• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (2 Viewers)

Think its still in Worcestershire ...not found border yet.

Trouble putting pics on as can't use ones from photobucket...no way of resizing as only got laptop with no software.:-C
Keith :t:

Glad you returned Dave and finally saw it ( him? )....far off but still a spot.

After you left it had to dodge some dog walking birders but settled down and was "hawking" insects as I left around 1.15pm.Despite being around the oaks I could make out what I think was a large bumble bee he was after.

Did not get the king on the river but did later on the outfall at mill Shrub.

Thanks for last Sunday Keith. Good to hear you saw the king; still nothing at Arrow Valley.

Think its still in Worcestershire ...not found border yet.

Trouble putting pics on as can't use ones from photobucket...no way of resizing as only got laptop with no software.:-C

Well it appears this end of the lane IS in Worcestershire.....popped in today after the rain and no sign of the Wheaters but the Lapwings were happy in amongst the earth clods.
Keith:t:

Attachments

• LAPWING 1.JPG
    LAPWING 1.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 47
  • LAPWING 2 A.jpg
    LAPWING 2 A.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 47
  • laptop 5 081.JPG
    laptop 5 081.JPG
    386.9 KB · Views: 70
  • laptop 5 099.JPG
    laptop 5 099.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 68
Keithr

hi Keith
as there has not been any reports of the Great Grey Shike lately I guess it may of moved on.if so can I congratulate you and the other birders for keeping us up to date through out its stay on this thread,good job by all, heres to the next co-operative bird, and to the guy who spotted it in the first place Gary keep them peeled

I have been taking part in normal life for most of this week so have not been able to put any real time into trying to find him.
Despite this I still saw someone trying to hide by one of the back trees so they must think its still around.

I could borrow a tape and see if he comes over ...or maybe he's a she and couldn't give a damn....LOL

Thanks for the mention - the pleasure was all mine and I am sure the other guys feel the same.

Well done for that......will have to get down there later......as I say (I have had a few doctors and hospital visits this week ) not been able to get around as I would have liked.

TAPES......I remember in the early '70's I was on an organised birdwatching trip with the WMBC to the Bredon Hill area and someone official had an old fashioned reel to reel tape recorder ...how he managed to carry it I don't know....and after a couple of plays we had a performing Marsh Warbler.He couldn't have sneaked that into the woods at Earlswood......LOL

Keith:t:

Went for some therapy after the latest humiliation......(Villa).....could not pick up on the Shrike or Kingfisher at Hopwood or Wheatear or Ring Ouzels on Wast Hills.
Had the Kingfisher on Lower around 9am though (no Firecrest around Redditch later)

Brimstones everywhere.

Managed to get the Shrike at my 3rd attempt today, showing well in the field slightly to the right, 1st time in seeing one such a cracking bird!

Also spotted around 6 or 7 buzzards overhead, a cracking Yellowhammer which came very close to the perimeter and a reddish/brown looking bird (especially the tail) bobbing from left to right very quickly, could not get onto it with the bins in time and it dropped down just before the hedge around 15 yards to the right of the main field.
My first thought was female Redstart after doing some research when I got back but I really didn't get a good enough look it at to make an assumption.

Nice one Mr Finch......congrats on getting it - the persistance paid off.
Were you pleased with it......we love it ...a local star.

I had it around 8am in that area but it eventually ended up by the Oaks where it was being "studied" by 2 men and dogs.It went off in a huff over the right ridge.
Had to leave around 9.45 and could not get back until 2ish where it was again in the same place around the right/middle.
Warwick and Paul arrived and it was around in front of the Oak line for ages but the real action was with the Buzzards with around 4 at one time but 2 took up residence in the Oaks where they mated and he went off and bought her a late lunch in the left Oak.

Warwick had to leave and shortly after me and Paul had a masterclass in the Shrike art of stalking,diving,flying and catching as well as just being a stand out bird.....and as Paul noted lets hope it stays a few more days to ring up its 5th calendar month in the area....my backyard...thanks Shrikey.

We also had a flyover Peregrine (poss Male) which looked on a mission to get somewhere but deviated after a Wood Pigeon that was stupid enough to fly out of a tree right in front of him.....he missed but it would have been only for fun anyway.
Great Spotted Woods were drumming all weekend to the left with many flyovers along with a vocal Green and Paul was sure he had a Lesser fly up onto the middle Oak...I have had a possible here in previous years as well.
No Kestrels today but did have one yesterday.

Mr Finch...we did not have anything that looked like a Redstart but did discuss the possibility and past ones in the area.....along this hedge the weekend had Blue Tits,Great Tits,Dunnock,Blackbirds,Song Thrush,Robin,Chaffinch and a Skylark heard in field over the road...which has been ploughed for the 1st time for ages (ever ?).
Also had a lovely male Reed Bunting further up in the top field.
The ever present Crows and Magpies keep us amused as they stalked in the grass...also at least 2 Raven were circling around.
There should be an ever present Peregrine as Pigeons are everywhere.

Around the lanes I had a green Woodpecker but no sign of any Ring Ouzel still.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 46 076.JPG
    2014 Canon 46 076.JPG
    403 KB · Views: 53
  • 2014 Canon 46 087.JPG
    2014 Canon 46 087.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 2014 Canon 46 091.JPG
    2014 Canon 46 091.JPG
    380.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 2014 Canon 46 099.JPG
    2014 Canon 46 099.JPG
    457.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 2014 Canon 46 020.JPG
    2014 Canon 46 020.JPG
    367.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
and more.....

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 45 102.JPG
    2014 Canon 45 102.JPG
    422.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2014 Canon 45 103.JPG
    2014 Canon 45 103.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 2014 Canon 46 122.JPG
    2014 Canon 46 122.JPG
    444.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 2014 Canon 46 138.JPG
    2014 Canon 46 138.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Firecrest

Went for some therapy after the latest humiliation......(Villa).....could not pick up on the Shrike or Kingfisher at Hopwood or Wheatear or Ring Ouzels on Wast Hills.
Had the Kingfisher on Lower around 9am though (no Firecrest around Redditch later)

Brimstones everywhere.

Keith,

I've not seen the Firecrest again and I walk up there 4 to 5 times a day, last time of day is after midnight and the place full of bat's some small one's and others a mid size at the right time of year, first seen this year was 1st of March, but my last walk of the day is to feed the foxes.

Graham

finally got it! :D

Well chuffed yesterday to finally get a sight of the Great Grey Shrike o:) after several attempts I was rewarded to an excellent view of it, just sat there in a sapling near to a tiny patch of daffodils (just to the right of the large central tree the buzzards keep landing in - an Oak I think??) for at least 15 minutes.

Got excellent views of a male Yellowhammer too, he was in and out of the trees to the left and quite near to the hedge; he was singing his little head off, which for me (a massive passerine fan) was a real treat!

o:D

Attachments

• yhammer.jpg
    yhammer.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 96
Fantastic that you finally got a view of it....and a good one at that.....he's looking even better now with all the trees starting to get leaves as well as the splash of yellow everywhere.....daffs as well as the Hammer.:-O

p.s. and thank to everyone for reporting Shrike and all the other sightings.....it all helps to paint a picture of the area.

SHRIKE.....1st timers who looked like Dad and daughter got it around Middle Oak around 4pm.

Lower Bittell.Still quiet with Swans nesting in reeds on Mill Shrub - no Grebes here.
Lots of Grebe and Tufteds on lower with Buzzard always around as nest nearby.
Kingfisher patrolling the stream moving towards canal.
A small flock of Redwing were feeding on the trees around the corner by the parking place.

The Upton Osprey failed to turn up ..but probably I was late or maybe it was on upper, in which case the above people from the Shrike field got it as I told them it was worth going up there as they were new to Bittell.

Rain stopped play ...early bath around 5.30....so much for the clocks giving extra spotting time.

keith :t:

The Shrike has now been here over 5 calendar months...and to celebrate it stayed well at the back.:-O

Osprey reported at Bittell this morning - caught a fish on Upper and flew off with it. No sign when I went to look around the area, though "needle in a haystack" sprung to mind...

The shrike strayed quite close to the road briefly though. Saw it chase and catch a bee, and also eat a caterpillar.

A selection of pics from my brief visit, including one with daffs in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_8299.jpg
    IMG_8299.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_8226.jpg
    IMG_8226.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8256.jpg
    IMG_8256.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 85
We have been waiting for the Osprey to drop in....ah well next year now....lol

Hey Pete do you book the Shrike up for close ups....mind you you can get more reach than me.:-C

keith :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back