the rest of the bird looks good to me.
What you could try is after you have USM'ed the bird, use the history brush technique to remove sharpening from areas where it's standing out too much.
Or probably a better way is to create a seperate selection layer around the birds head
then lock it while USM'ing the bird. After that use a lesser amount of USM on the head layer.
Regards
Pete.

Last edited:
peteh said:
As to me the oversharpening only catches my eye around the sparrows head
Very observant Peteh :) I sharpened the whole picture first and the background showed a little noise so as an excercise I softened the background, just to see if I could :) Although the bird looked ok with the sharpening I had originally done the head was still 'off' as there seemed to be a slight movement in the head as can be seen by the elongated catchlight in the eye. I then did some extra sharpening to just the head to see if this could be rectified and was not totally happy with the outcome which is why I asked for comments to see if anyone would notice :)

My thanks to everyone for their comments which are much appreciated.

Terry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back