• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (2 Viewers)

Some Falcon action while watching the Shrike just as Skeleton Man arrived.

A Sparrowhawk and Crow having a go at each other way over the oaks and a Kestrel in the middle of the field...why are they always looking the other way?
Still great to watch it all though.
Keith :t:

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 38 022.JPG
    2014 Canon 38 022.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 2014 Canon 38 026.JPG
    2014 Canon 38 026.JPG
    341.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 2014 Canon 38 028.JPG
    2014 Canon 38 028.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 59
...and the Kestrel.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 38 032.JPG
    2014 Canon 38 032.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 38
  • 2014 Canon 38 034.JPG
    2014 Canon 38 034.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 2014 Canon 38 036.JPG
    2014 Canon 38 036.JPG
    369.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 2014 Canon 38 037.JPG
    2014 Canon 38 037.JPG
    401.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 2014 Canon 38 039.JPG
    2014 Canon 38 039.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 56
Got a phone call from the finder, Gary Prescott, yesterday at 12:33. He was driving along the road when he first spotted it. He got out of his car and watched it in a field which was planted up with trees. He said it was quite distant at that point and he only had his bins with him. Then he said John Belsey (Upstarts1979) had just arrived - I presume John managed to see it ok (?).

A very nice bird to stumble upon that's for sure - it probably made Gary's day. :t:

Famous for finding the Shrike BUT now gone mega.....had a pic on Midlands Today......well same name anyway....lol

Keith

p.s. BTW...The Shrike is still hanging around the middle Oak all this week - despite some " interference" the other day....

Thought the Shrike would have been off this weekend with the "spring in the Air" feeling...and a lot of disturbance this week but no....
Just left and it was doing the usual...around the middle Oak.

Shrike hanging in there still......
The difference of Saturday and Sunday was remarkable......loads of birds around Saturday but only a few today.

From both days...
Fieldfare
Redwing.
Crow
Jackdaw
Raven
Buzzard
Kestrel
Shrike
Blue Tit
L.T.Tit,
Great Tit
Chaffinch
Robin
Heron
Magpie
Jay
Dunnock
G.S.Woodpecker
Wood Pigeon
Wren
B.H.Gull
Mallard
Moorhen
Starling
Kingfisher
Pheasant

Rabbit
Squiggle

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 44 016 low.jpg
    2014 Canon 44 016 low.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 53
  • 2014 Canon 43 119 low.jpg
    2014 Canon 43 119 low.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 2014 Canon 44 024 CROP low.jpg
    2014 Canon 44 024 CROP low.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 2014 Canon 43 126.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 43 126.jpg low.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 53
  • 2014 Canon 44 018.JPG
    2014 Canon 44 018.JPG
    372.3 KB · Views: 56
Not had a lot of time to keep tabs on the Shrike....but thanks to Paul ( lesser kestrel) for noting it is still there.

I Had set up the hide again over the weekend now the water in the stream is finally dropping and its a bit clearer.
Not seen the Kingfisher on my daily visits ....BUT got there yesterday and someone had torn the hide down and disposed of it.
Found it later UPSTREAM dumped around some submerged branches......so had to return to my tried and trusted FULL CAMO just sitting there and the Kingfisher dropped in ....well did a flypast.But its a start...lol

Just catching up as computer out of action all wek and now working on a laptop.

Had a Pair of TEAL in the casual (flood) water on the corner by the causeway road on Lower Bittell on Friday morning....no sighting all week of Shrike but not looked today.

Glad you returned Dave and finally saw it ( him? )....far off but still a spot.

After you left it had to dodge some dog walking birders but settled down and was "hawking" insects as I left around 1.15pm.Despite being around the oaks I could make out what I think was a large bumble bee he was after.

Did not get the king on the river but did later on the outfall at mill Shrub.

That was me Keith - had a quick look from the canal side instead, had a scan for you or anybody else at the roadside but did'nt see anybody....

Laurie:t:

More of the Shrike today...in the bottom field again and some more flying displays.
Imitating a Kestrel today...hovering over the trees.
Up on the tree tops quite close then hiding and preening really low down then off over the trees by the stream and seemed to land in the tree by where we all stand by the road...2nd time I have seen this.
The tree has a split down the trunk and I am sure it hides stuff in there.......

Attachments

• laptop 3 009.JPG
    laptop 3 009.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 56
  • laptop 3 031.JPG
    laptop 3 031.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 51
Not quite Bittell but I had 2 Wheatear s 1 male looking very smart at the back of horse paddocks opposite junction of Good rest lane and Redhill road this morning first in the county I think.

Nice one ...was looking in the sheep fields here myself the other day.
Have to do a another visit......they were here last year as well.

Bit early for the Ring Ouzels I suppose but as not seen any of them yet.

Could not find any Wheatear in paddocks....but only got bins and so could havs been at far back.
10 + Lapwing and found ONE of the Wheatear in ploughed field on Goodrest half way up from Redhill and the ponds.
Hopefully pics to follow.

Got to do goole maps for which county....might be West Mids.

Keith

Users who are viewing this thread

Back